God of War wins in D.I.C.E.

drpepper

Regular
God of war, Guitar Hero and Shadow of the Colossus were the big winners of the D.I.C.E. convention.

As predicted, Sony Computer Entertainment America's action game God of War, which was also named GameSpot's 2005 PlayStation 2 Game of the Year, won almost every category it was nominated in. Besides overall Game of the Year and Console Game of the Year, it also took home prizes for: Outstanding Achievement in Animation, Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition, Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design, Outstanding Character Performance: Male, and Action/Adventure Game of the Year.

IMO, I thougt Shodow of the Colossus would have won the Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition, I loved their soundtrack "Roar of the Earth".

We Love Katamari won children's game of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
These three exclusives go to show how Sony's first party devs helps the system, tying in with the other thread n the matter.

Shifty Geezer said:
These three exclusives go to show how Sony's first party devs helps the system, tying in with the other thread n the matter.

Agreed. It's frustrating to see people still arguing over the quality of Sony first party titles, after all the effort they made to produce and release immensely enjoyable and sometimes outstanding titles .

seismologist said:
I really need to play this.

You do, it's an amazing game, fun to play, not too easy, not too hard, great production, great soundtrack. Gorgeous game, i think it's the most beautiful game on PS2, technically. And even artistically i think it's as beautiful, if not more, than SOTC. Different styles obviously, but my god it's gorgeous. It just screams "Blockbuster" from every pixel.

I just played God of War again after finally recieving my component cable, and somehow it manages to look about twice as good from an IQ point of view than all my other progressive-enabled PS2 games. (on my 2405FPW there isn't even a comparison with the ones that don't support progressive) While I personally don't care much for this kind of gameplay it really is a great game, both technically and artistically.

After reading the article I have to say that except for "RPG of the year", those choices are pretty good.
Soul Calibur III
took best fighter, and I absolutely agree with that.
The same goes for Civilization IV as PC game of the year.

PeterT said:
After reading the article I have to say that except for "RPG of the year", those choices are pretty good.
Soul Calibur III
took best fighter, and I absolutely agree with that.

disclaimer': this is a rant.

disclamer": that requirement for an AIAS membership in order to get nominated is beyond lame - whom does it serve?

now, totally disregarding the fact that had RE4 participated it would've been a worthy contender in all the catergories GoW won, i don't understand one simple thing: how come soulcalibur3, which, starting from its very first version (soul blade) has been the one title to set the bar of animation in the genre, was not nominated in the best animatons cathergory? and in general, isn't the game nominated for best fighter supposed to have somewhat decent animations, to say the least, and eventually get in the animation nominations? or am i totally living on a different planet? before anybody gets the wrong impression, i do find the animations in GoW top notch, but technically speaking, the effort to do those and the effort to get all the fighting styles on all the characters in the soulcalibur series are just not comparable, IMHO.

With regards to animations, i guess you can say that it's a crowded category. A lot of games animate well. In particular SotC. Why? Cause your character reacts to the movement of the colossus. Compare that to the "canned" animation you get from sports genre. Even fighting genre (Mortal Kombat comes to mind) uses a lot of canned animations that the motions don't look fluid. Now personally I would pick SotC over GOW, but that's just me. The animations of the character, Agro (your horse) and the colossi were just superb.

I haven't played SCIII in any extended period of time so I can't make a useful comment on it. Though SCII didn't look as fluid as I would have liked. IMO of course. ;)

I'm starting to get sony now and kind of glad ps3 is coming a bit later. I'll have time to save and play all these great games.. Man, I've missed so much...

drpepper said:
With regards to animations, i guess you can say that it's a crowded category. A lot of games animate well. In particular SotC. Why? Cause your character reacts to the movement of the colossus. Compare that to the "canned" animation you get from sports genre. Even fighting genre (Mortal Kombat comes to mind) uses a lot of canned animations that the motions don't look fluid. Now personally I would pick SotC over GOW, but that's just me. The animations of the character, Agro (your horse) and the colossi were just superb.

I haven't played SCIII in any extended period of time so I can't make a useful comment on it. Though SCII didn't look as fluid as I would have liked. IMO of course. ;)

well, apparently the canned nature of the animations did not prevent GoW to get nominated, and subsequently, win in the animations category :rolleyes:

otherwise, i do find the motion in SC3 to be better than that in SC2 - at least the glitch with legs-to-torso incohesion, which occasionally led to weapon self penetration in the legs area, is not there anymore in the last version.

london-boy said:
Agreed. It's frustrating to see people still arguing over the quality of Sony first party titles, after all the effort they made to produce and release immensely enjoyable and sometimes outstanding titles .
Lets not take it out of context, in 2003, 2004 and 2005 sony 1st party won next to nothing. they did pick up a few for ratchet & clank, sly, & eyetoy but that's about it.

weaksauce said:
I'm starting to get Sony now and kind of glad PS3 is coming a bit later. I'll have time to save and play all these great games.. Man, I've missed so much...

I feel the same way, as I just picked up a PS2 for the first time, and played through God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, and Dragon Quest VIII. God of War is mindblowing incredible, and not surprised it winning all those awards. Most impressive game this generation on any system. Now having a great time playing through Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal.

drpepper said:
IMO, I thougt Shodow of the Colossus would have won the Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition, I loved their soundtrack "Roar of the Earth".

I also love the music in that game. It was that hauntingly beautiful music that made me buy the PS2 to play this game.

Sad, that Dragon Quest VIII did not win RPG of the year.

I love GoW, but the award has no meaning without RE4 in the mix.

That and F.E.A.R. didn't even win one award :(

Yah, it was a wierd technicality. I read Capcom didn't enter in to nominate RE4 and so wasn't considered as part of the nomination process. Wierd system.

Dr Evil said:
God of War deserves everything it got, but SC3 over Tekken5 is a disgrace to all things holy! Ironfist all the way baby!, imo.
Amen. Tekken ftw. :D
not taking anything away from SC3, its a great fighter, but im a tekken fanb at heart. lol

Back