PS3's Controller....

No news, but to be honest, I'd expect the banana-dildo design to be the final shape, and I'd expect features to be EXACTLY like the dual shock.

Except being wireless, of course...

Guden Oden said:
No news, but to be honest, I'd expect the banana-dildo design to be the final shape, and I'd expect features to be EXACTLY like the dual shock.

Except being wireless, of course...
Substantiate your hate please.:p

I'm guessing it'll cost at least 50 bucks, hope they make a wired USB version though, I love my Xbox 360's wired on my laptop.

But I have a BT USB hub thingy for my keyboard/mouse so I can probably just use the normal PS3 wireless on my PC. That'd be a step up from my 360's.

I hope the third party controllers will be good, But I don't think many of them can do bluetooth, isn't licensing fees for that pretty high?

I think the concept controller is great, just hold a PS2 pad and position your hands as thoe it were a PS3 pad, even like that it seems that it will bereally confotable.

I guess they'll higher the quality of it, I think they did that with ps1-2 a bit.

What I really want them to fix from DS2, is the analog. It has bad precise movement, in the middle position it's quite loose, and if you move it becomse quite sluggish. It's hard to aim precise when it dingles in the middle. Though I don't want them too make it loose all over, because then I move it too much and it gives no feeling. You know wha' I'm sayin'? :smile:

´From the looks of it, I think i like the PS3 "concept" controller as it is.
It looks to be very ergonomic, a step up from DS2.
I think it even looks stylish and elegant, really I don't understand all the hate for the curved design.
I think it's just because it's curved, it was so easy to come with disses like "banana", "dildo" and "turd", and it was bound to happen.

No matter what the PS3 controller will be there will be negatives attached to it by those who don't like Playstation by default.
Had it been more like DS2, it would be critisised as heavily for being "just a DS2".
Had it switched the positions of left analog and cross pad, it would've been critisised as heavily for copying xbox and admitting the DS2 design was a failure.
Had it gone for some "revolutionary" new concept, it would have been critisised as heavily for "being a gimmick"

And all this critisism even though no-one has been able to hold one yet, just based on photographs.

I also like the design of the PS3 consept controller. Can't get why there's so much criticism.
IMO it's one of the most stylish and elegant controller designs I've seen. I'm personally very interested in design in general, so if this thing also is comfortable and plays well, I'd be mucho happy!:)

I won't be surprised if it has some features of the Revolution controller incorporated in while retaining the PS2/PS1 compatibility. Though MS vs Sony is much focused I think Sony really care about what Nintendo is doing and were waiting for Nintendo to release what they have till TGS 2005. At E3 2005 we saw EyeToy in the duck demo but they've been hiding how the controller works to this day.

I was going to say, I'm more curious about any functionality changes to the controller rather than the aesthetics. I'd love to see functionality incorporated to support and supplement Eyetoy. Might be a pipedream though.

one said:
At E3 2005 we saw EyeToy in the duck demo but they've been hiding how the controller works to this day.
If it's just a controller, with sticks and buttons, what is there to show? It wouldn't be hard to add at least motion sentivity, but I don't see any reason to expect as much.

Features anunced or yet TBA because the "only" thing anunced is the motion sentivity (speed, rotation, direction...) by nowand unless they bring us a very diferente controller if it is anything close to any DS it doesnt seem very confortable.

I do agree that Sony may be very interesting in knowing what Nintendo will do because a the very least Rev can be very sucessefull in japan so the closr they are the better for Sony, is just me or is becoming even worst than the specs wars (at least they could let hear a few good rumors). And because of that I also expect the PS3 to be as featured as it can in perifericals like the ET and meybe even a micro (that given the massive use of UE3 it could be very helpfull to make games look much better than XB ones). I still have good hopes for Rev and PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifty Geezer said:
It wouldn't be hard to add at least motion sentivity
...And have us all look like little 6-year-old boys as we play? :LOL: I don't think so.
nintenho said:
Substantiate your hate please.:p
Not sure what you mean by "hate".

Was it that I called the controller 'banana-shaped'? Or 'dildo'? I was just recycling popular names for it in the regular gaming community, I don't think that qualifies as hate. I don't feel strongly for it enough anyway to hate it, even though I do believe the design to be unfortunate. Both because it is so uninspired, being a direct re-packaging of the dual-shock 2's less than stellar button/stick arrangement with no visible improvements in either features or function, and also because it's just plain ugly. It simply doesn't match the powerful elegance of the design of the PS3 tower itself and instead looks more like a cheap 3rd party knock-off.

...Of course, making the banana-shape the final one's bound to make life easier for the cheap knock-off 3rd party manufacturers... ;)

Guden Oden said:
...And have us all look like little 6-year-old boys as we play? :LOL: I don't think so.

Not sure what you mean by "hate".

Was it that I called the controller 'banana-shaped'? Or 'dildo'? I was just recycling popular names for it in the regular gaming community, I don't think that qualifies as hate. I don't feel strongly for it enough anyway to hate it, even though I do believe the design to be unfortunate. Both because it is so uninspired, being a direct re-packaging of the dual-shock 2's less than stellar button/stick arrangement with no visible improvements in either features or function, and also because it's just plain ugly. It simply doesn't match the powerful elegance of the design of the PS3 tower itself and instead looks more like a cheap 3rd party knock-off.

...Of course, making the banana-shape the final one's bound to make life easier for the cheap knock-off 3rd party manufacturers... ;)
You're "banana-shaped dildo" description seems fairly appropriate, but it may be offensive to some people who are a bit anal retentive. :oops:

-aldo

Shifty Geezer said:
If it's just a controller, with sticks and buttons, what is there to show? It wouldn't be hard to add at least motion sentivity, but I don't see any reason to expect as much.
Of course it's just a wishful thinking, but there are tiny chips for geomagnetic direction sensors, MEMS acceleration sensors, and pressure sensors embedded in notebook PCs and cellphones today. Sony manufactures this chip. Adding them if the cost allows is not a bad idea IMHO.

This is a report from Sensor Expo Japan 2005 in April 2005.
http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/article/event/23361.html

Playing a golf game with a cellphone
sej002s.jpg

This is called "Mecca phone" and sold to Muslims, with a sensor to know the direction of Mecca.
sej004s.jpg

This is a combination of a 3-axis acceleration sensor and a 3-axis geomagnetic direction sensor. It can sense a 180 degrees loop.
sej009s.jpg

That it is very interesting, really interesting, now there is the risk that you get my hopes higher... althought I dont know if it would be very comfortable with a more classic controller shape.

Didn't know Sony were involved in MEMS, but I guess this comes as no surprise. The Sony philosophy seems to be 'do everything we can ourselves'! It makes sense regards their robot work.

All I want is anologue triggers and a D-pad that isn't split. As for the ergonomics of the controller, I saw a picture once with somebody holding it and it defenitely looks a lot bigger in pictures if that's what's worrying you.

didn't Sony get sued because the DS2 violated some patent, so they had to change it? I think that's what happened. so it won't be just a DS2 but I hope they change the dildo....maybe something more like the SNES controller but with rumble and wireless =]

Belmontvedere said:
didn't Sony get sued because the DS2 violated some patent, so they had to change it? I think that's what happened. so it won't be just a DS2 but I hope they change the dildo....maybe something more like the SNES controller but with rumble and wireless =]
I think they had to pay a bunch of money for the rights to use it, don't know what it was though.

Back