Interview on 1UP with David Jaffe

3roxor said:
..So you already assume Xbox360 can't compete?
In Japan? Right now the 360 is barely competing with the GameCube. They need to get out something HUGE and get it out FAST if they want to jump-start anything anything in Japan. If they let things smoulder until PS3 and Revolution come out, I can't see any effort on their part not getting utterly drowned out. If not, I think they'll have to wait for a few good games well AFTER PS3 and Rev make the rounds to catch peoples' eyes.

Short of a strategically-placed nuke or two, I can't think of anything that would save the 360 in Japan. They may ultimately sell more than the Xbox (which has under 1/8th the sales of the GameCube and 1/40th that of the PS2) through a few more appropriate and popular Japanese franchises, but they're already worse off than the Xbox was (which sold ~120k in the first week, while the 360 was at ~103k as of the 5th). At that comparative time in the Xbox's life, they'd sold ~192k.

It's not a huge assumption. In Japan, they have one HECKUVA hill to climb and no momentum to help.

Avon_Implosion said:
if you're being sarastic, then you should look at that statement and reconsider how true it really is...because, in all honesty, that WOULD help MS' image when next E3 rolls around...
show off a CG Halo 3, and everyone would go apeshit.

actually i wasn't being sarcastic at all

Avon_Implosion said:
if you're being sarastic, then you should look at that statement and reconsider how true it really is...because, in all honesty, that WOULD help MS' image when next E3 rolls around...
show off a CG Halo 3, and everyone would go apeshit.

They can't. You can only show CG movies when the public doesn't know what to expect like with the PS3.

3roxor said:
They can't. You can only show CG movies when the public doesn't know what to expect like with the PS3.

They can always show (overly?) ambitious realtime "target footage", though, ala the original Halo2 teaser ;) Although word out of Bungie recently is that they're next game is coming along well, so I think we may be passed the stage where they'd just show a teaser. I hope so anyway, it'd be nice if Halo3 were playable as a surprise at E3 (maybe too much to hope for..).

Titanio said:
Again, I'm not discounting Revolution. I think Rev can be a very strong second, at least (!), in Japan, and perhaps even worldwide. But I think in a best case scenario, Nintendo would only have a couple of months on Sony if Sony were to launch in Sept.
If the Revolution is a runaway success like the DS is in Japan, well those few months will make all the difference. The DS was what, a week or two ahead of the PSP?

Titanio said:
As for the "BS" Sony would have to come up with, no BS required. It's delayed till Sept, it'll be ready then, here's a launch date and price, start preordering. It need be no more complex than that.
It certainly doesn't help the company's perception of honesty. Really, it would just show that the entire PS3 unveiling was...misleading.

Games that don't tap the console cannot be as "polished and refined as those over at the 360 booth.", to put it in your words? That was the argument I was responding to, not whether the games would tap the system or not. Of course they won't be maxxing out the system, but there's good reason to be hopeful that they'll look very good.
Fact of the matter is, it will be 1st gen PS3 games going up against 2nd gen Xbox 360 games. There is not going to be the rather large difference Sony has been boasting, it likely may not fall in their favor. By polished and refined, I meant that the games at E3 will be showing off what the 360 can do, I'm not saying they won't look very good, I have my doubts, but I'm not stating that.

No they won't, I'd say most are already convinced.
Probably because we've seen very little, if any real, honest to goodness PS3 games in real-time. When people see the games not meeting the CG Sony has been feeding us, I'm pretty sure there will be quite a few that will question waiting for the PS3. Even I am thinking about getting a 360.

In terms of current public perception, that may be questionable given how carefully Sony has managed what people can and can't see sofar. Of course, all will be revealed eventually, warts and all, but the wider perception is and IMO will remain that PS3 is the more powerful system, and that will encourage the consideration that as time wears on, PS3 games may start pulling ahead, visually and otherwise, to a greater degree. People don't just invest in systems for what's there right now, but also what they expect over time. It is of course, not just about "pretty games".
Which is exactly why Microsoft is not the one who needs diapers. Sony is the one who needs to maintain that perception. As it stands now, developers are calling it a toss up between the two, and that perception of the PS3 being the more powerful console may end up losing strength if at E3, there are games on the 360 that are outclassing real games on the PS3. Microsoft is not Sega, and I seriously hope that the public is not stupid enough to believe Sony once again. Sony has got to show people that their console is worth waiting, who knows how long for. And I don't believe that is going to be easy. Their only real selling point now is Blu-Ray. Apart from that, their console matches up pretty evenly with the Xbox 360.

I don't think Sony has ever launched a system without a competitor system being out there with more games. That'll change over time.
Again, Microsoft is not Sega. Developers are not abandoning the Xbox 360, rather, it is getting quite a lot of support, far more than Sega could have dreamed of. And that is going to continue throughout it's lifetime, which I'm pretty sure is not going to end prematurely.

EpicZero said:
It certainly doesn't help the company's perception of honesty. Really, it would just show that the entire PS3 unveiling was...misleading.

