FTP client that's solid, simple, easy to use and FREE?

Guden Oden

Legend
I don't need anything fancy as long as it's not a pain in the buttocks and costs money, I'm just going to move a couple files back and forth every once in a while.

Tanx a lot in advance! :)

EDIT: Oops, you said client

Filezilla is free and works very good with sftp sites, which I haven't been able to get, at least older versions, of SmartFTP to do.
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

Without a doubt Quick and Easy FTP server by Pablo. There's a pro and free version. I've run it for a few years...

For a simple web server for easy file sharing I also recomend HFS (1 exe, 1 ini file for settings). NO registry settings and VERY easy to use.

HFS 2.0 beta (Open source and VERY stable)
http://www.rejetto.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1480

Quick ‘n Easy FTP Server Lite Version 3.0.1
http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/html/quick__n_easy_ftp_server_lite.html

Last edited by a moderator:
SmartFTP is not bad. I haven't used it for quite some time so I don't know how it compares these days, but I always found it to work well. FWIW, SmartFTP automatically detects/intercepts FTP URLs while it's running (in the background) to make life easy, but I figure they all do this by now.

Leechftp is quite old. Has troubles with newer ftp servers unfortunately. It was a sad thing that it died.. it was my favourite client (gotta love that threadcontrol) and I was looking forward to bitbeamer - which unfortunately sucked in comparision and vanished quickly.:cry:

But if your ftp servers works with leechftp it's one kickass client, just keep adding threads until you've maximized your bandwidth.:D

I'm with wireframe and vouch for SmartFTP. It has always worked when I need it to (might need tweaking, but solid for the most part).

I used to use smartftp simply because it was the first client I found that was free, but it always had weird bugs like menus not working, refusing to actually DO anything when trying to up/download etc, and now it's become nagware too and expires after a while. I can't stand shit like that, if the program doesn't make me want to pay for it simply by using it normally, it sure isn't going to be able to annoy me into paying by popping up nagscreens.

I'll check out the other tips you guys gave, thanks a lot. :)

I use SmartFTP. Would prefer to use FileZilla, but I have a habit of saving most of the stuff I want to quickly FTP up on my desktop, and FileZilla (at least last time I tried it) treats the drive as absolute root, so it's a pain to get to the desktop folder.

Fodder said:
I use SmartFTP. Would prefer to use FileZilla, but I have a habit of saving most of the stuff I want to quickly FTP up on my desktop, and FileZilla (at least last time I tried it) treats the drive as absolute root, so it's a pain to get to the desktop folder.
Well, there's a number of things you can do. When you create the settings for an FTP site you can specifiy the default local and remote folders, so just set local to desktop folder. Or you can place a shortcut to desktop folder in, say, root of C and then it's only a click away.

I'd thought of the shortcut, but unfortunately FZ opens them in a new explorer window. The default folder idea is great one though, and as such I've now ditched SmartFTP. Thanks! :D

Back