Mark Rein interview: 360 more powerful than expected

Mark Rein: We're definitely interested in it and we're looking forward to seeing the specifications and where it sits in terms of graphical capability. We're interested in looking at it, we've spoken to Nintendo and expressed our interest.

Why are they taking so long to give specs and dev kits to Epic?
I only can think that they do not have final dev kits yet and they need a powerfull specs to show to them, or they are affraid of getting specs leaked too soon with so many people using UE3, or it wll not match UE3 needs (which I really doubt, unless it is because of some peculiar architeture).

scooby_dooby said:
So literally anyone can go?
Well I think u need to have some kind of industry credentials. I didn't (wouldn't) go - just I know not everyone is a bona fide dev.

Jawed

DemoCoder said:
Isn't Marc Rein that blowhard guy who mega-dissed the Revolution in that panel discussion, as well as claiming that the XB360 could have HDMI out with a cable adapter? Makes me suspicious of his credentials and intellectual honesty.

He didn't diss it at all he just said in his opinion there is no need for a new controller, he pulled out a 360 controller and said this works damn well. When asked if he though the 360 controller was the 'best it could get' he said no, but the solution is not the revolution controller, it's not a single button motion detecting pad with a little N64 style joystick...that's just his opinion. He also said this will spawn some of the most gimmicky games ever.

Maybe not sugarcoated, but most of what he says is fairly true, when you actually look at the controller it is not that amazing, the joystick does not look comfortable, and it will spawn many gimmicky games that's for sure.

I think rein was half cut there or something, he was really goin off...

scooby_dooby said:
Maybe not sugarcoated, but most of what he says is fairly true, when you actually look at the controller it is not that amazing, the joystick does not look comfortable

The problem is, you really can't tell much at all about how a controller works - particularly one like this - just by looking at it. I don't know if Rein has had the opportunity to try it or not. I haven't, but nearly all accounts I've read from those who have have been glowing, some overflowing with enthusiasm.

Titanio said:
The problem is, you really can't tell much at all about how a controller works - particularly one like this - just by looking at it. I don't know if Rein has had the opportunity to try it or not. I haven't, but nearly all accounts I've read from those who have have been glowing, some overflowing with enthusiasm.
I agree, but at the same time you can still have an opinion based on how it looks. For example, why didn't they use a nice thumbstick like xbox or ps1 uses? Just by lookin at it I know right now that's not gonna be too great...n64 and GC both had shit joysticks.

Anyways, I don't really have an opinion on the subject, I'll wait and see, it's gonna be a long ass time before I even look at the revolution.

pc999 said:
Why are they taking so long to give specs and dev kits to Epic?
I only can think that they do not have final dev kits yet and they need a powerfull specs to show to them, or they are affraid of getting specs leaked too soon with so many people using UE3, or it wll not match UE3 needs (which I really doubt, unless it is because of some peculiar architeture).
I think the guy at NoE that challenged Rein is gone now.

EDIT: Merrick, I think, was his name.

scooby_dooby said:
He didn't diss it at all he just said in his opinion there is no need for a new controller, he pulled out a 360 controller and said this works damn well.

You could say the same thing about game controllers before the introduction of the thumbstick. There was nothing wrong with the origional ps1 pad, so why make the the DS2 or N64 controller.

I personally don't like aiming with thumbsticks and i would have to imagine that the rev remote is a step in the right direction.

winstonsmith1978 said:
You could say the same thing about game controllers before the introduction of the thumbstick. There was nothing wrong with the origional ps1 pad, so why make the the DS2 or N64 controller.
Well, some would argue that the current game pad is basically the refinement of 15 years worth of joytick/d-pad based controllers so it's pretty damn good, it's evolved into an extremely good interface.

Anyways, Rein agrees with you, he just doesn't believe that the rev controller is the answer. Me, I dunno, don't care, whatever...

scooby_dooby said:
Well, some would argue that the current game pad is basically the refinement of 15 years worth of joytick/d-pad based controllers so it's pretty damn good, it's evolved into an extremely good interface.

Anyways, Rein agrees with you, he just doesn't believe that the rev controller is the answer. Me, I dunno, don't care, whatever...

Agree and FWIW, Rein wasn't the ONLY one with that POV either.

I think the controller is neat but you know what...

If you want to fish, go fishing with friends or *gasp* your kids, if you want to chop celery, learn to cook, if you want to play tennis, then dammit go outside and PLAY TENNIS!

I cant speak for the rest of the world, but Americans sure dont need another reason to sit on the couch instead of going outside and actually doing stuff.

Games used to be a way to simulate things we couldnt do, now we're making games that simulate what we should/could be doing. Yeah its an oversimplification, so sue me. [/rant]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Rein says the 360 controller works(if it ain't broke, don't fix it). I say it works but it aint perfect. It's not perfect because the thumbsticks don't give you as much control as they could. Why? because they are small.

Why do FPS play better with a mouse? If a controller was perfect, it's thumbsticks should give you as much control as a mouse or more, but they don't. So how do you make a standard controller better?

