Opera goes DS

Shifty Geezer said:
What does that do (don't use Opera and I'm not going to install it just to find out! :p)?
It switches to "Small screen view". Which means the whole page is displayed 200 or so pixels wide. You need to scroll a lot, but only vertically. Not that important for DS, though. (On PC, this is useful for developers to check usability on small screens)
Adjustable magnification is a given with Opera.

additional images of DS browser

h-103_48745_bura2.jpg.jpg

h-103_48745_bura4.jpg.jpg

nin40.jpg

I must admit, I am very impressed with the overall look. not going to get excited though. I learned my lesson when I got really pumped for the Planetweb 3.0 Dreamcast browser which had flash 4.0 and pJava and was said to have a real instant messenger. that turned out to be almost trash.

but I do trust Opera can do a far better job than Planetweb, even on weaker hardware (than Dreamcast) with far less memory.

now I am starting to think of what should be in DS's successor. at least 40 MB memory if not more. maybe half as much as Revolution (44~52 MB)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the other day I was thinking how cool it would be if Opera would release a browser for the DS, considering their experience with creating mobile browsers. And now they make this announcement. Awesome. I can't wait for it to be released.

RAM expansion for DS announced, specially for the browser

http://www.tinyurl.com/7zbwr (Computer & Videogames)

Its web browsing software will be provided courtesy of Opera, enabling users to surf the 'net using both screens via the Nintendo Wi-fi Connection service. The software will be sold on a DS cart for 3,800 Yen, roughly equating to 19 GBP. Interestingly though, and not mentioned in the initial press release, it seems that a DS RAM expansion card will also be bundled into the pack, which slots into the GBA port for a more pleasurable browsing experience.

Interview with Opera's Executive Vice President of Devices, Scott Hedrick

http://www.armchairempire.com/Interviews/opera-nintendo-ds-browser.htm

Juciy Parts said:
Nintendo came to Opera and requested that Opera work with them to port and optimize our browser for the DS.

Nintendo is still deciding on its global launch plans. Of course Opera would like to see this browser solution for DS available to people everywhere.

The version of Opera we have been working with Nintendo on for the DS can surf the full Internet, but the initial version does not include Flash support.

Opera for DS has two display modes: Fit-to-width and DS mode. In fit-to-width mode, Opera uses both screens for scrolling up or down a page with both screens completing the view. In DS mode, an overview of the Web page is displayed on the lower screen and a pink square can be moved around an area of the page.

Back