R350 Info

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7582

According to the Inq., this is what to expect w/ the R350...

Memory: 750-800 MHz.
Core: 400 MHz.

The article goes on to say that they expect to beat the FX by some 10-30%, which seems extremely likely...unless the FX can pull a rabbit out of the ole hat.

So, with just a tad bit of o'clocking on the memory side of the house, we could be seeing amazing bandwidth potential. You would be looking at anywhere between 24-27 GB/sec, which is pretty darn kool :)

The funny thing about this article is the title...

"ATI's R350 to use almost antiquated DDR I memory type" <-- Who cares?

Typedef Enum said:
The funny thing about this article is the title...

"ATI's R350 to use almost antiquated DDR I memory type" <-- Who cares?

We haven't even seen one product (at least not graphic cards) with DDR-2 on the market and now DDR-I is antique ?

Yep, that is funny. And as you say, who cares when the final bandwidth is all anyone cares about (except perhaps for the people that's writing Nvidias PR documents).

Im curious if Ati will try to beat Nvidia in bot performance and price, when they release the r350. They should be able to cut costs down alot if they have a simpler cooling solution, cheaper memory, 10 layer vs 12 layer board. To those in the loop, how much cheaper can the r350 be given these know specs compared to the price of a fx ultra.

later,

from the overclocking numbers, the R300 appears to be fillrate limited, rather than bandwidth limited. I wonder if they even really need 800mhz ddr. I bet 650-700 would be optimal

Mulciber said:
from the overclocking numbers, the R300 appears to be fillrate limited, rather than bandwidth limited. I wonder if they even really need 800mhz ddr. I bet 650-700 would be optimal
of course, a higher core clock will increase the fillrate... I'm also curious as to what else ATI has done to the core, they've gone on record before saying that the R350 wasn't just going to be an overclocked R300.

epicstruggle said:
Im curious if Ati will try to beat Nvidia in bot performance and price, when they release the r350.

seems like the Inq is stating the price of the r350 could be as low as $250-300 (if i did my conversion right :D) at intro. anychance they could be correct.

later,

epicstruggle said:
seems like the Inq is stating the price of the r350 could be as low as $250-300 (if i did my conversion right :D) at intro. anychance they could be correct.
I am speculating there'll be a new card with 9700pro level performance in the $249-299US price range. Whether it'll be based on a non-pro r350 or a highly clocked rv350, I don't know.

WTH is DirectX 9.1?

PS/VS3.0 is likely to be dubbed 9.1 once hardware that is capbale of supporting it is available. I'm pretty sure that this will not be R350, and is more likely to be R400/NV40.

DaveBaumann said:
WTH is DirectX 9.1?

PS/VS3.0 is likely to be dubbed 9.1 once hardware that is capbale of supporting it is available. I'm pretty sure that this will not be R350, and is more likely to be R400/NV40.

which means that either nv35 will support ps/vs3.0 and it will compete with the r400, nvidia skips the nv35 altogether....or the more likely, nvidia will yet again be 6 months later than the competition in supporting the latest version of direct x. it seems that nvidia will really need to skip a product cycle in order to break this perpetual loop. if they stay in this "refresh" mindset, I dont see how they'll ever be competative again.

heh, that is, unless DX9.1 just happens to remain unreleased until next spring ;)

Another limitation of this memory is that even if it does work at 500MHz it still only uses a 128-bit memory interface that limits this card to 16 GB. Memory bandwidth – ye big fat pipe – allows a 310MHz clocked card to access 19GB because of its 256 bit memory interface

Is this just what they are saying, that ddrII cannot be used in 256bit memory interface ever, or that ATI's configuration wouldn't support a 256bit concurrent with DDRII?

Sxotty said:
Another limitation of this memory is that even if it does work at 500MHz it still only uses a 128-bit memory interface that limits this card to 16 GB. Memory bandwidth – ye big fat pipe – allows a 310MHz clocked card to access 19GB because of its 256 bit memory interface

Is this just what they are saying, that ddrII cannot be used in 256bit memory interface ever, or that ATI's configuration wouldn't support a 256bit concurrent with DDRII?

ATI showcased an R9700 Pro with DDRII - IIRC in last November.

Back