Oblivion pics

DigitalSoul said:
Haha......I think some of you guys are nitpicking the graphics way too much.
What do you talk about if not nitpicking? Every response would be 'it looks nice' or 'it doesn't look nice' with no discussion of why it looks nice or not, what good technical rendering methods are in effect, what is missing, etc.

I don't know why some people get upset over people discussing what they think about graphics! What's wrong with discussing whether the textures look like they're being filtered or not, especially on a 3D graphics forum?!

Dave Baumann said:
As ERP pointed out, PC devs tend to let the users select the level of AF, rather than explicitly coding for it.

They coded for the free Xenos AA, no? Why cant they code for 4X AF and clear those ugly texture blobs that struck the reviewers? 4X AF is almost free for DX9 GPU. Im not asking for the moon like 16X HQ AF which you could do with the superior PC version.

Shifty Geezer said:
I was just agreeing with the opinion that at a distance textures are pretty blurry.
Do you think otherwise?
I live in the valley, there are hills all around, I just watched them, they looked more blurry than this pic. You cant see sharp textures in distances even with direct sun hit. For everyone who claims that this is bad graphics they have some seriours bias on their own.

Shifty Geezer said:
I never said it was bad graphics, nor not approriate given the scale. I was just agreeing with the opinion that at a distance textures are pretty blurry. Lose the trees and you'd just see a pretty splodgy myopic ground!

Do you think otherwise?

Now if the review said it looks rubbish and is disappointed, I wouldn't be agreeing with that point. What I think of the trees, models, art style, yadayada, is not related to what I think of the texture filtering which is all I was commenting on.

I agree that they are blurry, if I were to describe it I would say "the medium range textures are quite blurry" to describe everything across the lake as "blobs of blue and green" is a huge exageration, huge!

scooby_dooby said:
I agree that they are blurry, if I were to describe it I would say "the medium range textures are quite blurry" to describe everything across the lake as "blobs of blue and green" is a huge exageration, huge!
Which is journalistic license. Journalists aren't really known for writing conservative text or moderation of opinions ;)

Well, of the dozens of reviews, not one characterized the GFX like this guy, so I think he's just a moron and shouldn't be let off by saying it's 'journalistic license' it's not it's a total misrepresentation of the actual game.

His 'preview' reads like a forum post on gamespot ... he doesn't even realize you can switch to 3rd part view by clickin the thumbstick, how clueless can you get?

A fella at VoodooExtreme made this for our enjoyment a few months back. :) Check out that lens flare!
cheetoshair.jpg

I still think the game looks pretty sweet. And I've preordered two copies for me and my sis. I'm greatly in need of a nice single player game with a monster-big, non-linear world.

The OXM review says the game has framerate issues in large outdoor areas on 360 so..get ready for the usual deluge of complaints.

They seem to be right. Take a look at the 4 days clip. Towards the end the framerate seems to dip quite a bit, but that might be exaggerated because of the capture software.

ILoveHilaryDuff said:
The OXM review says the game has framerate issues in large outdoor areas on 360 so..get ready for the usual deluge of complaints.

Well as long as it's not as bad as Morrowind I'm fine I swear that game got down to like 8fps at times. Of course that game was rigged together to run on xbox as an after thought just the fact that it ran on 64 MB of RAM was amazing. Of course once you got your char built up all crazy you needed a modded Xbox just to play it for more than 10 minutes without crashing.

FWIW, I watched the 1up show last week and there was a preview 'discussion' on it and they mention all the talk about framerate issues. The overall feeling was that any dips in framerate (i honestly dont recall if they even agreed there were ever 'framerate problems') did not impact the enjoyment of the game at all. Its worth a download and watch if you havent seen it yet (i subscribe via itunes).

c0_re said:
Well as long as it's not as bad as Morrowind I'm fine I swear that game got down to like 8fps at times. Of course that game was rigged together to run on xbox as an after thought just the fact that it ran on 64 MB of RAM was amazing. Of course once you got your char built up all crazy you needed a modded Xbox just to play it for more than 10 minutes without crashing.

If you're German, there is a much bigger problem, the translation:

22.03.06 - Die deutsche Übersetzung von The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Click Picture ist laut Gamestar.de schlecht geworden. Die Seite schreibt: 'Die Lokalisierung der Texte hat Entwickler Bethesda selbst übernommen - und dabei leider versagt'.

Die Texttafeln im Tutorial sind ein Mischmasch aus Deutsch und Englisch. Die Datumsanzeige zeigt zu Spielbeginn: '27th of Letzter Samen'. Auch später sollen immer mehr unsinnige Abkürzungen auftauchen: Ein schwacher Heiltrank heißt 'Schw. Tr. d. Le.en.-W.'

Weitere Ãœbersetzungsfehler:

- Drückt der rechten Bumper
- Wollt ihr den Zauber wechseln, drückt drücken
- To ready your weapon or fists. drücken:

Dazu kommen falsche Bezeichnungen für Gegenstände und Zaubersprüche; der erste Heilzauber nennt sich 'Feuerball', seine Beschreibung sagt '8 Pkt. an Selbst'. Beim Erklärungstext von 'Intelligenz' wird der Text zur 'Konstitution' eingeblendet. Ferner sind in den Dialogen beim Hauskauf teilweise die Preisangaben nicht richtig.

Die deutsche Version von The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Click Picture lässt sich nicht auf Englisch umschalten. Wer englische Originaltexte will, muss zum UK-Import greifen. Die Sprachausgabe ist dagegen in Ordnung: Die Sprecher sind professionell, die Dialoge einwandfrei übersetzt. Ebenso ist das deutsche Handbuch mit seinen 54 Farbseiten hervorragend.

Das 11 Minuten lange Video stellt die deutsche Special Edition von The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Click Picture vor und geht auch auf die Ãœbersetzung ein.

And even worse, you can't switch to the English texts.

http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc-spiele/rollenspiele/32322/index.html

Fredi

Back