Poll: pirated software and you

Do you have any pirated software installed?

• Yes, I have some installed right now

Votes: 74 71.8%
  • No I don't, but I have used pirated software in the past

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • No, and I never have

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
Mordenkainen said:
This is not directed at anyone in particular:

Discussing piracy is okay (even healthy), discussing why you do it or how valid you think your reasons may be is not. If you don't agree with the letter of the law write to your representative in your respective parliament asking to introduce a change in existing laws.

yay for consumer weakness... we are as united as the sand in sahara...

consumer influence vs corporate influence = david vs goliath

the only hope is that the market itself and the market logic will save the consumer, other than that = doom, and jail for 50% of the population in due time ;) as that is probably the percentage of on-line/off line pirates in some form in the west.

The vast majority of my software is purchased. Except Windows. I dislike Microsoft, so I'm not paying for Windows if I can avoid it. Most of my purchased software, then, is for games.

I'm in the fortunate position of getting a Windows license through my employer, so I can remain legal without that dirty feeling of having actually parted with my own hard cash for the "privilege".

God, looks like Im in the manority!

The only pirate software Ive even had was Doom3, which I downloaded AFTER I had pre-ordered it on Amazon. I was a bit pissed that I had spent extra to get it on day 1, then the bloody states had it released 2 weeks early. I still feel guilty about this!

I have payed the microsoft tax more times than I care to think about. This laptop came with XPhome, and I bought XP Pro retail. I own Office 97, 200, and XP. I own Visual Studio, and a seperate copy of Project and Visio. I also have a legit accedemic version of VB6 somewhere.

About no-cd hacked .exe files. I use these, but I own the game I have hacked. I dont think this is pirating. Its because Im a bit anal about keeping my CDs and DVDs in perfect condition, and hate removing them from the covers all the time.

Ali

Last time I pirated a piece of software was years ago and I think it was Nero (sorry Nero!) or some such thing (which I ended up purchasing later anyways). I guess I just don't use that much software, now that I think about it -- OS, disc burner, an assortment of free stuff (or stuff that came with hardware), and an occasional PC game (which I just buy -- I'd feel dirty pirating those).

About the only thing I DL that could be considered pirating is TV shows that I missed (Tivo has reduced my need for this though! -- only miss shows on channels I don't have =\ ).

Most of my stuff is OpenSource/free or bought. And I also have all MS stuff legally through my employer, otherwise I wouldn't have paid for that either. But I do have some downloaded stuff as well. I generally buy anything I use more than a few times, or have my employer buy it if it's too expensive.

Then again, there is no way any private person will be convicted for having illegal software here in Euroland, so many people download most/all of it.

Dell actually advertises their computers over here like this:

Dell xxx-xxx-xxx:

Intel xxx processor
xxx MB ram
xxx GB harddisk
DL DVD+-RW player/recorder
Legit version of Windows XP home included
4x USB 2.0

And as downloading media is actually legal, many internet providers advertise with: "And download all the music and movies you want at very high speed!"

I've bought all the games I've played all the way through/online. e.g. thankfully I haven't bought doom 3 or far cry because I had the common sense to get the pirated version and give it a go. I did play the mod "classic doom" for doom 3 all the way through though, but that was essentially the shareware version of doom 1 remade for doom 3 so I don't feel that I'm contradicting myself(highly encourage anyone who liked the original dooms to try this mod. It's what doom 3 *should* have been).

Last edited by a moderator:
can i ask, since both doom3 and farcry had demos, you felt compelled to download the entire game to try it out. i guess i can understand doom3, since the demo came out a bit late, but farcry had demos months before release.

see colon said:
can i ask, since both doom3 and farcry had demos, you felt compelled to download the entire game to try it out. i guess i can understand doom3, since the demo came out a bit late, but farcry had demos months before release.

Demos for d3 where released long after the original release and finding the whole game pirated is MUCH quicker and faster than downloading some demo from fileplanet or whatever(about 10-100 mbps compared with a mbps or so from like file planet). I didn't know about farcry until quite a bit after release.

see colon said:
Well, Far Cry's demo was trash compared to the final game imo.

I still have some, though I have been reducing it quite bit. Propably getting rid of last ones during spring. in Games I am already on originals and all stuff that I do for public release is done with legal programs.

Bought all the Software on my PC

I have purchased all the software that's installed on my PC from Windows XP over Office to Photoshop CS2 and Dreamweaver.

But it hasn't always been like that: Back when I was a student I pretty much "borrowed" all of the expensive software, but now that I have a job and can afford it, I buy it. And once you got your (first) licens, the price of an upgrade every 2-3 years is not an issue.

Back