Could there be any PS3 games with no AA?

I guess it could depend on the game type.In a racing game I would be more concerned with 60FPS and probably wouldn't notice a lack of AA at speeds. In a FPS game which would be slower and more methodical, I could stand 30PFS and would notice jaggies as I'm slowly examining things and making my way through the game world.

I think the reason I noticed was because I was expectin a lot out of PGR3. Probably adding to the disappointment was the fact that the effects and motion blurring still didn't quite get rid of the loss of sense of speed when one limits the FPS to 30FPS. Compared with GT4, the sense of speed just wasnt there (seriously you have to look at the speed meter to tell you're going fast :rolleyes: whereas in any 60fps racer you definitely don't) and then it looked just as bad as GT4 did in terms of aliasing and shimmering. Right next to it was Toca 3 which had almost no shimmering (but most likely being run on a CRT had a lot to do with this) and was running (from what I could tell) a solid 60fps with tons more cars...on a PS2.

ah........ toca........ loved part 2 on ps. the old one.

but when you say such good things about aps2 game i ll have too look at it

I've found that 60 fps vs 30fps does nothing to change the sense of speed I get when playing a game. If anything, I'd say smoother feels slower (nicer sense of motion too, btw). Things like FOV and blurring (like on Moto GP 2 on the Xbox) do change the sense of speed though.

Dr Evil said:
I'd say it's good, but not flawless, on my 61" I can see Jaggies if I look for them and sometimes I see them even if I don't look for them. Condemned however is pretty close to flawless.

lol, I would say the exact opposite. On my 46" Kameo looks flawless, but condemned has a few jaggies.

Where exactly do you see jaggies in Kameo?

60fps

rounin said:
I think the reason I noticed was because I was expectin a lot out of PGR3. Probably adding to the disappointment was the fact that the effects and motion blurring still didn't quite get rid of the loss of sense of speed when one limits the FPS to 30FPS. Compared with GT4, the sense of speed just wasnt there (seriously you have to look at the speed meter to tell you're going fast :rolleyes: whereas in any 60fps racer you definitely don't) and then it looked just as bad as GT4 did in terms of aliasing and shimmering. Right next to it was Toca 3 which had almost no shimmering (but most likely being run on a CRT had a lot to do with this) and was running (from what I could tell) a solid 60fps with tons more cars...on a PS2.

Developer says TOCA3 is 60fps also on old Xbox. Very impressive because not so many "big" Xbox racing game have 60fps no? I feel codemaster is great developer. Also TOCA3 is very amazing game design because of many different race type.

Also I think PGR3 developer likes 30fps because customer is like arcade fan not so much simulator fan so frame-rate is not so important. 30fps has 2x power for render so I think they make this choice for maximum effects.

Has the level of AA in GRAW been mentionned somewhere ?? Seems to be 4x msaa from screenshots. Good to see the most impressive game so far will be jaggie free...

From what i can see 4xAA won't be a problem for engines builded from the ground for xbox. GRAW single player is confirmed 4XAA and Fullauto also has 4xAA.
But i cant say the same for ported engines like Burnout and FarCry.

supervegeta said:
As far i know is more easy to implement AA + HDR on the xbox360 then on the ps3.

The next Motogp is 60fps + 4xaa + hdr.

I beg to differ, the PS3 method is the same as PC have been doing AA for years, were as 360 use's tileing. I would imagine there's more work to implement it on 360.

mkillio said:
I'd really like to have some graphics options in games. I want to be able to turn on/off AA, what type of filtering to use etc.
I remember Super Smash Brothers Melee having that option. I once saw this one hour long video of a East Coast versus West Coast tournament and it looked like they turned the anti-aliasing off.....of course I may have been imagining thiins since the video was low resolution anyways.:p

groper said:
From what i can see 4xAA won't be a problem for engines builded from the ground for xbox. GRAW single player is confirmed 4XAA and Fullauto also has 4xAA.
But i cant say the same for ported engines like Burnout and FarCry.

Right now there are only 2 games on the 360 that use 2xAA. That's condemned and DoA.

PGR,PDZ,KAMEO etc. do NOT use any sort of AA (or AF), in fact PGR is the one that has worst shimmering of all my 360 games (because of the non HDTV resolution that is useD), whereas CoD seems to shimmer least.

GRAW is NOT using any AA as well (nor AF)! And please don't come posting any non ingame screenshots with some 10xSSAA applied to 'em...

Nemo80 said:
Right now there are only 2 games on the 360 that use 2xAA. That's condemned and DoA.

PGR,PDZ,KAMEO etc. do NOT use any sort of AA (or AF), in fact PGR is the one that has worst shimmering of all my 360 games (because of the non HDTV resolution that is useD), whereas CoD seems to shimmer least.

GRAW is NOT using any AA as well (nor AF)! And please don't come posting any non ingame screenshots with some 10xSSAA applied to 'em...
what is AF and what does it do?

nintenho said:
what is AF and what does it do?

Anisotropic Filtering: Makes your textures look sharp in a distance, when angles become very small (e.g. markings on a street etc...)

nintenho said:
How necessary is it?
It's no more "necessary" than any other filtering technology, it's just that it improves the IQ (Image Quality) of the rendered frame.
Without Anisotropic Filtering the Mip-Mapped textured surfaces seem blurry in the distance.

I'd really like to have some graphics options in games. I want to be able to turn on/off AA, what type of filtering to use etc.

Actually it is only switching on and off the interlacing blending.

Nemo80 said:

Ok Good so its not just me.:oops:

Nemo80 said:

Looking at the last pictures, GRAW is using FSAA x2 but not in HDR (at least not with bloom).

You can find them here:
http://www.jeux-france.com/news14701_ghost-recon-sur-xbox-360-en-video.html

Clear example, in the chopper frame
http://www.jeux-france.com/images13_4_14701.html
and
http://www.jeux-france.com/images14_4_14701.html

I would say they are using some basic AF, like x4.
Anyhow, the new lighting engine looks amazing, I can't wait for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back