R580 tech demos

ChrisRay said:
No it doesnt work. I recieved 2 different errors on this demo. The 6800GT got a BSOD and the 7800GTX SLI setup got a hard reboot. I mean I havent seen this type of issue in years. Whatever it is. Nvidia will know about it beginning next week. I do think its a bit early to turn this into an issue about driver quality. All things considering.

Last time where BSODs and NVidia's drivers were common was when I had a Geforce 3, Win98SE, a VIA KT133 based mobo, and the 23.11 Dets (older Dets didn't have this problem). Migrating to Win2k fixed that, but that was the only legit time where it was really nasty. Driver stability (BSODs) has been rather good with NVidia though. Driver quality is another issue altogether though.

Last edited by a moderator:
chrisATI said:
The screen saver uses standard DirectX9 with SM3.0 pixel and vertex shaders. It doesn't use any vender specific features or back doors, so it should run on any SM3.0 capable hardware. I saw it running on a 7800 at one point (more than a month ago) but over the course of development, as the shaders became more complex, we started seeing blue screens on nVidia hardware. I think we may have hit a driver bug. If this is the case, it could start working with a new driver release.

--Chris
Cool.
Ever since I heard you guys got the toyshop running on the 7800 I've wanted to see more demos running on both platforms :D

radeonic2 said:
Cool.
Ever since I heard you guys got the toyshop running on the 7800 I've wanted to see more demos running on both platforms :D

Do you have a link to som "toyshop" X1900 and 7800 benshmarks?

ts10hv.png

ts27qm.png

(I know this is not exactly what you want to see, but you can at least imagine the performace difference)

fyi

I got a 6800 ultra (with my dell xps2 :) ) and I can run all four of the screen savers.

when I run the x1900 one.... I get a bunch of sushi errors, but it runs...... very slow..... like < 5 fps....

the other 3 run fine and smoothly. I don't know what driver version i have.....

Back