Putting the mouse in the living room doesn't work because it's hard to use a mouse on your lap. You could take that extreamly small thumbstick and make it a foot long, turning it into a hand stick, and allow for much more control. By extending the radius from the rotational pivot point of the thumbstick, you create more control.

or, you could do what nintendo did.

Nintendo came up with a cool fix. They put the entire thumbstick in your hand and added x,y,z motion. So, even if you forget about the x,y,z motion thing for a moment, the rev remote should give you more contol when compared to a small thumbstick.

The rev remote is really just the right thumbstick on steroids. Any game that involves aiming or the usage of the right thumbstick should work fine or better.

I'm not sure if i'm making any sense but i don't think the rev is all about tennis and golf games. it's more about improving the analogue sticks by adding more analogue.

I'm one of the many who tend to use the thumbsticks as if they are digital, because of my herky jerky motions. either the stick is rotated to the max or in the neutral position. This problem exists because of smallness of the sticks.

OK, nevermind.

Inane_Dork said:
I think the guy at NoE that challenged Rein is gone now.

EDIT: Merrick, I think, was his name.

Yes I think so, but that is no reason to this.

expletive said:
Games used to be a way to simulate things we couldnt do, now we're making games that simulate what we should/could be doing. Yeah its an oversimplification, so sue me. [/rant]

That is a interesting question but it could have some pros againts the real thing like you can learn to cook anythingh without burn your house or a needing to clean, or "play tennis" by much cheaper and dont need to be really good as the game can help, do all of that in one day, learn to paint etc...

I am not saying that it can take the place of the real thing as it cant (and that is very good) but it is good we can do the basics of things without too much work.

Plus this games are just one part of it (and IMO it will be a big part outside todays gamers).

Titanio said:

FWIW I have used one and I wasn't sold on it.

pc999 said:
That is a interesting question but it could have some pros againts the real thing like you can learn to cook anythingh without burn your house or a needing to clean, or "play tennis" by much cheaper and dont need to be really good as the game can help, do all of that in one day, learn to paint etc...

I am not saying that it can take the place of the real thing as it cant (and that is very good) but it is good we can do the basics of things without too much work.

Plus this games are just one part of it (and IMO it will be a big part outside todays gamers).

Yeah i was just looking at it from a parent's standpoint and how easy it is for kids to become couch potatoes these days. I read a study that said kids in the USA watch 4-5 hours of TV a day. Thats absurd.

Honestly, i dont WANT video baseball to be more fun than the real thing for my kids. I want them to go outside and practice and learn how to hit, catch, exercise. I know i'm really exrtapolating here but its a real effort to make sure your kids have a balanced life. A game controller shouldnt make it more difficult but i cant help but feel as a society we're slowly replacing everything we enjoy with virtual versions...

expletive said:
Yeah i was just looking at it from a parent's standpoint and how easy it is for kids to become couch potatoes these days. I read a study that said kids in the USA watch 4-5 hours of TV a day. Thats absurd.

Honestly, i dont WANT video baseball to be more fun than the real thing for my kids. I want them to go outside and practice and learn how to hit, catch, exercise. I know i'm really exrtapolating here but its a real effort to make sure your kids have a balanced life. A game controller shouldnt make it more difficult but i cant help but feel as a society we're slowly replacing everything we enjoy with virtual versions...

I see what you're getting at but as a parent myself I think it's up to parents to just limit how much their kids play these things. If you only let them play for a short time they eventually get off their backsides and go outside.

I think it's also up to parents to consider whether 4-5 hours of sports is better then 4-5 hours of TV and Games. Id'e like to see a couple hours of reading and learning thrown into the mix.

ERP said:
ERP, have you tried Gyrations' Air Mouse (link)? I think it may work similar to the Revolution controller. Having tried using it in a FPS, it left a lot to be desired. As many suggested about the Revolution controller, it was very difficult to maintain an accurate focus.

Sis said:
ERP, have you tried Gyrations' Air Mouse (link)? I think it may work similar to the Revolution controller. Having tried using it in a FPS, it left a lot to be desired. As many suggested about the Revolution controller, it was very difficult to maintain an accurate focus.

Not only that, but I wonder how everything works if you have your plasma, or lcd tv, mounted to the wall, or in some peoples cases (I'm looking at expletive) a big ass projection screen (does my envy show :p )

Competely agree with winstonsmith1978 a good mix is the best thing.

ERP said:

For any reason in particular? An early version or final/near final one?

pc999 said:
Competely agree with winstonsmith1978 a good mix is the best thing.

For any reason in particular? An early version or final/near final one?

Obviously your mileage may vary.
I didn't feel like I had any subtle control of the analog stick because I was trying to support it and move it with the same hand. Part of that could be resolved with a larger base for the stick.
The wand was surprisingly accurate, but fatiguing to use, I couldn't imagine using it for an extended gaming session. But perhaps it's just a question of getting used to it.

It opens up the possibility of playing mouse type click games on a console.

Back