PS2 game with the best graphics

God of War
Champions of Norrath
Kingdom Hearts 2
Gran Turismo 4
Silent Hill 3
PeterT said:
I totally forgot about that series, even though I completed them both (in multiplayer mode even). They're certainly very impressive, though they have the fixed camera angle advantage.
Not sure if I recall correctly, but I think single player allowed you to zoom in and move the camera(memory's fuzzy though, I might be wrong.)

mine would have to be, Ghost Hunter: Smooth aa'd edges, Prog Scan, beutiful lighting, imensely detailed charactor model's :)

Last edited by a moderator:
bleon said:
Technically, I'd say Champions of Norrath:Return to Arms is the best looking game on PS2. Its got full scene AA and a rock solid framerate , plus i love the particles effects.

Artistically: SotC is my pick for best graphics on PS2.

Second Champions of Norrath. Thanks to the 2xAA and highly detailed models, it holds up better than most games on an HDTV, despite the lack of progressive output.

As far as playing directly to the strengths of the hardware...

anubis800600no180em.jpg

*bow*

weaksauce said:
I can say the getaway blac monday

http://www.gamerevolution.com/oldsite/games/ps2/action/getaway_black_monday5.jpg
http://www.gamerevolution.com/oldsite/games/ps2/action/getaway_black_monday4.jpg
http://www.gamerevolution.com/oldsite/games/ps2/action/getaway_black_monday3.jpg

I think it's awsome how they have dynamic shadows (pretty much like in sh3) inside, ragdoll on every person in the street and everywhere. The character models look good too and the cars are like sony showed first for the old getaway. There's lots of physics everywhere too. And some places have some cool effects.
Personally I was dissapointed a bit by this game's graphics.Framerate often got choppy and sometimes buggy too.

edit:Oops forgot to say my fav looking games

Silent Hill3
ZOE2
God of War
Soul Calibur 3(F*cking brilliantly designed stages!Especially the boss's stage.Meteors falling on earth!!I am also 90% sure there's normal mapping on the wall in Raphael's stage)
Burnout Revenge
Jak series
Tekken Tag Tournament
Gran Turismo4

If I had to choose just one game, it would be very difficult.
Some I consider very good, for various reasons. Most (all?) of them have been mentioned already, but here goes anyway...

GT4 - Most realistic looking. Might not push the most polys and effects, but still manages to look the most "real" of PS2 games.

Zone of the Enders: Second Runner - Most colourful, busy graphics. True "eye candy" game. Impressive particle effects. A firework of a graphical splendour.

Shadow Of The Colossus - Beautiful art, image quality ugly at places but the furry collossi are a wonder to see.

Silent Hill 3 - One of the best character models, good athmosphere.

Ghost Hunter - Very good image quality and impressive effects and models, art is a bit crap though.

ICO - See SotC

Jak 2 & 3 - Great animation, impressive draw distance

Ratchet & Clank 2 & 3 - Great animation, nice art, smooth

Just finished GOW:

gow4gz.jpg

wow! this bit looks awesome.

I forgot Gran Turismo 4 before, and also Tourist Trophy seeing as its running on the same engine.

gt49ta.jpg

That GOW shot is definitely in game.

As if no one's played this game before but...
<SPOILERS AHEAD!!>

It's just a scene when Kratos is invited to Mount Olympus as the new god of war. You just control him walking up the stairs and into the thrown room. Definitely a sight to see.

<end spoilers>

The reason I didn't pick GOW as my favourite graphically was that I didn't like the character models. But I did like the environments. The reflection off the marble floors were amazing... Maybe I'll take back my choices... :)

Oh oh oh, I forgot Resident Evil 4, it could be even the best looking PS2 game, and being a Game Cube port that's saying something :)

I'm yet to play the God Of War game, only played the demo and I wasn't that impressed.
Sure, a clean looking and technically solid title, but something in it (remember, just the demo) left me a bit dull impression.

Edit: And MGS3:Snake Eater too of course, in case I forgot to mention that also.

the demo of GOW was nothing compared to the complete and final game. imho ofcourse.

my votes?

gow
black
burnout
tekken 5
mgs3
gran turismo
RE:4
sotc
fantivison :LOL: j/k

honorable mention, gta:sa, graphically its weak, but technically its pretty impressive considering the size of the game.

pixelbox said:
I can't believe MGS3 didn't win hands down. That water! The lighting!
Personally, I'd choose this game too but I suspect it's not on everyone's list maybe because they don't own it (it's stealthy gameplay may be too slow for a lot of folks).

Almost all the outdoor scenes in MGS3 are impressive. Having great framerates with that many detail is impressive (I love the "Sokrovenno" level).

Reverend said:
Personally, I'd choose this game too but I suspect it's not on everyone's list maybe because they don't own it (it's stealthy gameplay may be too slow for a lot of folks).

Almost all the outdoor scenes in MGS3 are impressive. Having great framerates with that many detail is impressive (I love the "Sokrovenno" level).
Mine is that pier before the warehouse. Great looking water, also the fire in the games is good too.

Reverend said:

I was impressed by MGS3 as well.I should have mentioned it.
To be honest though unfortunately, the game running at 30fps kind of ruined it for me, since I was having expectations for 60fps.The cutscenes also suffered from casual framerate variations.
Superb looking though.

Back