A new exclusive 360 game to be revealed soon? (Table Tennis)

Update: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/698/698663p1.html

I know, I know, it's still table tennis, but Rockstar has made this work. In its own way, it's just as immediate as any fast-paced first-person shooter.

<snip>

Graphically, the game looks just like the screenshots. It's rich, detailed, and all about the players. The faces are detailed down to the smallest pore, and the characters' skin textures, their physical motion, and their animations are excellent. At the time we played the arenas were empty, so we still have yet to get the full experience of the crowd. But the game didn't drop a frame and it felt quick, reactive, and fully playable.

I'm really interested in this game now that I have good reason to expect that it plays well.

Too bad this game will get overlooked.

Inane_Dork said:
I'm really interested in this game now that I have good reason to expect that it plays well.

Too bad this game will get overlooked.

I'm not so sure. It's cheap, the shots look great (check the new ones guys! - shadows etc.) and if the animation is up there too, it could be a biggy...

I think it'll turn out to be more fun than Top Spin 2.

From what ive heard so far, $40 seems a bit high for this title doesnt it? I'm sure it will have a neat XBL component but at the end of the day the game amounts to 2 people playing table tennis, not sure if theres enough content to warrant $40, i think $30 would be fair.

expletive said:
From what ive heard so far, $40 seems a bit high for this title doesnt it? I'm sure it will have a neat XBL component but at the end of the day the game amounts to 2 people playing table tennis, not sure if theres enough content to warrant $40, i think $30 would be fair.

It sounds like it could be a great party game.

pipo said:
I'm not so sure. It's cheap, the shots look great (check the new ones guys! - shadows etc.) and if the animation is up there too, it could be a biggy...
The IGN preview indicates that the animation is good as well. It really sounds like they've nailed the game, but I just don't think people will give it the time of day unless they really try it. And they won't do that until someone forces them to. It's a critical mass problem. Without the initial push, the game will never get off the ground. And I don't think it will be received well enough to get that initial push.

Read the post right below yours for what I'm talking about. The game is "just" about playing one on one? Well, crap. Someone tell the world that chess will never be popular.

I think it'll turn out to be more fun than Top Spin 2.
Quite possibly.

Inane_Dork said:
Someone tell the world that chess will never be popular.

You might want to rephrase that. ;)

Today more than 285 million people play chess with other chess players from all over the world, via the internet. It is estimated 605 million people worldwide know how to play chess. Of these 7.5 million are registered players, covering 160 countries worldwide. Making chess one of the most popular sports around the world.

Back on topic: I think the looks could be a selling point. It looks great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now it's just a matter of waiting ...surely they won't be able to resist trying to get this to work with the PS3 controller ;) (mentioning that one rather than the Wii because they won't have to change the graphics and probably already have a 3d engine up and running)

From that Eurogamer review
When you go to play a shot you can hold down the button to charge it up as you direct it with left-analogue, and as you do this the pad starts to vibrate. If the vibrations are mild, you'll land it on the table no matter how far you're pushing; if the vibrations are strong, you're heading off-table and need to compensate. When the hard vibes kick in just as you're about to launch a shot, it's a delightful panic.
Good use of rumble that'd not have a reasonable replacement on DS3.

Arwin said:
Now it's just a matter of waiting ...surely they won't be able to resist trying to get this to work with the PS3 controller ;) (mentioning that one rather than the Wii because they won't have to change the graphics and probably already have a 3d engine up and running)

How would it work with a PS3 controller?

mckmas8808 said:
How would it work with a PS3 controller?

I would grab it in the middle and imitate hitting with it. It just needs to register my movement. The only difficulty I see is combining the movement of the player and the movement of the bat. You could do it by controlling the movement using your thumb on one of the analog sticks (make which one configurable or allow using both for left and right handed support), you could try to find an intelligent routine that figures the difference between hitting and moving, you could make moving automatic (like in the Wii tennis game) or you could even try to support two controllers, one for movement and one for hitting. I'd probably try the movement on analog stick option first though.

@Geezer: but the vibration is being used in an abstract way, you'd not feel movement here naturally. And therefore, very likely to be replaceable by motion sensor input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arwin said:
I would grab it in the middle and imitate hitting with it. It just needs to register my movement. The only difficulty I see is combining the movement of the player and the movement of the bat. You could do it by controlling the movement using your thumb on one of the analog sticks (make which one configurable or allow using both for left and right handed support), you could try to find an intelligent routine that figures the difference between hitting and moving, you could make moving automatic (like in the Wii tennis game) or you could even try to support two controllers, one for movement and one for hitting. I'd probably try the movement on analog stick option first though.

@Geezer: but the vibration is being used in an abstract way, you'd not feel movement here naturally. And therefore, very likely to be replaceable by motion sensor input.

Well there's the other 'small' problem of having any control over your ball whatsoever. Or do you think the arc of your swing will determine the spin/slice/top spin of the ball? Good luck with that....

Back