Interview on 1UP with David Jaffe

winstonsmith1978 said:
What if Sony announced GTA as an exclusive for the PS3?
Keep holding that one out there; I'm sure it will come true eventually.

Sony could just announce the next GT... they sell better than Halo.

PS3 is exponentially more important than any single game, on any system. Not only that, when has MS ever demonstrated competence at events like this? Sony (and to a lesser extent Nintendo) is always running circles around them.

Serenity Painted Death said:
Sony could just announce the next GT... they sell better than Halo.

PS3 is exponentially more important than any single game, on any system. Not only that, when has MS ever demonstrated competence at events like this? Sony (and to a lesser extent Nintendo) is always running circles around them.

...while jumping continuously! :LOL:

In all seriousness, concerning the trade shows (E3, TGS), Sony has indeed schooled Microsoft left and right. I just hope it translates to a solid console launch and allows the PS3 to be a worthy successor to the mega-successful PS2. The coming months will be exciting, but all of this could still easily blow up in Sony's face.

It's not about playing dirty, but having a greater appreciation for whats important where, and managing expectations better.

dukmahsik said:
yeah right on, MS should start playing dirty just like sony, it's the best way to hype

Actually it's not called playing dirty, it's called being smart. Didn't MS do it, but just to a lesser extent?

Edit: Beaten, but still my quote stands.

Titanio said:
Err...? Dare I ask what you're referring to here?
PS3 development or the launching of the PS3 is not going as smoothly as Sony would like. If the PS3 is out anytime before the summer, I'll be amazed. At this point, late February, final kits are slowly being released, some sources saying they aren't even the final kits promised, developers haven't even held the controller, there is so much confusion as to where the PS3 really lies, I'm sorry, I don't believe that Sony is doing this on purpose.

It worked again at TGS. Sony has thusfar been schooling MS as far as marketing and PR goes.

The mechanics of tradeshow presentation are pretty complex - how much impact each company has really depends a whole lot on themselves and how much they do or don't show before the show. Both Nintendo and Sony are at an advantage here for the moment - this is their pre-launch E3, there is a lot more room for surprise and new stuff to be shown. Of course, both could start to open up prior to E3, blunting the impact somewhat. But if Sony and Nintendo continue to play their cards reasonably close to their chests before E3, Halo3 won't be some luxury trump card for MS - it'd be an absolute necessity to stay visible amongst the crowd, barring some revelatory game elsewhere. E3 could well be the first general opportunity to play PS3 and Revolution, see launch plans etc. something that would be hard to attract attention away from. There's really huge potential on both Sony and Nintendo's part for a monumental blow-out at E3 - even stuff Sony has already shown, we know so little about, still.
It's TGS. Sony didn't really have to show anything but a PS3 logo and they would have garnered more attention than Microsoft. I'm leaving Nintendo out of this one, since they are marching at their own beat.
Sony no longer has the advantage of being able to hide behind CG. I doubt even the press are stupid enough to fall for it once again. They have to bring out actual games this time. And here is where the entire perception of the PS3 being "orders of magnitude" more powerful than the Xbox 360 will soon disappear. People are going to realize that the 360 is equally as capable as the PS3, and if the 360's launch is anything to go by, the PS3 games shown won't be as polished and refined as those over at the 360 booth. And if E3 is the first time the PS3 is playable, then their entire "Spring 2006" is likely blown out of the window. And then, where is the "February Event" that is supposed to be the event "that is the eve of the PS3s release?"

EpicZero said:
Sony no longer has the advantage of being able to hide behind CG. I doubt even the press are stupid enough to fall for it once again. They have to bring out actual games this time. And here is where the entire perception of the PS3 being "orders of magnitude" more powerful than the Xbox 360 will soon disappear. People are going to realize that the 360 is equally as capable as the PS3, and if the 360's launch is anything to go by, the PS3 games shown won't be as polished and refined as those over at the 360 booth.

Well I think the reason people will realize that they are comparable is now MS doesn't have to show games that are 50% through development, while the game is being made on a devkit that isn't even representative a the Xbox 360.

