Photorealistic Screens of MotoGP (X360)

It's just the missunderstanding that keeps living on, the debate was dead the moment they started pressing the final disks.

sonyps35 said:
Those look really nice.

Also on AF, I'm wondering if that darned tiling doesn't have something to do with it..

Myabe I'm crazy, but Filtering happens at the wrong end of the pipeline to be related to tiling. Tiling doesn't cause pixels to be reprocessed in any way. if the ROPs are outputting more samples/pixels than fit in eDRAM, then that's going to need tiling. But as said, wrong end there... It's hard to imagine how AF would be related to the tiling in any direct way.

Hardknock said:
Where's ihamoitc2005 at? lol He was complaining about the graphics and forks missing. :p

I am here my friend. I think I know why fork was missing for many bikes in other picture. It is because enemy bikes have most amazing technology. In this picture we can see how two right-side bikes have amazing chainless drive systems and also have no arms for wheel connection. Very amazing.

http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/3469/664_0003.jpg

I am only kidding my friend. The MOTOGP graphics is ok but like any graphics it has many mistakes. There is no need to be angry for someone saying there is something not correct. Everyone here says what they see is mistakes for many games and I also say this.

I do not mind so much missing forks and chains for enemy bike LOD but what is dissappointing for me is not so great background look. Too much bitmap objects and not enough bitmap objects.

scooby_dooby said:
speak of the devil,

what do you guys think of the texture filtering in the XBOX version?

the aspect ratio on the pics aren't right, I'm thinking it may have been doctored anyway xbox game aren't that clear even if it was a direct capture

Anisotropic Filtering on XBox 360

Does anybody of you know how fast the XBox 360 can read Textures from the 512 MB Main Memory? How much is the CPU, which uses the same memory, a limited factor?

I couldn't image there are so many XBox 360 developers who don't care about AF. I think AF one of the key elements to make a game look photorealistic or prerendered. I always turn activate 4XAF on my PC, long before I think about FSAA.

Or could it be that Xenon is much worse in this part than for Example a similiar fast Ati Radeon? Maybe they have removed some silicon which is responsible for fast AF, to get enough space for the 10 MB EDRam?

mckmas8808 said:
It looks much better than the X360 version. Why?
I dunno, just thought it was interesting. XBOX version seemed to have extremely good AF, the 360 version seems not to, was it a choice by developers? Will it be enabled late in the deevlopment cycle? Is this an indication of a true problem with AF on 360 given the fact these developers HAVE shown good use of AF in the past?

Like I said, interesting ;)

scooby_dooby said:
I dunno, just thought it was interesting. XBOX version seemed to have extremely good AF, the 360 version seems not to, was it a choice by developers? Will it be enabled late in the deevlopment cycle? Is this an indication of a true problem with AF on 360 given the fact these developers HAVE shown good use of AF in the past?

Like I said, interesting ;)

No seriously you just brought up one of the most interesting points that I've seen within the last 2 or 3 months. Can someone answer why the Xbox version has better AF?

Can you provide more detail on the graphical upgrades to MotoGP 06?

Jason Avent: We have a dedicated grass shader that draws blades and scatters them across grassy areas so now our fields and verges have more volume and the straight-line edges are much more blurred. Every material in the game is faithfully represented - rubber absorbs light but has a slight sheen, brushed aluminum even has the brush marks on it and carbon fiber weave reflects light differently depending on how you're looking at it.

Tracks - We have six layers of shader on most of our tracks. We have two or three base layers to create variety in the tarmac, then we have distress, like cracks and dirt, plus two layers for the racing line and another for braking skids and general laid rubber.

We used satellite images to map down our tracks; especially in the distance. Then, wherever there are green patches, a tree gets placed automatically. Using this method, combined with the fact that we now model much more of the distance, anywhere you stand on the track in the game, you get exactly the same view as you would if you were on the real track. It pretty much looks like we can draw to the horizon.

We have a light scattering algorithm that models the way light bounces off of particles in the atmosphere. Effectively, it's really clever fog but what it does is make stuff in the distance get lighter just like it does in real life. This massively improves your perception of depth in the game. It also makes things look a lot more realistic. Everything can shadow everything else in the game. So now, the rider casts a shadow on himself and the bike for example.

High Dynamic Range lighting - HDR - means that we can have VERY dark areas of the screen at the same time as VERY bright areas. So if you're in a tunnel looking out at a sky, it brightens right out just like it would in real life. This changes dynamically, so when you exit the tunnel, the lighting outside returns to normal. It sort of represents the way your iris works. The bikes and riders together are in excess of 40,000 polygons now. That's five or six times what they were in GP3 and then there are normal maps and up to 6 layers of shader on every material. We don't talk about textures and models any more, we now describe materials using shaders so every surface on the bike can look and shine differently.

Crowds- We're trying to solve a different problem with our tracks than most games. They tend to have about 5000 spectators around a track. We need to represent MotoGP races where hundreds of thousands of people turn up and our system allows us to do that. If you look at the hills in the real life Donnington track for example, there are people camping all over them. They're exactly like that in the game now. We do seas of spectators spread out over vast areas rather than just stands full of them large groups together.

http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/1603/MotoGP-06-Interview/p1/

Edit: I definitely think that there is something problematic with video cards which grabs 360 pics, in that process lots of details are lost, as example from pgr3 photomode; 1. is video card grab from 360, 2. is direct photo from hdtv
pgr15vm.jpg

pgr25mh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
PGR3 is such a great 360 showcase..

Sometimes when you get tired of all the discussing or reading about this hardware, you want to fire up a game to watch what all those awesome theoretical specs can actually do. PGR3 is a great game for that.

Maybe like DOA was for the original Xbox..I would say it's one of the great X360 "showcase" games.

3X 3.2 ghz CPU's sounds so nice and like it should be able to do so much..PGR3 is like on-screen confirmation.

Last edited by a moderator:
mckmas8808 said:
No seriously you just brought up one of the most interesting points that I've seen within the last 2 or 3 months. Can someone answer why the Xbox version has better AF?

The Xbox version doesn't have "better AF". It just has it ON, whereas the X360 version has it OFF. It's quite simple really.

The discussion about why exactly isn't AF being implemented on X360 games is in the Console Tech Forum. Not that anything is explained, AF on X360 should be a non-issue, so it's just a matter of developers not turning it on for some very strange reason.

It's beginning to get a bit tiresome to be constantly discussing AF/not AF in every 360 game thread.

Perhaps we could limit it to the AF thread proper?

motogp06_xbox360boxboxart_160w.jpg

IGN 8.4

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/712/712000p1.html

Closing Comments
MotoGP 06 is a high-definition port of MotoGP 3, tweaked for online play on the Xbox 360. Visually, the game looks stunning, especially in HD, and the sound of the bikes is authentic -- just ask Climax's sound engineer. The gameplay is still the heart and soul of this franchise, no matter how good it looks. Taking corners at break-neck speeds, always risking life and limb for just an extra tenth of a second off your time is exhilarating. Because of this challenge, the appeal of the game lasts much longer as you always strive for a personal best time. Combine that with trying to top your friends' best times and you have a racer that will keep you coming back for more months down the road. While we would have liked to see more personality of the GP circuit and a few more gamemodes than what we saw in the previous installment of the franchise, MotoGP 06 remains a very impressive title on the Xbox 360.

I think MG 06 with the right color adjustment comes pretty close of being photorealistic:

m12hd.jpg

m20sp.jpg

m36na.jpg

Photos taken (not by me) from a 17" inch crt monitor.

Back