Am i tired of videogames?

blakjedi said:
The great thing about books is that you still use your imagination... you can be fully engrossed in your imagination and there is no end to the amount nuance, inflection, sentiment or realism you can inject into the scene. A long time ago when videogames looked like the crack of of some fat guys ass, you knew it wasnt realistic so your mind took the symbolism and created an enjoyable environement in its place (think Donkey Kong or altered beast).

Now that games have the imagery available to present you with a realistic looking world, which still isn't quite right, your mind spends more time nitpicking what should look right with the picture in front of you than enjoying manipulating the scenery/scenario in front of you. Better graphics have taken away our imagination and probably 90% of the enjoyment factor of the 8 bit/16 bit era games.

Too true, shame i can't rep you at the moment.

london-boy said:
Time for a thoughtful thread without a trace of console/games/developers wars or financial analysis.

The story is simple: I think i've grown out of games.

I've been buying a few games over the last few months, mainly because they got rave reviews and i wanted to try them out.
2 days ago i started off RE4, and from the start i just felt like i could not possibly embark into such a task. Even thinking about all the things i would have to do in the game put me off straight away. It's like i had a small panic attack and turned the thing off as soon as i got to the small house thing right at the beginning of the game. I think the old-school interface didn't help much, the "find thing and read the caption" kind of thing i was so used to do years ago.

Am i getting old? Have "other things" in life changed the way about how i feel about pushing buttons in from of a flashy mess of pixels? I mean, in retrospective, i have spent a ridiculous amount of my time for something that, at the end of the day, is actually quite pointless! I'm getting old, definately.

The only games i'm enjoying at the moment are the ones i can pick up, play for 30 mins or so and put down, games like Katamari Damaci and Burnout (whichever it is). Anything more and i either have to change game or just stop playing altogether.

I was really looking forward to play Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy 12 but if i REALLY think about it, i'm quite sure i won't have the time or even the will to go through two massive games like them. And i hate it. I hate the fact that i don't enjoy games as much as i used to, if at all, but there is nothing i can do about it. It's nothing technical, updated graphics will probably bump my interest a little, but the novelty will wear off fast, like new PC games with great graphics (like HL2, Farcry, FEAR and others) were totally boring for me, even though they were the prettiest games i could put my hands on before the 360 came out.

Am i the only one here who feels like that?

You have inadvertantly become an adult and become part of the on-the-go world...

Time to tune your hobby to your lifestyle....go portable.

Also, pick up some non-games. They should pique your interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
ROG27 said:
You have inadvertantly become an adult and become part of the on-the-go world...

Time to tune your hobby to your lifestyle....go portable.

Nah, my "portables" are books. And the new Sony eBook thing that's coming out will be REALLY REALLY cool and i'll definately buy it.

I have the opposite problem you guys seem to have: I don't have enough time to play all the awesome games out there. I still really love games and try to play about 15-20 hours per week, but wish I had time to play even more.

I'm more or less in the same position... just sort of realized it after reading some of these posts. I still love games (I buy more now than ever - hah), but I can't get myself to finish them or play them much more than ~5 hours before giving up (even if its a game I really like).

Same thing happened to me around the end of the PS1 generation though, now that I think about it.

About the only game I've consistantly been playing and put many hours into is DJ Max Portable for PSP... And it's likely because its hardly even a game (rhythm game).

london-boy said:
Nah, my "portables" are books. And the new Sony eBook thing that's coming out will be REALLY REALLY cool and i'll definately buy it.

Again...I say pick up a portable if only for the non-games and media. I never thought I'd get alot of use out of the UMD video on PSP...but watching episodes of shows like the Family guy (which without commercials is only like 18 minutes long an episode) on the go and when you don't have much time can brighten your day. I have the first two seasons on the 5 UMD set and it only set me back $30.00.

I agree with you that the Ebook thing looks amazing. Digital Ink, or whatever it is, is pure awesomeness.

london-boy said:
I'm humbled. :D

I was kinda joking of course, getting older doesn't REALLY worry me. It just bugs me that videogames don't make me happy anymore. Maybe i'm just happy for other things and videogames in comparison are just useless... I get much more enjoyment from books, but i'm a 30-40 books a year kind of guy so that kinda explains it....

Talking about books and comparing them with games pretty much tells me everything. I'm not sure what kind of books you tend to read but I'm going through a spurt that involves mostly science stuff like neuroscience, evolution and biology with a sci fi book thrown in every once and a while.

The truth is, games just arn't adult. I just got done playing MGS: Twin Snakes and i found myself yelling at Kojima to shut up and just end this horrible game. I don't see how his games are adult except for the blood because the script and dialogue is for 5 year olds. It's some of most cheesy crap i have ever seen plus he doesn't even get the science right. Thanks Kojima, we've known for a long time that biology and culture both play huge parts in our lives, not just genetics, thanks for telling me like 50 time in the last 2 minutes.

I don't think us older people will truelly enjoy games like we use too until they give us Kubrick in game form or something like Lost in Translation in game form. Something truelly adult. Games have to reach the artistic status of films before that happens. Adult now, means some blood, guns and a hot girl.

Maybe i'm wrong, but the gamer seems to be maturing but the games are still very childish.