I think it's less about Sony showing real games and more about MS being able to show what real next-gen games are about. What we seen at last year's E3 from MS was not a true representation of next-gen (I'm talking about the playable stuff here).

EpicZero said:
PS3 development or the launching of the PS3 is not going as smoothly as Sony would like. If the PS3 is out anytime before the summer, I'll be amazed. At this point, late February, final kits are slowly being released, some sources saying they aren't even the final kits promised, developers haven't even held the controller, there is so much confusion as to where the PS3 really lies, I'm sorry, I don't believe that Sony is doing this on purpose.

If Sony delays the machine past Spring in Japan, I'd consider that one screw-up. But the significance of that would be arguable given the territory - Japan will be eating out of Sony's hand either way.

EpicZero said:
It's TGS. Sony didn't really have to show anything but a PS3 logo and they would have garnered more attention than Microsoft.

Microsoft could have done a much better job than they did regardless. Whose bright idea was it to have Epic presenting Gears of War as a highlight of their press conference? If you ever get a chance, watch the video from that presser - it's most uncomfortable viewing, and the grilling MS got afterward is pretty telling.

EpicZero said:
They have to bring out actual games this time. And here is where the entire perception of the PS3 being "orders of magnitude" more powerful than the Xbox 360 will soon disappear. People are going to realize that the 360 is equally as capable as the PS3, and if the 360's launch is anything to go by, the PS3 games shown won't be as polished and refined as those over at the 360 booth.

360's last E3 isn't anything to go by for PS3's coming E3. At that point, MS was working off of very underpowered kits with rushed titles. On the contrary, titles shown for PS3 at E3 will have benefitted from

a) up to 17 months with a kit of some kind, if the earliest kits hit in early 05

b) up to 10 months or more with "beta" kits (those with the G70)

c) up to 5 months with final or near final hardware.

Sony is just maybe 3-4 or so months shy of 360 in terms of having final or near-final development hardware, and their previous hardware was a lot closer to final than MS's were, so I've no concerns in that regard. Remember what Sony showed last E3, asides from CG? Add 12+ months of development and a lot more titles, and see what you've got. Sony's launch, particularly if the first launches are in September as reported, should be anything but rushed, and that should show at E3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanio said:
If Sony delays the machine past Spring in Japan, I'd consider that one screw-up. But the significance of that would be arguable given the territory - Japan will be eating out of Sony's hand either way.

I agree with you whole quote accept this. Remember Nintendo is also launching in Japan later this year, so I will not say Japan will be eating out of Sony's hand regardless of how they treat them. Sony needs to get their act together sooner than later. They can't keep treating their consumers like trash by doing whatever and saying whatever the hell they feel.

mckmas8808 said:
I agree with you whole quote accept this. Remember Nintendo is also launching in Japan later this year, so I will not say Japan will be eating out of Sony's hand regardless of how they treat them. Sony needs to get their act together sooner than later. They can't keep treating their consumers like trash by doing whatever and saying whatever the hell they feel.

They're not treating anyone like trash. The dramatics some apply to silence from Sony is out of proportion..some perspective is warranted.

I'm not forgetting Nintendo either, but I don't see them launching in Japan much earlier than September themselves. I'm simply saying that if there is one territory where Sony could more comfortably delay its launch, it's gotta be Japan.

3roxor said:
..So you already assume Xbox360 can't compete?

in japan? 360 will be 3rd in japan no matter what... the sales should be better than xbox with the japanese titles and rpg's.. but c'mon

winstonsmith1978 said:
What if Sony announced GTA as an exclusive for the PS3?
Take 2 is hurtin', so I imagine they would be quite agreeable to financial donations. But, of course, that goes both ways. Maybe MS would outbid Sony.

Now that would make for an interesting turn of events. MS hasn't scored a coup like that since... Rare, probably. It'd be enough to stop conventional predictions for a month or so, anyway.

Titanio said:
That would be one major screw-up. I can't imagine the BS Sony would have to come up with to explain that one. I wouldn't be too sure about that, who knows the impact that the 360's bigger Japanese titles, and the Revolution will have.

