Sony Responds to Merrill Lynch Report

Gholbine

Regular
Bloomberg said:
Feb. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., the world's second- biggest consumer electronics maker, denied a Merrill Lynch & Co. report that the PlayStation 3 video game console may be delayed.

``There is no change in our original plan to release the console in spring 2006'' in Japan, said Kei Sakaguchi, a Sony spokesman in Tokyo. Sony may start selling the PlayStation 3 in Japan in autumn and by late 2006 or early 2007 in the U.S., Merrill Lynch's Joe Osha said in a report dated Feb. 17.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=asbSll.kfEgk&refer=asia

Gholbine said:

Funny, Reuters came to the exact opposite conclusion.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/New...157501_RTRIDST_0_TECH-SONY-PLAYSTATION-DC.XML

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp. said on Monday it still aims to launch its next-generation PlayStation 3 video game console this spring, but it could be delayed if industry specifications for some of its technology are not finalised soon.

The launch of Playstation 3 (PS3) has been the subject of heavy speculation in the industry as expectations are high for the powerful machine, which will feature cutting-edge technology in its DVD, processors and graphics.

I can remember a time when it was sopposed to have a simultaneous worldwide release, and now it's Spring....In Japan only. And I even doubt that. They can simply delay it whenever they want. They could announce the delay tmorrow, or the day after, or next month. Either way, things will be more clear by E3.

BenQ said:
I can remember a time when it was sopposed to have a simultaneous worldwide release, and now it's Spring....In Japan only. And I even doubt that. They can simply delay it whenever they want. They could announce the delay tmorrow, or the day after, or next month. Either way, things will be more clear by E3.

Yeah but you know Sony still has not said what territory the PS3 will come out in first.

Kryton said:
Funny, Reuters came to the exact opposite conclusion.
Thats the exact opposite? Funny.

BenQ said:
I can remember a time when it was sopposed to have a simultaneous worldwide release
I don't think you can. Either widely rumoured, hinted at, announced or otherwise.

BenQ said:

Japan only? Where does it say that?

Bloomberg added "in Japan" outside the quotes, but Sony have said nothing about regions.

but it could be delayed if industry specifications for some of its technology are not finalised soon.

So in other words, everything is ready, just Blu-Ray DRM specs not ... guess Microsoft succeeded with their next gen delay tactic.

Fredi

McFly said:
So in other words, everything is ready, just Blu-Ray DRM specs not ... guess Microsoft succeeded with their next gen delay tactic.

Fredi

What are you talking about? MS doesn't control the HDMI spec nor do they control the AACS spec.:rolleyes:

mckmas8808 said:
Yeah but you know Sony still has not said what territory the PS3 will come out in first.

What do you mean? I think the probability of Sony releasing PS3 in any other territory than Japan at first is very, very, very low.

I was under the impression that not only are the games region free but Japan and NA are in the same bluray region too. So shouldn't we be able to import the system in as soon as it is released in Japan?

Diamond.G said:
I was under the impression that not only are the games region free but Japan and NA are in the same bluray region too. So shouldn't we be able to import the system in as soon as it is released in Japan?

1) It's still not confirmed that games will be "region free".
2) Even if they were, do you really think you'll be able to get your hands on a Japanese PS3 any time soon after release? ;)

NANOTEC said:
What are you talking about? MS doesn't control the HDMI spec nor do they control the AACS spec.:rolleyes:

You don't have to controle something to influence something. Microsoft is part of the AACS team and their wishes clearly influenced the delay:

Among the more contentious issues has been implementation of the “managed-copy” requirement for AACS-encrypted discs.

Under rules generally agreed on by the eight members of the consortium, all AACS-encrypted discs must permit users to “rip” the content to a hard drive under carefully controlled conditions.

The provision is regarded as essential by Microsoft and Intel, which hope to integrate the new formats into larger digital home networks based on their technology.

Microsoft and Intel were concerned that the operation of BD+, which is not under the jurisdiction of AACS-LA, could interfere with consumers’ ability to view their high-def discs over a home network.

Blu-ray companies have strongly disputed those claims, accusing Microsoft of concocting the issue in order to delay completion of the Blu-ray format specs.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6308373.html

Fredi

Last edited by a moderator:
McFly said:

Fredi

succeeded? Has Spring come and gone already?

london-boy said:
1) It's still not confirmed that games will be "region free".
2) Even if they were, do you really think you'll be able to get your hands on a Japanese PS3 any time soon after release? ;)
There is always toys'n'joys or lik-sang......

Hell I'm optimistic....

Lets hope they don't change their mind in the last minute once again. Trust me, I'm the last one that hopes the PS3 is delayed. Not that I expect to see the PS3 in 2006 over here in Europe, but I will import the console anyway.

Fredi

I could care less about when it launches,if a product is great who cares if it's late a few months.While you guy's were agruing over the when, did anyone notice that Sony didn't deny the cost part.

ninzel said:
did anyone notice that Sony didn't deny the cost part.

Why should they? It's better for them if the general public thinks they get a lot for their money, that it costs them a significant amount less than Sony has to invest to build the thing.

Fredi

Why deny the cost part? It's good advertising when the machine launches for much less and people feel they're getting a bargain.

On an off-topic but important point, I have to pull up the use of the phrase 'I could care less' on this board. It's been bothering me for a while, though I didn't say anything because it's rather mute. But use seems to be increasing. The phrase is 'I couldn't care less', not 'I could care less'.

'I couldn't care less' means your interest is non-existent. 'It is not possible for me to care any less about this subject than I currently do.'

'I could care less' means you have some interest by which it is possible for you to care less, but it doesn't quantify your interest. It doesn't say 'I'm quite interested', 'very interested', 'slightly interested'. It could be any of those things. 'I could care less' is thus pretty meaningless, and the use of the term by people meaning to say they don't care has got to stop or I'll go spare! :p

Back