Jan NPD hardware stolen from GAF

Xbox 360 Premium, Model: B4J-00002, Xbox 360 Core, Model B4K-00002. Dont ask me whats different, problably just updated firmware to solve issues, but they are just starting to ship out. Downside is no more free media controller (which was a limited run) in the premium boxes ):

SugarCoat said:
Xbox 360 Premium, Model: B4J-00002, Xbox 360 Core, Model B4K-00002. Dont ask me whats different, problably just updated firmware to solve issues, but they are just starting to ship out. Downside is no more free media controller (which was a limited run) in the premium boxes ):
Very interesting--I didn't realize this. Thanks for the information.

ninzel said:
People are slowly getting them week after week. It looks like MS is just being cautious, and trying to aritifically generate demand since it is so soft in the first place. I hear very little excitement from the average gamer.All the EB's I've been to confirm that preorder demand is very slow. The biggest one in my area has 5 preorders. Woopdeedoo.

Microsoft's main goal right now is to generate a large gamer-base, something that will give them a useful head start before the PS3 comes out. I find it hard to believe they would sacrifice such an important goal just to create an illusion of demand that may or may not have a noticeable impact on sales.

Moreover, the line-ups outside futureshops every morning before shipments come in, combined with the fact that they remain sold-out everywhere (except Asia) prove that the one store you know of with 5 preorders is either an outlier or a miscommunication and that the level of excitement is higher than "low".

SugarCoat said:

Maybe they fixed the dvd tray (scratch) problem too...

For a talk about PC Games, Moore spent a lot of time talking about Microsoft's Xbox 360 strategy and how it applies. He prefaced his talk by offering "public apologies" to anyone who's had difficulty getting a hold of the 360, and noted that production is quickly ramping up around the world. He stated that within 4-6 weeks "you should be able to walk into stores and find our hardware" anywhere the platform has been released.

So that's end of March? The gauntlet has been thrown!

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/687/687828p1.html

GB123 said:
But that would suggest that MS only made 250k system's available for the whole month.. (geezzz that ain't good)

Considering that last year's NDP numbers are way below what MS is reporting, I think it's safe to say that actual numbers are quite above that. Same goes for all other consoles, BTW.

SugarCoat said:
Xbox 360 Premium, Model: B4J-00002, Xbox 360 Core, Model B4K-00002. Dont ask me whats different, problably just updated firmware to solve issues, but they are just starting to ship out.
I'm thinking all the is different is the instruction manual. And I doubt they are different:

https://s.microsoft.com/products/in...3d929a4b-f13d-4f53-9401-a98f4575a675&type=ctg

B4J-00001: Microsoft® Xbox 360™ System Xbox 360 English,Spanish United States NTSC XBOX
B4J-00002: Microsoft® Xbox 360™ System Xbox 360 English,French Canada NTSC XBOX

Laa-Yosh said:
Considering that last year's NDP numbers are way below what MS is reporting, I think it's safe to say that actual numbers are quite above that. Same goes for all other consoles, BTW.
NPD was only off by just over 200k (entire NA), the disparity is probably caused by units in transit.

So, who wins 2006?

PS2 or 360?

This is a tough call. PS2 has some killer titles coming out, but at this point it may be preaching to the choir. 360 has some big titles coming out too, and demand is still high, though supply is absolutely atrocious. Counting against 360, though, is the likelihood that demand isn't going to stay anywhere near the levels it is now for the entire year. Especially not after E3 and PS3/Revolution release (also counts against PS2).

PSP vs. DS should be interesting too (in the U.S.).

Nicked said:
NPD was only off by just over 200k (entire NA), the disparity is probably caused by units in transit.

Could it also be that maybe their Walmart estimates were off? Walmart does not publish their sales figures do they?

No, NPD doesn't gather data on Wal*Mart, though their estimations are usually pretty pristine.

I think the theory that MS is reporting Pre-orders that they haven't been able to fill as sales is the best way to explain the numbers discrepancy.

Serenity Painted Death said:
So, who wins 2006?

PS2 or 360?
Sales? PS2 will probably "win". Couple it with a pricedrop and I could see it outselling 360+PS3+Rev, depending what the launches are like.

J_Saint said:
Could it also be that maybe their Walmart estimates were off? Walmart does not publish their sales figures do they?
Walmart no longer discloses their figures, infact, NPD only gets ~64% market data for games IIRC, but their extrapolation method would have to be fairly accurate for it to be referenced by almost every major company in the business at one point or another.

It wouldn't include free consoles (thats 10k just for every10mins) or replacements (higher than usual for launch consoles). But since thats the same for every system, its still an even playing field and the best representation we have of how a console is doing.

Serenity Painted Death said:
I think the theory that MS is reporting Pre-orders that they haven't been able to fill as sales is the best way to explain the numbers discrepancy.
No, they're consoles they've sold to retailers/replacements/promotions (giveaways), maybe even kiosks. They may have rounded up to the nearest 100k, but you can be sure that since it was in their earnings report its accurate.

ninzel said:
I'm not suprised the demand for the 360 is so low. I don't buy the supply issue excuse.
I haven't seen such a strong diverse gaming market in years. The Xbox still has alot of potential, the PS2 is still going strong with great software on the way, and we have two really good handhelds as well. The market is just too crowded. There's no reason to rush into a next gen system at this point when the current gen is still going so strong.

I was thinking the same thing. The average consumer probably looks at GT4 and PGR3 and the $200 price difference would outweigh any difference in graphics.

seismologist said:
I was thinking the same thing. The average consumer probably looks at GT4 and PGR3 and the $200 price difference would outweigh any difference in graphics.

I do agree here. Games like say Phantom Brave on PS3, will they cause the Sony loyalist enough graphical difference to ditch his trusty PS2 when that time comes? It is hard to say but that's a very good point.

ninzel said:
People are slowly getting them week after week. It looks like MS is just being cautious, and trying to aritifically generate demand since it is so soft in the first place. I hear very little excitement from the average gamer.All the EB's I've been to confirm that preorder demand is very slow. The biggest one in my area has 5 preorders. Woopdeedoo.

Why would anyone bother pre-ordering when stores are already backlogged? If I went to gamestop and pre-ordered an XBOX360, I'd just guarantee that a) they taked my money and b) I wouldn't get a unit probably until 6 months from now.

Your best chance to get a unit is to get lucky, or buy from Ebay/LikSang. Pre-order is a waste of time.

(and NO, I still don't have a unit, and I check every week) Oh, and online is worthless too. The minute any e-trailers get any units, all they do is sell ridiculous bundles like this:

premium bundle

or

this

Highway robbery.

dukmahsik said:
im not, ps2 is avail everywhere whereas 360 is still hard to come by
I'd expect a few other factors are at work here as well, including price and software availability. If one doesn't have a craving bordering on crazy levels for console racers, it might be hard to warrant a 360 purchase at the moment for a more casual player.

seismologist said:
Except that people who are buying the 360 are not the "average consumer" and i bet that all of the potential 360 buyers own a ps2(+an xbox and a GC).

Oh and the difference betweenn PGR3 and GT4 in graphics more than justify the 200$ price difference anyway.

When you'll be able to walk to any store and see a stack of 360s and you'll be able to order it online from every respectable online shop(with 1-2 day delivery) then we''ll be able to judge how "succesfull" the 360 is.

Even with shrtages 250k in January is not bad at all actually.

Back