Microsoft could have done a much better job than they did regardless. Whose bright idea was it to have Epic presenting Gears of War as a highlight of their press conference? If you ever get a chance, watch the video from that presser - it's most uncomfortable viewing, and the grilling MS got afterward is pretty telling.
Microsoft Japan aren't the smartest bunch, no denying that. Why Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey didn't have more of a showing is beyond me. However, as a gamer, I admire them far more than what Sony is doing, because Microsoft is coming with the truth. It's true I like Sony more than Microsoft, but I think Microsoft has done a much better job with their console so far than Sony has. They made a promise for a worldwide release, they met their goal, they've shown us games that were far too early to be shown, but at least we weren't...I guess you can't say lie, how about, misled. They didn't unveil their console behind smoke and mirrors, promise a release date, go on to say that there will be an event in which all would be suprised, and then go dead silent for nearly a year.

360's last E3 isn't anything to go by for PS3's coming E3. At that point, MS was working off of very underpowered kits with rushed titles. On the contrary, titles shown for PS3 at E3 will have benefitted from

a) up to 17 months with a kit of some kind, if the earliest kits hit in early 05

b) up to 10 months or more with "beta" kits (those with the G70)

c) up to 5 months with final or near final hardware.

Sony is just maybe 3-4 or so months shy of 360 in terms of having final or near-final development hardware, and their previous hardware was a lot closer to final than MS's were, so I've no concerns in that regard. Remember what Sony showed last E3, asides from CG? Add 12+ months of development and a lot more titles, and see what you've got. Sony's launch, particularly if the first launches are in September as reported, should be anything but rushed, and that should show at E3.
I'm going with the point that launch games rarely ever tap into the console. The fact of the matter is, Sony is going to have to pull a rabbit out of their hat to convince the majority of people why they should wait for a PS3, when on the other side, the grass is just as green, if not greener. The 360 has a service that is supreme, they have games that looks equally as pretty as Sony's, their console is already out, and there will be a larger selection of games for it. That is why I believe that Jaffe shouldn't be saying that Microsoft is going to be in need of diaper's at E3, they are at a very comfortable position.

dukmahsik said:
yeah right on, MS should start playing dirty just like sony, it's the best way to hype

if you're being sarastic, then you should look at that statement and reconsider how true it really is...because, in all honesty, that WOULD help MS' image when next E3 rolls around...
show off a CG Halo 3, and everyone would go apeshit.

EpicZero said:
That would be one major screw-up. I can't imagine the BS Sony would have to come up with to explain that one. I wouldn't be too sure about that, who knows the impact that the 360's bigger Japanese titles, and the Revolution will have.

Again, I'm not discounting Revolution. I think Rev can be a very strong second, at least (!), in Japan, and perhaps even worldwide. But I think in a best case scenario, Nintendo would only have a couple of months on Sony if Sony were to launch in Sept.

As for the "BS" Sony would have to come up with, no BS required. It's delayed till Sept, it'll be ready then, here's a launch date and price, start preordering. It need be no more complex than that.

EpicZero said:
I'm going with the point that launch games rarely ever tap into the console.

Games that don't tap the console cannot be as "polished and refined as those over at the 360 booth.", to put it in your words? That was the argument I was responding to, not whether the games would tap the system or not. Of course they won't be maxxing out the system, but there's good reason to be hopeful that they'll look very good.

EpicZero said:
The fact of the matter is, Sony is going to have to pull a rabbit out of their hat to convince the majority of people why they should wait for a PS3

No they won't, I'd say most are already convinced.

EpicZero said:
The 360 has a service that is supreme, they have games that looks equally as pretty as Sony's

In terms of current public perception, that may be questionable given how carefully Sony has managed what people can and can't see sofar. Of course, all will be revealed eventually, warts and all, but the wider perception is and IMO will remain that PS3 is the more powerful system, and that will encourage the consideration that as time wears on, PS3 games may start pulling ahead, visually and otherwise, to a greater degree. People don't just invest in systems for what's there right now, but also what they expect over time. It is of course, not just about "pretty games".

EpicZero said:
their console is already out, and there will be a larger selection of games for it.

I don't think Sony has ever launched a system without a competitor system being out there with more games. That'll change over time.

Back