You do realize that no mass market consumer of any console (the vast majority of the industry's customer base) follows news like people on this forum do? They also are likely not to care about any promises mentioned at last year's E3. Heck, they don't even know who KK and the rest of the Sony Marketing team are. All they know is that there will be a new Sony console soon enough and they are excited about it because of all the buzz going on in the media.

People on these boards who feel betrayed by a company's business strategy, which may or may not change do to things outside its control, are the only one's losing here. I wouldn't even be surprised if most of these people don't even enjoy gaming anymore. The fact is that Sony's console will be available in the next 6 months or so. Let it go.

ROG27 said:
You do realize that no mass market consumer of any console (the vast majority of the industry's customer base) follows news like people on this forum do? They also are likely not to care about any promises mentioned at last year's E3. .

Except announcements at E3 are paraphrased and spread by hundreds of news articles and television broadcasts throughout the world, not to mention word of mouth.

There's probably not a newspaper out there in North America that didn't run something about ps3 launching in spring 06.

ROG27 said:
You do realize that no mass market consumer of any console (the vast majority of the industry's customer base) follows news like people on this forum do? They also are likely not to care about any promises mentioned at last year's E3. Heck, they don't even know who KK and the rest of the Sony Marketing team are. All they know is that there will be a new Sony console soon enough and they are excited about it because of all the buzz going on in the media.

That's my gut feel as well. There are a majority of silent PS2 owners. When PS3 is released, they will come out of the woods over time. Sony may not need to show a quantum leap compared to Xbox 360. As long as the titles impress these people, they'd be happy. Their PS2 library (including any games not completed) will also be "preserved" when they upgrade to PS3.

More speculations !

These PS2 users are already used to seeing better graphics on Xbox (compared to PS2). Sony only needs to announce a line-up similar to the PS2 favorites today, and have 1-2 launch games on-par with Xbox 360 2nd gen games and demos (look-wise). That would be sufficient to keep most fans in line.

To set itself apart from Xbox and Gamecube, Sony can demonstrate 1-2 unique features such as EyeToy (Eyedentity ?), and perhaps any built-in DLNA/media functions, plus promise of Playstation Online further down the road.

What interests me more is the order of things Sony plans to do to minimize impact to PS2 (if PS3 is not that ready). I think they'd want to keep the PS3 announcements and availability pretty close (within a month).

weaksauce said:
Heck, I'd prefer ps3 info over any release of a 360 game.

:devilish:
..and how does that matter exactly???

About that Jaffe guy ,it is quite funny to see a grown man speaking like he is 10 years old...

A little rabbling about Halo...

I remember Halo2 launch and after i played through that game it felt like one or two more levels and the game should finished. So for my part Halo dropped with Halo2, it was fun to play as the arbiter first but then "what the heck i want too play as Master chief! i didnt like it".
Anyway I concider Halo3 Will co-launch with the movie to create the same hype as part 2 did.

About PS3 now its quite obvious they have run into delays of some sort. I think its probably because they wanted to hold PS3 of a little longer but was dragged into the mess with MS
and sett up unrealistic goals or maybe realistic for the time at E3.

I think we can see the marks of this with their very strong support of PS2 and loads of AAA titles coming 06..

This is the easiest explanation but they always seem to hold so i stick with it.

I would consider the PS3 delay if it has not launched in NA/EU/JP before holiday.
One holliday more alone in Europe is NOT good.

So anything before Holliday 06 would i consider succes if it goes smothly and Europe with a market as big as NA BEFORE the holliday.

Would be smarter to launch it first in NA/EU than in JP but thats not going to happend :)

EpicZero said:
If the Revolution is a runaway success like the DS is in Japan, well those few months will make all the difference. The DS was what, a week or two ahead of the PSP?

Well you've just proven my point - DS's success over PSP in Japan has nothing to do with its lead time.

EpicZero said:

It would show that "Spring 2006" was misleading, and not even deliberately so. I do genuinely think Sony was aiming for Spring, if not March or April 06 in Japan, if that has since changed.

EpicZero said:
Fact of the matter is, it will be 1st gen PS3 games going up against 2nd gen Xbox 360 games. There is not going to be the rather large difference Sony has been boasting, it likely may not fall in their favor.

If there's any difference between first gen PS3 games and second gen 360 games, it probably will say something. (One could argue we've already seen differences.)

EpicZero said:
Probably because we've seen very little, if any real, honest to goodness PS3 games in real-time.

Most stuff has been realtime or in-engine, actually.

EpicZero said:
Which is exactly why Microsoft is not the one who needs diapers. Sony is the one who needs to maintain that perception.

You think Sony's only strength is in pretty games? Did you even own a PS2, or were you awake for the last 6 years? Pretty games is icing for Sony, nothing more.

EpicZero said:
As it stands now, developers are calling it a toss up between the two

Not really.

EpicZero said:
Microsoft is not Sega, and I seriously hope that the public is not stupid enough to believe Sony once again.

Stupid enough to believe they'll deliver another system with as much value and longevity as their previous ones? There are an many many very happy playstation owners. My point is MS is the one who has to do the convincing here, that people should buy something other than the next Playstation, because it would be the default choice for most.

