NV and H.264 acceleration ?

chavvdarrr

Veteran
anyone able to see this in action ?
I have 6600 and tried to see what happens, but unfortunately the Nero codec seems to have "priority" and i don't know how to remove it and use NV's codec :(

I've been trying to put some testing together using the trial version of NVIDIA's latest PureVideo decoder with the latest ForceWare 84.12 Beta drivers up against 81.98, and I'm not seeing any difference in CPU utilisation between the two either.

I'm sure there must be something I'm missing, but I just can't figure out what...

For 84.xx you might need an even newer version of the decoder (not available yet) to see any extra performance difference.

do you see new icon at tray bar while playing video content ?
I don't... just sucessfully removed all kind of Nero-related decoders... and now WMPlayer says that there is no codec able to play h.264 content :(, to me the instalation of this NV codec seems broken

Rys said:
For 84.xx you might need an even newer version of the decoder (not available yet) to see any extra performance difference.

The latest PureVideo decoder download is dated March 2nd - It mentioned the following in the release notes, so I kinda assumed it has been released around that time due to having H.264 hardware decoding included:

Support for High Definition (HD) inverse telecine on compatible GPUs. See http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html for a list of supported GPUs.

Heh, hadn't seen that. I'm not 100% sure, then! :LOL:

do I need anything else? separate h.264 codec ?
I thought that this "purevideo" IS h.264 codec... or I need this, 84.12 AND codec from nero/windvd/powerdvd ?
I'll try with 81.98 also....

edit: opening DVD with WMP shows the NV purevideo icon in tray ... but who cares about DVD acceleration !?

PS: installed VLC 0.8.4b
several mp4 files now play very smooth - 30% CPu utilisation (iP4 620, 3.0GHz, 1GB ram on i915 chipset, 6600GT)
the NV icon is not visible on th etray but pure video MUST be working - few hours ago same files were playing choppy with >50% cpu utilisation

edit: actually 30% means 60, cause the cpu uses HT ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nero have a 30 day trial of Nero 7 Ultra Edition, which includes H.264 decoding support for NVIDIA boards. You can grab that from here.

Also, PC Inpact have tested NVIDIA's H.264 decoding here (It's in French, here's the Google translated version).

Guess I'll have to give it a try using Nero ShowTime to see how it goes.

chavvdarrr said:
PS: installed VLC 0.8.4b
several mp4 files now play very smooth - 30% CPu utilisation (iP4 620, 3.0GHz, 1GB ram on i915 chipset, 6600GT)
the NV icon is not visible on th etray but pure video MUST be working - few hours ago same files were playing choppy with >50% cpu utilisation

VLC uses libvacodec which certainly doesn't support Purevideo.

breez said:
VLC uses libvacodec which certainly doesn't support Purevideo.
Right now VLC definetely IS NOT using ffdshow , cause in ffdshow CP i disabled it from playing h.264 content, and indeed the ffdshow video codec icon is not shown in the tray.
CPu utilisation is lower also.
Just don't ask me what codec VLC is using..... :D

chavvdarrr said:
Right now VLC definetely IS NOT using ffdshow , cause in ffdshow CP i disabled it from playing h.264 content, and indeed the ffdshow video codec icon is not shown in the tray.
CPu utilisation is lower also.
Just don't ask me what codec VLC is using..... :D

VLC doesn't use DS filters at all, but its own set of codecs which libavcodec (ffmpeg) is a part of and handles all H.264 content playback in VLC.

breez said:
VLC doesn't use DS filters at all, but its own set of codecs which libavcodec (ffmpeg) is a part of and handles all H.264 content playback in VLC.
ok.
facts:
Installed 84.12
Installed Pure Video
Installed Nero 7.0.5.5
Enabled HW acc
tried to play the mentioned 110MB h.264 file (the greatest game)
Starts playing, but image stills in one moment on another (few seconds play ok). Then... still image. Also before "stilling from time to time there are colourful artefacts... like from shifting hue/saturation controls . OSD shows that content is AVC "hardware accelerated" . LOL
CPU utilisation is HIGH - 80+% on iP4 3.0GHz, HT ON
Another h.264 file, downloaded from MS site with trailer for Underworld:evolution plays ok. CPU is ~ 30% (so taking in account HT - 60%)
video: 6600GE (450/1000)

With VLC, Underworld plays ok and CPu utilisation is LOWER, say ~20%
"The greatest game" plays ... with high CPU load, every 2-3 seconds of playback are followed from 5-6 sec of still image, but at least after that for another few seconds there is "moving picture" :D

Reactions: Geo
chavvdarrr said:
ok.
facts:
Installed 84.12
Installed Pure Video
Installed Nero 7.0.5.5
Enabled HW acc
tried to play the mentioned 110MB h.264 file (the greatest game)
Starts playing, but image stills in one moment on another (few seconds play ok). Then... still image. Also before "stilling from time to time there are colourful artefacts... like from shifting hue/saturation controls . OSD shows that content is AVC "hardware accelerated" . LOL
CPU utilisation is HIGH - 80+% on iP4 3.0GHz, HT ON

What software did you use to play the file?

Another h.264 file, downloaded from MS site with trailer for Underworld:evolution plays ok. CPU is ~ 30% (so taking in account HT - 60%)
video: 6600GE (450/1000)

I don't think MS offers H.264 material, but WMV-HD :)

With VLC, Underworld plays ok and CPu utilisation is LOWER, say ~20%
"The greatest game" plays ... with high CPU load, every 2-3 seconds of playback are followed from 5-6 sec of still image, but at least after that for another few seconds there is "moving picture" :D

VLC using libavcodec is more efficient than most software codecs.

I suggest you to try CoreAVC software H.264 decoder and a DS player. It is a lot faster than libavcodec even...

http://files.x264.nl/force.php?file=./CoreAVC20060113.7z

Install from commandline: regsvr32 CoreAVCDecoder.ax

Use Media Player Classic or some other player supporting DirectShow filters. Make sure H.264 support is disabled from ffdshow (if you have that installed).

Of course this leaves your GF hardware unused, but maybe you won't care when the video plays smoothly and with a manageable CPU usage ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
nVidia H264 decoding

Hi

I have an AGP 6600 GT and I have paid for the Cyberlink supporting H264 decoder. I also tried the trial of the Nero Purevideo supporting decoder.

Unfortunately, on both of them with hardware acceleration turned on, it looks like this:

nVidiaH264mini.png

Also WMV HD hardware acceleration has been non-functional on the AGP 6600 GT since the Forceware 80 series began. The last drivers to support it was 79.xx.

I don't really know how nVidia can claim that the AGP 6600 GT supports WMV HD and H264 decoding when neither of these appear to work. MPEG-2 HD works fine though.

um my 6600GT did wmv-hd fine.
You have a problem.

So does the new purevideo accerate quicktime H264?

Back