The first IHV to announce Vista-compliant hardware

Reverend

Banned
Compliant, that is, and not "compatible" (I'm quite inclined to associate "whatever that means" with the latter, at this stage).

Which company are you guessing? It probably isn't terribly important (all the usual big players will announce it before Vista becomes available anyway!) for 3D but it should spark some busy stock tradings.

PS. Can anyone tell me how "expensive" the 3D desktop part of Vista is/will be when it comes to silicon space? IHV personnels are welcomed to respond in a manner deemed acceptably not within any NDAs.

I would have to say Nvidia since they are going to be releasing a chip in the near future. I can't see either vendor releasing a chip that doesn't support Vista if Vista is suppose to ship at the end of this year. The product cycle is just too close IMO.

ATi offcourse,

At least, if you count "Can it run Aero Glass" as being vista compatible

l'inq

Some menus, especially the one where you configure things is significantly different but we didn’t have much trouble to find our way around. The machine had ATI Radeon 9600 / 9700 graphic and it played aero glass features just fine, including media player content.

WE MANAGED to see a rather interesting Microsoft document that recommends to people who want to show off Vista to use ATI over Nvidia. It says that: "ATI is preferred to Nvidia at this time due to superior driver support". It turns out that the real Vista Beta 2 is still a few weeks away and that the beta 2 we saw was the December build, a beta 2 but not the complete one.

The same Microsoft document recommends a comple of notebooks, the Acer Ferrari 3400, powered by ATI's Mobility Radeon 9700, the Acer Ferrari 4000 powered by ATI Mobility Radeon X700, HP Pavilion zd8230 powered by ATI Mobility Radeon X600 with 128MB of dedicated DDR, the former IBM Thinkpad T43 powered by ATI Mobility Radeon X300 64MB and Toshiba Tecra M4 the only one powered by Geforce 6 GO 6600/6200TC.

Microsoft also said that the Toshiba machine with Nvidia hardware won't run the Glass fancy interface. I am sure that Nvidia is working on it and ATI's X1000 Radeons are not on the list either. We know that X1000 generation gets its support in the final Beta 2 scheduled for February now.

There isn't going to be a clear-cut Beta 2. MS has changed its policy and is pushing CTP builds out instead. A good place to keep up with the latest MS trends and news (which I highly recommend) is Neowin.net.

What if it`s one of the underdogs that announces a Vista( I assume you mean DX10 by this) compliant card? Probably a low-profile one, highly unlikely for it to be a top-end contender, but still...it would be quite fun IMO:)

Reverend said:
Compliant, that is, and not "compatible" (I'm quite inclined to associate "whatever that means" with the latter, at this stage).

Which company are you guessing? It probably isn't terribly important (all the usual big players will announce it before Vista becomes available anyway!) for 3D but it should spark some busy stock tradings.

Sorry but I can not see anything new about this.

ATI und nVidia have already pages about this for some time:

http://www.ati.com/technology/windowsvista/index.html

http://www.nvidia.com/page/technology_vista_home.html

Reverend said:
PS. Can anyone tell me how "expensive" the 3D desktop part of Vista is/will be when it comes to silicon space? IHV personnels are welcomed to respond in a manner deemed acceptably not within any NDAs.

Anything the desktop needs are already there. There are no additional functions at all. The only new thing is hardware ClearType but this is something for WPF and not only for Vista. Anyway you can do it witch a pixelshader program if you don’t want to add native support.

Morgoth the Dark Enemy said:
What if it`s one of the underdogs that announces a Vista( I assume you mean DX10 by this) compliant card? Probably a low-profile one, highly unlikely for it to be a top-end contender, but still...it would be quite fun IMO:)

This is not possible as there is no such thing like a Direct3D 10 (not DX10) compliant card. You can only be compatible or not. If you are not Direct3D 10 will simply not work with this card. Because of this all developers that playing around with the Direct3D 10 beta have to use a very slow emulation.

even yesterday I didn't care much about this thread, but Now I have my reasons to be very keen to see who this actually will be.

I don't have exact knowledge and I have been unable to get anything waterproof, but I can still build my Jigsawpuzzle... Now I am just wating to see if someone turns the lights on and reveals if my parts are in correct places.

Back