PS2 game with the best graphics

Reverend

Banned
What's your choice?

The "one and only in your opinion" should do but I suppose a shortlist of 5 would also be fine. It would also be good to read comments on why you picked it/them in terms of what aspects of its/their graphics you deem as "best or among the best for the PS2".

Note : Games for the PS2 that have incredible graphics but has unsatisfactory framerates most of the times should be discounted, however few such may be.

Thanks. I'm doing a small survey for a developer.

Do you mean best graphics artistically or technically.

Technically:Black and Gran Turismo 4 since they apparantly max out the total potential power on the system.

Artistically:Zone of the Enders, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, and the Devil May Cry series.

If you had asked a month or so ago, my choices would have been different, but now that I play on a 1920*1200 screen I'd say
- God of War (It looks way better than most PS2 games in progressive/widescreen)
- Gran Turismo 4 (as above)
from a technical POV.

Artistically, Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana :p

Note : Games for the PS2 that have incredible graphics but has unsatisfactory framerates most of the times should be discounted, however few such may be.
Hey, just come straight out if you don't want us to mention SoTC... :D

nintenho said:

Technically:Black and Gran Turismo 4 since they apparantly max out the total potential power on the system.

Artistically:Zone of the Enders, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, and the Devil May Cry series.
I don't know about GT4 maxing out ps2 but i believe tech wise Silent hill3, MGS3, and SOTC really did it for me. SH3 for the shadows and detail, MGS3 for overall abundance of effects while still keep A.I. great, and SOTC for high poly models, great particles and shader effects, and motion blur. Also i want to mention that transformers game. Huge levels that teems with vegetation and a huge amount of models on screen with great A.I.. But overall, MGS3 with that pixel shaded water, lights and what seems to be bumb maps.

Runners Up:Jak1,2,3, area 51, burnout4, path to neo(all those effects...at once...come on),ico,zoe2.

nintenho said:
I meant "best graphics", period. I thought the term should be definitively defined, and known, at this site to all, console forum or not.

Reverend said:
I meant "best graphics", period. I thought the term should be definitively defined, and known, at this site to all, console forum or not.
Hmm, so what is this definitive definition? (sorry)

pixelbox said:
I don't know about GT4 maxing out ps2 but i believe tech wise Silent hill3, MGS3, and SOTC really did it for me. SH3 for the shadows and detail, MGS3 for overall abundance of effects while still keep A.I. great, and SOTC for high poly models, great particles and shader effects, and motion blur. Also i want to mention that transformers game. Huge levels that teems with vegetation and a huge amount of models on screen with great A.I.. But overall, MGS3 with that pixel shaded water, lights and what seems to be bumb maps.

Runners Up:Jak1,2,3, area 51, burnout4, path to neo(all those effects...at once...come on),ico,zoe2.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Transformers. But, Path of Neo wasn't that impressive in my opinion. I know it had normal mapping, but you couldn't tell and the texture definition was pretty bad even by ps2 standards. Also, I don't know how it wasn't mentioned yet but Onimusha had really impressive environments and particle effects.

Oh, and Reverend, the most overall impressive ps2 game in my opinion is probably gta:sa because of the art and scale. When you played that game, you really felt like you were in a functional world.:p

nintenho said:
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Transformers. But, Path of Neo wasn't that impressive in my opinion. I know it had normal mapping, but you couldn't tell and the texture definition was pretty bad even by ps2 standards. Also, I don't know how it wasn't mentioned yet but Onimusha had really impressive environments and particle effects.

Oh, and Reverend, the most overall impressive ps2 game in my opinion is probably gta:sa because of the art and scale. When you played that game, you really felt like you were in a functional world.:p
I can not agree with GTASA having the best graphics! Sure the game was huge but at what expense? Piss poor draw distance? Low poly everything? Low res textures? Anyway, in path of neo you can turn up the "lighting detail" to 10. That game used alot of effects at a time, but did suffer from bad coding in some spots.

pixelbox said:
I can not agree with GTASA having the best graphics! Sure the game was huge but at what expense? Piss poor draw distance? Low poly everything? Low res textures? Anyway, in path of neo you can turn up the "lighting detail" to 10. That game used alot of effects at a time, but did suffer from bad coding in some spots.
Yeah, on ps2, gta:sa was pretty laggy and torture on the eyes. But I played it on pc so......

And what the hell is "lighting detail"? Does it just turn up the brightness or does it actually do something that affects the normal maps?

Technically, I'd say Champions of Norrath:Return to Arms is the best looking game on PS2. Its got full scene AA and a rock solid framerate , plus i love the particles effects.

Artistically: SotC is my pick for best graphics on PS2.

I would have to go with Metal Gear Solid 3. Not really savvy on the Technical Aspects but it really did blow me away. Especially the trakemark cutscenes.

bleon said:
Technically, I'd say Champions of Norrath:Return to Arms is the best looking game on PS2.
I totally forgot about that series, even though I completed them both (in multiplayer mode even). They're certainly very impressive, though they have the fixed camera angle advantage.

Back