PS3's disk drive, faster than 3x??

While reading though my links i noticed this :

dvdvsbdrs1af.png

Notice there how a 10x DVD drive is the same speed or slightly above a 3x Blu-ray drive :)

Now do you remember that quote from the kikizo PS3 article

we're programming the game as if it will be written for a 10-speed DVD drive. Anything less would affect load time."

Well why are programming the game's for a drive thats faster than the one PS3's suposed to have??? Or could it be that it is a 3x drive or higher ;)

Disclaimer : Its sunday and im drunk from the football :(

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
Notice there how a 10x DVD drive is the same speed or slightly above a 3x Blu-ray drive :)

That's the maximum read rate, though. The "constant" read rate, or the average, would be below that, somewhere in between the min and max.

According to that chart, a 2x Blu-ray drive's constant rate is just a tad higher than a 10x drive's minimum rate.

Anyway, do such things as 3x Blu-ray drives exist, or will they?

Titanio said:
That's the maximum read rate, though. The "constant" read rate, or the average, would be below that, somewhere in between the min and max.

According to that chart, a 2x Blu-ray drive's constant rate is just a tad higher than a 10x drive's minimum rate.

Anyway, do such things as 3x Blu-ray drives exist, or will they?

But if PS3 has a 2x Drive, it is still slower than a 10x DVD drive, so why are they coding for it?

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
But if PS3 has a 2x Drive, it is still slower than a 10x DVD drive, so why are they coding for it?

It's constant rate falls between the 10x's max and min rate, at least according to that chart and if I'm reading it properly. True, it's closer to the min rate, but still a little bit higher than that. So you'd need to find out what rate they're coding toward (the min or max or an average).

Any new news on the 4x BR/DVD/CD OPUs Sony was supposed to be making Q1 of this year?

The OPU is likely the bottleneck of drive speeds (especially at this point with BR). One (albeit shaky) conclusion a person could come to is that Sony's only announced OPU might find its way into the PS3 (since it is said they are going to be making it)... I'd guess more of a 2-3x drive though.

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:

The minimum transfer rate is the limiting factor, not maximum. A 10x DVD's minimum read speed seems to be just around 1.5x BR "constant read speed" according to that article.

Bobbler said:
Any new news on the 4x BR/DVD/CD OPUs Sony was supposed to be making Q1 of this year?

The OPU is likely the bottleneck of drive speeds (especially at this point with BR). One (albeit shaky) conclusion a person could come to is that Sony's only announced OPU might find its way into the PS3 (since it is said they are going to be making it)... I'd guess more of a 2-3x drive though.
opu?

Bobbler said:

I wonder if Sony WAS delaying till Fall generally, if that could open the door to a faster drive. Although my gut tells me that they'll be conservative about this, as laser supply is likely to be constrained starting out in Spring..unless they can be absolutely sure that that will be relieved over the summer (which may not be very likely..).

zidane1strife said:

optical pickup unit, the main cost component opf the BR drive IIRC. The Phillips OPU81 is one of the only ones released for BR
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=10136

"This compact optical pick-up unit (OPU), will be able to read and write CD-R/-RW, DVD+R(DL)/+RW and the next generation in optical storage, Blu-ray Disc (BD). The new triple writer OPU can be used for the design of IC chipsets for future data drives for the PC as well as consumer set-top box recorders. Mass production of the new OPU will start in 2006 when Philips anticipates that the mass-market demand for BD drives /recorders will pick-up (also see Q11-Q12)."
http://204.157.6.79/Sections/Reviews/Print.aspx?ArticleId=9958

I think Sony will be making it's own OPU, but I don't think anything's been announced, and we have no clue about the costs.

scooby_dooby said:
I think Sony will be making it's own OPU, but I don't think anything's been announced, and we have no clue about the costs.

Well I remember Sony announcing sampling and production of its own blu-ray OPUs ages ago, IIRC. So it is announced that they're manufacturing their own, although we have no idea of cost, of course.

I think Sony and Philips are the only companies in the world that produce them, currently.

not so good.... the little motor usualy gets fried after a few years (ppl complain about the laser, but the problem is more about the motor).

putting the ps2 standing up usually solves the problem (for some time)

weaksauce said:
How much of a "quality drive" did the ps2 get?

im on my 3rd ps2 if that tells you anything, the first 2 died on me because of the drive (did all the usual things to try and revive it), my current one is the slim ps2...i have a decent sized library to just give up on it, but others may not be so forgiving

weaksauce said:
How much of a "quality drive" did the ps2 get?

I myself been through 2 PS2's, but not for the same reason as the guys above. The 30001 model PS2's were loud and having the DVD drivers on the memory card was a bit of a nuisance. So I got the 50001 model. Other than that I've never encountered any disc drive or disc read issues with either PS2.

If it means anything, I have had my ps2 working fine since the day i picked it up, on NA launch day. My guess, ps3 is getting a 2x or faster drive.

This thread has NOTHING to do with PS2, so please shut up about its DVD drive,and for the record i have 1 last me 4 years and a friend who has has his since LAUNCH with NO problems.

Back