Interview on 1UP with David Jaffe

Interview on 1UP with David Jaffe Creative Director of God of War.

Not much interesting here. Mostly smack talk. But since there is such a drought of information on the ps3... http://the1upshow.1up.com/

On E3:

Dave: I'm excited to see how much... you know... fear exists in the eyes of Microsoft when they see the PS3. I'm eager to see that.

Jane: You think their afraid?

Dave: I think their bringing diapers to the show. I think they're... you know...

Jane: What about online though?

Dave: What about it?

Jane: You think sony is going to be able to pull off...

Dave: I'm not allowed to say anything... Look here's what I can tell you. Do you think Sony is a smart company?

Jane: About somethings.

Dave: Ok... so....

Jane: But look how they launched the PSP for example. Like...

Dave: How did they launch the PSP?

Jane: Ok first of all DS...

Dave: Are you talking about the PSP that is $100 more than the DS but is continuing in America to be always neck and neck or not above it even though its a hundred dollars more? That PSP? Ok, I was just making sure that was the one you were talking about.

On his game appearing at E3:
Dave: I do not believe it will be at E3

Jaffe is the kind of developer you either love or hate. Mostly, it goes by what platform you like.

Reminds me of Itagaki.

The difference between him and Itagaki though is Tomonobu is working for a 3rd party company. While we're on Dave, I wish Twisted Metal PS3.

.Z

-NakedZ- said:
The difference between him and Itagaki though is Tomonobu is working for a 3rd party company.
Of course there are differences. Actually, Itagaki has cooled off quite a bit. Jaffe, conversely, seems to have lost no, shall we say, vigor.

mckmas8808 said:
I love Jaffe. The man has some huge balls to say those types of things about MS though.
I love Jaffe, too, because I see so much of my own enthusiasm and self-doubt in his public persona. But still, his appeal to authority is a tad empty.

And I used to love Idagaki too for the same reasons, but when he started to diss Tekken in a very open way that respect just fell 90%. If you are going to diss something you have to make sure you are better that competitor's game.

Hope Jaffe doesn't look stupid in a couple of months. I read that MS will have a lot of AAA surprises at E3.

mckmas8808 said:
Hope Jaffe doesn't look stupid in a couple of months. I read that MS will have a lot of AAA surprises at E3.

MS will have a hard time, no matter what they'll do. I'd expect the PS3 with a lot of new titles too... Nintendo will come out with great stuff.

Can't wait for the Halo trailer though. :)

Sis said:
I love Jaffe, too, because I see so much of my own enthusiasm and self-doubt in his public persona. But still, his appeal to authority is a tad empty.

I'm not sure if his "faith" is blind, however. Just the week before DICE he was at a big big big internal SCE meeting in San Fran, and he probably saw a lot re PS3. In that context, I guess we can infer that he like what he saw there, a lot.

Of course, he's going to be biased though ;)

Balls

mckmas8808 said:
I love Jaffe. The man has some huge balls to say those types of things about MS though.

Yes I think they must be large, also Itagaki, and maybe Kutaragi has largest. Also one very big balls man is Ballmer. I saw one video where he makes many silly jumps while talking like he has drugs. He is crazy. I cannot have doubts on this.

Titanio said:
I'm not sure if his "faith" is blind, however. Just the week before DICE he was at a big big big internal SCE meeting in San Fran, and he probably saw a lot re PS3. In that context, I guess we can infer that he like what he saw there, a lot.

Of course, he's going to be biased though ;)
Without in-depth knowledge of both sides of the equation, yes, it is blind. The only way around that is if the thing is so slam dunk in favor of the PS3 that he could tell no development was happening for the 360. I don't think that case is worth considering, so his faith is blind. And it's biased, but we agree on that. :p

-NakedZ- said:
The difference between him and Itagaki though is Tomonobu is working for a 3rd party company. While we're on Dave, I wish Twisted Metal PS3.

.Z
He might as well be a first party to Microsoft. ;)

I like Jaffe and all, but come on, that is just stupid. Microsoft has no reason to be afraid, they have their console out, they have a stable, working online system with an established community. They have a huge amount of dev support, and they have plenty of unannounced games, some of which could tip the scales in their favors. If there is any company that should be having diapers at E3, it probably should be Sony. They should be worrying how much attention Microsoft can attract, forgetting the fact they so far have been screwing up with the PS3. They caught Microsoft off-guard at E3, everyone can admit that, but they will be fools to think that it will work again.

Halo 3 would eclipse anything Sony could muster up.

EpicZero said:
If there is any company that should be having diapers at E3, it probably should be Sony. They should be worrying how much attention Microsoft can attract, forgetting the fact they so far have been screwing up with the PS3.

Err...? Dare I ask what you're referring to here?

EpicZero said:
They caught Microsoft off-guard at E3, everyone can admit that, but they will be fools to think that it will work again.

Halo 3 would eclipse anything Sony could muster up.

It worked again at TGS. Sony has thusfar been schooling MS as far as marketing and PR goes.

The mechanics of tradeshow presentation are pretty complex - how much impact each company has really depends a whole lot on themselves and how much they do or don't show before the show. Both Nintendo and Sony are at an advantage here for the moment - this is their pre-launch E3, there is a lot more room for surprise and new stuff to be shown. Of course, both could start to open up prior to E3, blunting the impact somewhat. But if Sony and Nintendo continue to play their cards reasonably close to their chests before E3, Halo3 won't be some luxury trump card for MS - it'd be an absolute necessity to stay visible amongst the crowd, barring some revelatory game elsewhere. E3 could well be the first general opportunity to play PS3 and Revolution, see launch plans etc. something that would be hard to attract attention away from. There's really huge potential on both Sony and Nintendo's part for a monumental blow-out at E3 - even stuff Sony has already shown, we know so little about, still.

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense. But I think the people who compare Halo3 news to ps3 news have a warped sense of scale.

Halo is a big game. But it's just 1 game.

inefficient said:
No offense. But I think the people who compare Halo3 news to ps3 news have a warped sense of scale.

Halo is a big game. But it's just 1 game.

Heck, I'd prefer ps3 info over any release of a 360 game.

:devilish:

mckmas8808 said:
And I used to love Idagaki too for the same reasons, but when he started to diss Tekken in a very open way that respect just fell 90%. If you are going to diss something you have to make sure you are better that competitor's game.

Very true, though personally, after Jaffe delivered God of War, he now has a lifetime of free passes on this. It would take a John Romero-set of disappointments for me to lose any respect for David.

Back