Japan's top 100 games of all time (from Famitsu poll)

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
A poll in Famitsu has this list of the top 100 games of all time.
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2401&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=0

The top ten...

1. Final Fantasy X (2001)
2. Final Fantasy VII (1997)
3. Dragon Quest III (1988)
4. Dragon Quest VIII (2004)
5. Machi (1998)
6. Final Fantasy IV (1991)
7. Tactics Ogre (1995)
8. Final Fantasy III (1990)
9. Dragon Quest VII (2000)
10. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)

Square-Enix have a runaway thing here, and goes to show how simply having FF and DQ franchises will make a console popular in Japan.

Crikey. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but still. I'm slightly surprised that VII wasn't top, I didn't think X was so well favoured!

A bit overzealous on FF/DQ love, but they're all very solid games that you could easily declare AAA, so its understandable. Whats Machi though? Only one in the top 50 I haven't heard of.

pixelbox said:
Not many DS games, but DS games sell crazy.:???:

Well, if you look at the list there're hardly games from 2005. It takes time to turn into classic.

Research has Machi as a Saturn game, a text based, multimedia adventure (?)...
Chunsoft, developers of the first five Dragon Quest games, have announced their first Saturn project. The project is Machi, a Sound Novel. Sound Novel's are text games, similar to the old Zork games on the PC, that feature beautiful backgrounds. Machi will be released this summer on 2 CD's.
http://www.sega-saturn.com/saturn/other/news-mar.htm

hey69 said:
i think even shitty games sell well on DS, or am I wrong?
Nope. Mostly just first-party 'quality' titles (if you consider BT and Nintendogs to be that) with the exception of Tamagotchi. So far. Its just those first-party titles are doing much, much, much better than anyone expected.

Third-party titles are selling nearly equally well on DS+PSP, but thats not to say the sales are all that good (generally 50-60k).

Shifty Geezer said:
Research has Machi as a Saturn game, a text based, multimedia adventure (?)...
http://www.sega-saturn.com/saturn/other/news-mar.htm
Oh cool. Surprising that a 2D text adventure game from the Saturn is in the top 5.

That list is definitely... interesting... IMO all FF after VI sucked (especially VII - Oh how I hate that game). I have NOT played the DQs so I dont know about those. Again MS should basically abandon Japan or buy Squenix. In the first case it wont matter in the second they win - probably

Square/Enix is like 35% of that list -- Hah.

Interesting stuff, but you have to take the list in the context in which it was taken... the "hardcore" readers of famitsu. I don't imagine that a general poll taken of gamers in JP would yield the same list.

I am curious as to what US and EU's (or single countries at least) lists would look like... Although the GOTY awards lots of sites poll for are usually a pretty good identifier, at least yearly.

On a side note: Anyone else far prefer the Dragon Warrior name rather than Dragon Quest? I remember when I got DW1 for NES (got from that Nintendo Power offer!)... Still one of my favorite games of all time (first jrpg I played).

blakjedi said:
That list is definitely... interesting... IMO all FF after VI sucked (especially VII - Oh how I hate that game).

Whoah!!! :oops:
No buddy.FF7 didnt suck.Its just didnt fit your taste
When did you play it and on what platform?

blakjedi said:
That list is definitely... interesting... IMO all FF after VI sucked (especially VII - Oh how I hate that game).

Man I could not agree more. FF2 & 3(VI) awesome games....FF7 it went downhill big time, like a totally different game.

scooby_dooby said:
Man I could not agree more. FF2 & 3(VI) awesome games....FF7 it went downhill big time, like a totally different game.
I like every FF (except crystal chronicles). What's wrong with 7?

Anyway, I'm not surprised FFX is number 1. It's definitely one of my favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
This list should be plastered all over MS gaming division walls as to why the Xbox's have not sold that well in Japan. RPG much Japan? :) Although this generation it seems they might be finally headed in the right direction.

IMO FFVII was actually my favorite. After VII I couldnt really get back into the series. Maybe it was because a roommate pulled out my memory card while playing FFVIII with almost 40hrs. play time on it. Talk about irked :) Since then cant seem to play a Final Fantasy game anymore lol

I'm happy to see Xenogears at 16 and Chrono Trigger at 28, the japanese know their games ;)

Though I wonder why FFVI (IMHO the best of the bunch) scored even lower than VIII, which is my only disappointment when it comes to FFs.

Again MS should basically abandon Japan or buy Squenix. In the first case it wont matter in the second they win - probably
I disagree strongly with the bolded part: In case MS "abandons" Japan, they won't get (m)any JRPGs developed for their system, which will cause a substantial part of the gaming public in europe and the US to stick with other consoles. But then again, this is already happening... it seems 4 out of 5 360 games are either FPS or racers.

Yeah Yeah, everyones got different tastes in games but god Dayum! That is one of the worst lists I've EVER seen LOL

This should be an indication to MS as to what they should bring to the table in Japan. I hope for their sake (and mine as a 360 owner) that Blue Dragon is a solid title. Clearly they need more of this type of game.

Shifty Geezer said:
A poll in Famitsu has this list of the top 100 games of all time.
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2401&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=0

The top ten...

1. Final Fantasy X (2001)
2. Final Fantasy VII (1997)
3. Dragon Quest III (1988)
4. Dragon Quest VIII (2004)
5. Machi (1998)
6. Final Fantasy IV (1991)
7. Tactics Ogre (1995)
8. Final Fantasy III (1990)
9. Dragon Quest VII (2000)
10. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)

Square-Enix have a runaway thing here, and goes to show how simply having FF and DQ franchises will make a console popular in Japan.
Best game of all times is only ONE: Alone in the Dark I

Back