Your top 5 favorite movies at the moment.

nintenho

Veteran
What are your top five favorite movies right now? Please explain why also.

1.Pulp Fiction: Incredibly funny writing an acting moved along a perfect plot. Just proves how worthless film school really is.:p
2.Hiest: The dialogue and the acting are pretty much guaranteed to blow you away. Plot stays on the safe side but you'll never predict any of the twists.
3.Godfather 1&2: Tortured humanism at it's best.
4.Team America: Boring as hell, but it's brilliant I guess...
5.The Iron Giant: Too much to love.

1. Star Wars 1-6

2. Lord Of The Rings 1-3

3. Blade Runner

...yeah, I'm a typical, boring nerd :D

These are the films I am most likely to watch again and again, and have watched them more than twice.
So they must be my top 3 favorite movies at the moment, and all times.

Of newer films... I haven't seen many memorable films recently. Knig Kong maybe and Brokeback Mountain, but I haven't yet seen either of them so I can't be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
In no paticular order

Spy Game -- Strong character development with two actors that both have a superb screen presence, Robert Redford and Brad Pitt.

Crimson Tide -- Strong characters that have a difference of opinions with each other and you can see logic how both draw different conclusions. Both Gene Hackmans and Denzell Washingtons characters are correct in their own way.

Collateral -- Tom Cruise was very belivable as a hitman and had solid dialogue.

Blade Runner -- The cast is terrific and the story is very deep. What is it that makes us human? Blade Runner is one of my all time favorite movies.

Master and Commander -- This movie is brilliant on so many levels.

Let's see, these are the last 5 movies I watched, I guess that'll do:

Batman Begins
Zoolander
True Lies
Commando
A Beautiful Mind

Serenity
Sin City
The Matrix
5th Element
Austin Powers (take your pick)

....not necessarily in that order, but these are some of my all-time favorites :)

Chalnoth said:
Serenity
Sin City
The Matrix
5th Element
Austin Powers (take your pick)

....not necessarily in that order, but these are some of my all-time favorites :)
Oh crap, how did I forget serenity?

I've got too many (favorite) movies in my DVD collection of near 200 titles to be able to truly condense all my options and choices down to just five picks, but if I was to try it might be something like this - in no particular order:

Shawshank Redemption
Aliens
Robocop
Billy Elliot
Stand By Me

A few others I might as well have picked:
A Few Good Men
Fargo
Gattaca
The Game
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Firm
The Terminator
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Wars Episode IV or V
Silence of the Lambs
Shrek
Road to Perdition
Back to the Future
Die Hard
Raiders of the Lost Ark

...And:
Beavis and Butt-Head do America ;)

What about fave non-english language films ? In no particular order...

Tampopo - Noodles,Spring Onions, sex, yum yum
Goodbye Lenin - it's not a comedy, but makes you smile inside
Solaris - the remake wasn't too shabby either
Old Boy - squiiiiiiiiiiid!
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - oh so lush.
Amelie - Did you guess the photo booth ?

and for some recent english language films

Buffalo Soldiers - boom, boom, shake the room
Memento - now write it down so you don't forget
Sin City - Clive Owen forced to do an american accent
Croupier - Clive Owen NOT forced to do an american accent
Team America - F*ck Yeh!
Serenity - buy it NOW on DVD!

geo said:
Sooo not surprised! :LOL: You've got it in your "documentaries" section too, don't you? :cool:
Hehe, yup. It's an enlightening insight into two normal, everyday highschool teens in the US after all. ;)

I could choose that one, or maybe South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, because two animated movies with about the same subject matter would have been a bit too much. I also could have picked The Incredibles to stick in the list, but I already had Shrek, so... Anyway, the B&B-H movie isn't really that much of a favorite. I just put that in there for kicks. :D

Gladiator... Hm. Several have mentioned it already, I personally think it's rather overrated. Apart from the music that is, it has an incredible score. And the photography is rather good too, but the color processing is a bit strong methinks, not particulary subtle. It's very blue initially, and then other parts are rather too much towards sepia, etc.

This list is by no means my Top 5 All-time, as I would find it too hard to comprehend my favorites. Let's go with the last 5 good movies I saw.

American Psycho - Christian Bale is the man, and the monologues in this movie are "killer", no pun intended.
The Usual Suspects - Lovely little movie, good ensemble cast.
Sin City - Extended - Saw the original in the theater, extended version is even better. This movie deserves some sort of Oscar.
Match Point - A little boring, and strange... but intelligent.
Harry Potter 4 - Tied with the 3rd film for the best in the series so far. Enjoyable romp.

pocketmoon66 said:
Buffalo Soldiers - boom, boom, shake the room

I really like that one. The depiction of 1980s Germany, as well as the non-comedic elements of US army life there, are utterly realistic, down to the colour of the number plates.

random top 5 of top movies for me:
--Goonies
--Rudy
--Hoosier
--The Incredibles

Arg, im trying to think of the crazy detective story with jeff daniels. anyone remember the title? Its kinda monk'ish style.

epic

epicstruggle said:
--Goonies

REALLY? Almost noone even knows about this movie! While I don't really like the movie, I loved the music in it (W.A.S.P. rules!!!)

My favs:

Blade Runner
Aliens
Spawn
Naked Lunch :!:
Saló or 120 days in Sodom - a true work of art

Other good movies:
Spiderman (but rather because I'm the biggest fan of the comic ever)
Sin City
The Matrix
Funny Games - not for people with cardial problems

Back