Last edited by a moderator:
winstonsmith1978 said:
Talking about books and comparing them with games pretty much tells me everything. I'm not sure what kind of books you tend to read but I'm going through a spurt that involves mostly science stuff like neuroscience, evolution and biology with a sci fi book thrown in every once and a while.

:oops: Woah.. me too!! Been reading Robert J Sawyer, there's a thread on the General Forum about it too!
The truth is, games just arn't adult. I just got done playing MGS: Twin Snakes and i found myself yelling at Kojima to shut up and just end this horrible game. I don't see how his games are adult except for the blood because the script and dialogue is for 5 year olds. It's some of most cheesy crap i have ever seen plus he doesn't even get the science right. Thanks Kojima, we've known for a long time that biology and culture both play huge parts in are lives, not just genetics, thanks for telling me like 50 time in the last 2 minutes.

I agree, sometimes i can't help but feel very young (and in a bad sense too!) when playing games. Hate it.

I don't think us older people will truelly enjoy games like we use too until they give us Kubrick in game form or something like Lost in Translation in game form. Something truelly adult. Games have to reach the artistic status of films before that happens. Adult now, means some blood, guns and a hot girl.

HEY HEY HEY!!! EASY!! :LOL:
Seriously now, the word i have for games, most of them anyway, but there are always exceptions, is CHEAP. All about them is targeted to teenagers who, at the end of the day, have NO taste for art or music or anything that can be called "artistic". That's what gradually made me detach from games i think.

Maybe i'm wrong, but the gamer seems to be maturing but the games are still very childish.

Agreed 100%. I could say the same about movies too, though.

ROG27 said:
I agree with you that the Ebook thing looks amazing. Digital Ink, or whatever it is, is pure awesomeness.

Totally. Although i like having books in my house, i can't help but feel that eventually i'll have a flat full of books. Electronic books like the Sony (and i'm sure there will be much better versions in the months following its release) will save me a LOT of shelf space.

london-boy said:
Totally. Although i like having books in my house, i can't help but feel that eventually i'll have a flat full of books. Electronic books like the Sony (and i'm sure there will be much better versions in the months following its release) will save me a LOT of shelf space.

A flat full of books can add alot of character to your living space. It also kind of presents the knowledge you've gained from the books (hopefully) to your visitors. I think many women would be impressed with such a display.

I know the feeling too.
Last time I got bored of gaming was at the dawn of PS2, when the PS games could not hold my interest any more and I though tI'd lost my will of gaming, not even my then new PC and N64 could bring back the joy of gaming.
I basically quitted gaming altogether for a few months, then the PS2 news started to pour and I was getting excited again, the PS2 and FFIX (a PSOne game) brought me back to gaming and it has lasted 'til today.
I expect after I've finished Dragon Quest (whenever it releases in EU), and I think I'll play it more because "of duty" than because I really want to :) There'll maybe be some months I won't be gaming until the PS3 arrives, which I hope will again rejuvenate my gaming passion.
I'm also a bit afraid of the FFXII, knowing that I'd love to play it night and day, but also knowing I have other duties too and will only be able to play a couple of hours a week.

The short pick up and play games are my favorites now too, like Katamary Damacy and Shadow of the Colossus, I don't feel I'm getting tired of the labourious task ahead of me when I play them. Also the PSP with games like GTA:LCS and Tales of Eternia are well suited for my gaming habits now.

I actually resorted to cheating for the first time in my console gaming life when I played the RE4, I played it without cheats about two thirds, butafter that I just gave up and bought an Action Replay and finished it with that.
It's a mixed feeling when you like the game and want to finish it, but the frustration of the task ahead is just kinda depressing.

Maybe you just need a little time off of games, I'm positive you'll come back again after a while, it's the nature and it's ways :)

winstonsmith1978 said:
*snip* The truth is, games just arn't adult. Maybe i'm wrong, but the gamer seems to be maturing but the games are still very childish.

You are so on with this post. Thats why the game I look forward most this generation is the Too Human Trilogy (http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=706907&postcount=17). Also because of its fantatsic storyline, backdrop and character development, many people consider the original Deus Ex as the best storyline in a game ever.

The mistake some game companies make is that in an effort to be adult, complex, and deep (Heinlein, Clarke, Clancy (in his best days), Jordan, Simmons) they end up being complicated, convoluted, and disengaging... eventually gaming will catch up and I think that with what is at stake for the three giants of gaming (Sony, MS and Nintendo) by the end of this generation we won't be disappointed.

Thanks digi and l-b for your sentiments!

Pfff - I dunno what to say about this. It's something that a lot of people experience. Depends what you're asking for from a game!

I hope I don't sound patronising (but I know I will) but "art" for me is making a connection with another person. Shared experiences and all that. Games rarely engage you on a substantial scale emotionally. Ico was the closest I've got to that.

As was said in response to digitalwanderer's similar thread (in the pc forums) a while ago: read a book, listen to some music or whatever floats your boat.

Or buy a 360/PS3/Rev and be dazzled by the graphics for a short while!

I play less too. It's the lack of time and interest, although when I find a game that does it for me, then I'll finish it swiftly. Sometimes I don't touch my consoles for weeks, even month and when I do pick up gaming ... it's fun again. I guess, that's why I don't really suffer from any kind of burnout syndrome after 20+ years of gaming.

Back