Oblivion pics

czekon said:
:?: wtf is he talking about the same game??

I wouldn't be too surprised given past experience with Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind. Doesn't make it a bad game, it just means it is not the most polished graphically (especially when compared to some games further on the horizon like Gears of War).

for as massive a world:
(16 Square Miles + 200 Dungeons)

and immersive:
(Dynamic Soft Shadows For all objects and NPC's/creatures, Dynamic Water Effects, Dynamic Weather and Time, 9000+ Objects -All of which are movable, and react accordingly with the environment. Havok Engine 3.01 implemented, meaning objects have mass, weight, and react to one another accordingly)

as this game type is, I'd say the graphics are pretty danged nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
from that so called review above:

When I got outside, things got hairy. I could see across to the other side of a lake, but it was completely undetailed. Just big, formless blobs of blues and greens

http://www.planetxbox360.com/downloads/Elder%20Scrolls%20Oblivion/11422899673.jpg
wtf? Looks pretty damn good to me, and I definately wouldn't describe it as 'blobs of blue and green'...what an idiot.

those new pics looks great, for what oblivion is, how can you ask for much better than that? exploring that world is gonna be a blast.

scooby_dooby said:
http://www.planetxbox360.com/downloads/Elder%20Scrolls%20Oblivion/11422899673.jpg
wtf? Looks pretty damn good to me, and I definately wouldn't describe it as 'blobs of blue and green'...what an idiot.

those new pics looks great, for what oblivion is, how can you ask for much better than that? exploring that world is gonna be a blast.
That shot does look pretty blurry/nasty on the other side of the lake. Not saying the game looks bad or anything, but I can see what he means.
_phil_ said:
Damn good example of bad/average art saved by Speedtree(TM)...
yeah qtf, if you took out those nice trees, that whole shot would look pretty iffy.

_phil_ said:
Damn good example of bad/average art saved by Speedtree(TM)...
Which is the converse of PGR, nice art and good rendering ruined by SpeedTree!

Oblivion has managed to use that tech more effectively for sure.

scooby_dooby said:
from that so called review above:
At a distance I think I agree with the reviewer. At a distance it is a matter of blobs of green and blue because there's no texture detail. There's a lack of AF again. I guess that was his point.

Are these pics from the 360? They're not 720p. Do we know if they're downscaled or if they're using a smaller render buffer a la PGR?

No AF.
Not a launch title.
Not a Console developer.

There is definitely something wrong with Xenos AF.

As ERP pointed out, PC devs tend to let the users select the level of AF, rather than explicitly coding for it.

Dave Baumann said:
As ERP pointed out, PC devs tend to let the users select the level of AF, rather than explicitly coding for it.

Users can't do\ arent used to doing that in console though...

The katana has a very good edge to it but the "chainmail" on the hands is poor though, not at all like chainmail looks like. Also does anyone know why the rear edge of the blade is tinted red ? Oh and why are there cristmas decorations at the door on the lower right? :LOL:

As for AF check the wall running away from the player right above the katana. The vault on the right also looks rather blurry and stretched. Though the immersion in the game may very well be enough to keep you from noticing it when playing, after I played Daggerfall for an hour or so I didn't pay much attention to the poor graphics.

EDIT: Missed a word.

Shifty Geezer said:
At a distance I think I agree with the reviewer. At a distance it is a matter of blobs of green and blue because there's no texture detail. There's a lack of AF again. I guess that was his point.

Are these pics from the 360? They're not 720p. Do we know if they're downscaled or if they're using a smaller render buffer a la PGR?

oh come on, it looks great. It's 16 square miles, you can WALK to that mountain! This is no backdrop, it's an entire world, I can't believe people can bitch about this. morrowind had fog everywhere, 20 feet in front of you and people complain about this.
Morrowind: http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2002/pc/reviews/morrowind/morrowind_screen001.jpg

Name me one game of this size, coming out this year that looks this good, just one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha......I think some of you guys are nitpicking the graphics way too much. The graphics do look really good. All the little things you guys are pointing out are probably going to be a non-issue with most gamers( I doubt most gamers are going to be complaining about the anisotropic filtering, thats if most of them even know what the hell that is). The game looks pretty good, imo.

scooby_dooby said:
oh come on, it looks great. It's 16 square miles, you can WALK to that mountain! This is no backdrop, it's an entire world, I can't believe people can bitch about this.
Name me one game of this size, coming out this year that looks this good, just one.
I never said it was bad graphics, nor not approriate given the scale. I was just agreeing with the opinion that at a distance textures are pretty blurry. Lose the trees and you'd just see a pretty splodgy myopic ground!

Do you think otherwise?

Now if the review said it looks rubbish and is disappointed, I wouldn't be agreeing with that point. What I think of the trees, models, art style, yadayada, is not related to what I think of the texture filtering which is all I was commenting on.

Back