EpicZero said:
Again, Microsoft is not Sega. Developers are not abandoning the Xbox 360, rather, it is getting quite a lot of support, far more than Sega could have dreamed of. And that is going to continue throughout it's lifetime, which I'm pretty sure is not going to end prematurely.

Western support will be >= 360. Japanese support with be >> 360. Thus over time one would can logically expect that situation to change.

Anyway, this argument is snowballing. My original point is that MS could do with improving on the PR/marketing front, not least at tradeshows (not that tradeshows necessarily have a wider significance..). I can already see this broadening into a different set of discussions/arguments we've already had about a billion times, something I really don't have the energy for (!)

Last edited by a moderator:
ROG27 said:

People on these boards who feel betrayed by a company's business strategy, which may or may not change do to things outside its control, are the only one's losing here. I wouldn't even be surprised if most of these people don't even enjoy gaming anymore. The fact is that Sony's console will be available in the next 6 months or so. Let it go.

This is why IMO we have games that are rushed, are becoming less groundbreaking (more clones), and mostly built on hype. I for one DO care about what a company promises or "advertises" (and I have held off on buying a console due to it) and make sure to remind them when they dont deliver. We need to hold MS, Sony, Nintendo or whoever accountable for what they are promising to produce. Again IMO all the companies mentioned above are only becoming worse and we as consumers let them off to easily for their "misleading" statements about games or hardware etc. For example: I have always felt that if a developer or console maker chooses to use CGI trailers then by all means use them. Just dont refer or insinuate they are in game play due to using the game engine etc. (which we all know can be argued in number of different ways). I'm sure I am in the minority of this thinking (and holding a grudge :)) but I can tell you that if many more people protested to which ever console maker or developer (from words to their hard earned $$) then these companies might be more forthcoming (well a little more :)).

Then again in this day in age I really dont see that happening.

Sorry for the Babble just back from Gal-Bladder surgery :)

Titanio said:
Anyway, this argument is snowballing. My original point is that MS could do with improving on the PR/marketing front, not least at tradeshows (not that tradeshows necessarily have a wider significance..). I can already see this broadening into a different set of discussions/arguments we've already had about a billion times, something I really don't have the energy for (!)
I agree. And to not extend the argument, I'll simply say, I think it is very naive of Jaffe to say that Microsoft should be worried about Sony at E3, when it's Sony that has to prove to everyone that the PS3 is all that they've promised.

A bit more info on what MS probably has in store for E3 (didn't want to create a thread for that).

We saw presentations about Gears of War; Too Human; Crackdown; Vanguard; Rise of Legends; Flight Sim; N3; Blue Dragon; Xbox Live Arcade games, the HD-DVD drive, and a bunch of other products/games I either can't remember or can't talk about. Some of the games/products had live demos, albeit I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say which ones. A couple times, the presentations/demos were interrupted by spontaneous applause and cheers. I walked away with the impression that we have a compelling lineup this year and beyond.

And I haven't seen any third party game demos. Those are super-secret and I couldn't get into the meeting room. . .

The HDDVD demo surprised me. I didn't expect it so soon (assuming they showed working hardware)...

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2006/02/17/533316.aspx

pipo said:
A bit more info on what MS probably has in store for E3 (didn't want to create a thread for that).

The HDDVD demo surprised me. I didn't expect it so soon (assuming they showed working hardware)...

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2006/02/17/533316.aspx
So my BS detector immediately went off since this sounded like another internet rumor. However, if you check out the blog's About section:

This blog is written by employees of Microsoft.
  • Tony Hynes (Bastelyon), Online Community Lead Mgr, Xbox Global Mktg
  • Cesar Menendez (cesarisok), Online Community Mgr, Xbox Global Mktg
  • John Porcaro (stalalem), Group Mgr, PR & Communications, Xbox Global Mktg
  • Michael Wolf, PR Manager, Xbox Live and Games for Windows, Xbox Global Mktg
  • Josh Goldberg, Product Manager, Xbox Global Mktg

David Jaffee comes across to me as an attention whoring clown to be honest. He fits right into a lot of messageboard communities such as GAF, IGN, etc.

Metal said:
David Jaffee comes across to me as an attention whoring clown to be honest. He fits right into a lot of messageboard communities such as GAF, IGN, etc.

He might like attention, but I be damned to think that he's a clown. A clown he is not.

Jaffe recognises the attention whore in himself, to a degree. You should check out the 1up show interview (that these comments were taken from). He talks about how, after Twisted Metal 2, he persued attention from the press etc. etc. but that this completely messed up his focus on his following game, which he thinks was crap. And since that happened, though, he claims not to care about it all so much anymore. And in fact, he's withdrawn from his own blog since that 1up interview, probably because of the experience he had before. He says in his blog:

I know I tried it before but it just feels wrong to keep blogging and speaking and such. I’m going to try to finish off whatever commitments I have to the press and to other folks (GDC, E3) and then just go away for a bit.

I fear I’m in danger of becoming more known for what I have to say than for the work me and the teams I work with create…it’s a fear I’ve had for a while but it just keeps gnawing at me.

http://www.davidjaffe.typepad.com/

Back