R580 tech demos

Mesh and texture data certainly isn't a few thousand years old. I'm sure if you do the 3D scans and photographs yourself, you can use that data.

You can build the Parthenon in Civ4.

I really like the twist ATI has turned being agressive in this departement. When i bought nVidia cards this demos had a large impact in buying also, just because you know you will sit and play with them.

Knowing that ATI are doing the same i can just say KUDOS to them!

Xmas said:
Mesh and texture data certainly isn't a few thousand years old. I'm sure if you do the 3D scans and photographs yourself, you can use that data.
Ahhhh. Makes sense.

No demos yet. :???:

Will they launch them together with X1900XL? (Not likely) At CeBIT? But Fuad says no ATI in Hannover this year. :smile: So many questions. What to do with my expensive card...?? :LOL:

IbaneZ said:

Will they launch them together with X1900XL? (Not likely) At CeBIT? But Fuad says no ATI in Hannover this year. :smile: So many questions. What to do with my expensive card...?? :LOL:

Ati will likely be in Hannover, they will just not be at CeBIT.

IbaneZ said:

If you're really desperate, may I suggest frisbee? I've heard it can do wonders as a cooling solution. ;)

radeonic2 said:
I got a bluescreen with nv4disp listed at the cause :???:

The screen saver uses standard DirectX9 with SM3.0 pixel and vertex shaders. It doesn't use any vender specific features or back doors, so it should run on any SM3.0 capable hardware. I saw it running on a 7800 at one point (more than a month ago) but over the course of development, as the shaders became more complex, we started seeing blue screens on nVidia hardware. I think we may have hit a driver bug. If this is the case, it could start working with a new driver release.

--Chris

Looks purty, if a trifle slow, on my x1800xlaiw. :smile:

I hit a little oddity unrelated to the screen saver and sent it in thru the ati trouble ticket facility. My second adapter in CCC (which is the vga dongle from my aiw running a second monitor), when selected, does not update the clocks and temp on the ATI Overdrive menu. As I had CCC running in the second monitor to check what kind of temp load the screen saver put on the gpu, I was startled when nothing at all changed (including the clocks, even tho I have selected the ability to use higher clocks in 3D) on that screen when I fired up the screen saver in "preview" mode. Anywho, acted as expected when I realized I was on Adapter #2 and switched.

Personally i like the one that resembles a much improved Starfield. It isnt a screensaver i would run 24/7 though considering how much it stresses the card.

Last edited by a moderator:
radeonic2 said:
I got a bluescreen with nv4disp listed at the cause :???:

How does that get through WHQL testing?

You may want to try older drivers and see if it works... (What driver version are you using anyways?)

Deathlike2 said:
How does that get through WHQL testing?

You may want to try older drivers and see if it works... (What driver version are you using anyways?)

No it doesnt work. I recieved 2 different errors on this demo. The 6800GT got a BSOD and the 7800GTX SLI setup got a hard reboot. I mean I havent seen this type of issue in years. Whatever it is. Nvidia will know about it beginning next week. I do think its a bit early to turn this into an issue about driver quality. All things considering.

Back