CPU upgrade advice -- Single v.s. Dual core?

Has anybody seen specs or perf on the forthcoming Turion X2s? I'm really not terribly interested in absolute speed (don't really game much), but I can't stand waiting for a CAD redraw or image resample with nothing to do in the meantime.

Sxotty said:
Your statement while intriuging is still a bad idea.

Have you looked at the prices you pay for a decent (intel) mobile processor?

And if you go down that road, have you seen the awesome overclocks on the Opterons? They would wipe the floor with the PM in games.
Yes well price is the downside, however they have come down quite a bit lately and used ones can be found for relatively cheap, they can also overclock quite well. Btw, keep in mind that with one of these you could have a near silent and cooler running PC with performance (at least in gaming) comparible to an Athlon 64. I wouldn't recommend it over the A64 if you do other intentive tasks though.

From the benches I've looked at, the Pentium M is roughly on par with an Athlon 64 of the same frequency for most benchmarks, but the A64 still pulls ahead in games.

The Pentium M is definitely holding its own against the Athlon and you have to respect that.

But the Pentium M is limited, i.e. no x86-64 or AMD64 emulation.

That is pretty incredible. I'm seriously hoping that ATI can step up to the Conroe soon :)

Edit: Oops! Meant ATI.

Back