Photorealistic Screens of MotoGP (X360)

Yes, excellent post Mintmaster.

Now I would not say photo-realistic at all when looking at the backgrounds, but the bikes and rider are certainly getting there. In reality, backgrounds are no where near as blurry. I hate those over done depth of field techniques. Bloom also looks just a tad too strong.

That PGR3 road looks real.

Thread Pruned

The thread is pruned from the uncalled for accusations and OT.

If someone want to discuss MotoGP graphics or gameplay, do it. If you want to discuss anything else, please abstain.

gamepower said:
You dont want critic,that is the problem.
If you want to critic MotoGP graphics, you can do it, in a construtive manner.

By explaining in a comprehensive post what are the things that you dislike about MotoGP graphics or screenshots.

You know that mocking a poster because he posted the available pictures of a game, or referring pejoratively to another game as an exemple, will only provoke uncalled for reactions. And therefore noise.

gp19ak.jpg

gp20em.jpg

gp45yf.jpg

gp35hn.jpg

Actually the third one does look nearly photorealistic to me. What I really like is the apparently very high poly count on the bikes. I tried hard to find any poly edges, but couldn't. If these are really the in-game models, then colour me impressed. Perhaps they have a really good LOD scheme, or they use higher order surfaces.

After looking again I think I found some polys on the rear tire in the second shot, but it was really hard. Kudos to the developers!

there's a demo on the marketplace

if you select the in game cinematic camera (similar to the angle of those pics) it looks very much like that.

Not AS smooth, but pretty danged nice nonetheless.

It would be nice to see non-downscaled screens with fewer compression artifacts. Does any site have those? (What I'm trying to do is seeing LOD differences in the bikes that are farther away. Not because I want to drag down the game, but just because the poly count seems so impressive ;))

Does anyone know how many racers are supported?

The first one is the only "gameplay" one. The other 2 are replays or something unless you play racing games were tha vehicle is going at you on the screen. Looks ok.

Bad_Boy said:
looks good no doubt, but photorealistic, nah.
Come on, what more do you want? I spent some time writing this post earlier, and they're pretty close if you ask me.

Ben-Nice said:
The first one is the only "gameplay" one. The other 2 are replays or something unless you play racing games were tha vehicle is going at you on the screen. Looks ok.
From your comments, maybe you should look at some real-life photos before saying these are just "ok". Even if they're not photorealistic, they're the the most realistic I've seen from any game to date. As for the "gameplay" shots, how often do you watch a bike race through a first person camera? I think the biggest reason "gameplay" shots don't look real is that you rarely see that camera angle on TV or in photos. The in-car cam that sometimes pops up on TV is usually low res and shaking a lot. Also, you can't really use DOF while racing because it interferes with gameplay. "replay" shots are better for comparing with what we see in photos.

To anyone that objects to DOF, it does add a lot of realism, and it's not overdone here. Take a look at my earlier post with the real-life comparison shots.

The only major criticisms I have is that they seemed to have increased the bloom over the nice and subtle effect they had before, and also there's no motion blur on the wheels. This was very evident in the trailer, and I don't think this would be hard to do for just the wheels with a simple vertex shader. A heat ripple effect from the tailpipe would be nice as well.

I sort of feel inclined to classify two 'types' of photorealism.

This game, in fact no game, is actually 100% photorealistic. You can still see that it's computer generated. Not even CG stuff in movies is that good yet.

But there is a certain sense where if you don't compare it, you could think that it's photorealistic.

GT4 also had this to a lesser extent. This kind of 'photorealism' is going to become more common over the next generation.

predicate said:

This game, in fact no game, is actually 100% photorealistic. You can still see that it's computer generated. Not even CG stuff in movies is that good yet.
I would coin the term 'photoaccurate' for true photorealism, and 'photorealism' for realistically lit and shaded graphics.

predicate said:

But there is a certain sense where if you don't compare it, you could think that it's photorealistic.

GT4 also had this to a lesser extent. This kind of 'photorealism' is going to become more common over the next generation.

Guess someone should make a scale of how photorealistic. 1-9 perhaps? 10 reserved to stifle arguments from those who simply hate the console the said game is on. I think it looks very nice. 8!

This game looks very good, that is an understatement. The game looks amazing. The texture detail on the bikes and riders is very sharp and the lighting is superb I am happy to see the amount of geometry being used in the game as it is an indication this is just the beginning with the 360. As mentioned before, the road textures can be done better, but the game has yet to be released so it may change.

They need to put this engine to use with a car racing game.

Like I mentioned in the Forza thread, realistic sim racers are at a disadvantage because the real world destinations are bland and have little sense of scale. And if you focus on accuracy/sim you cannot really over-emphasize the surroundings. This is why a game like PGR3, which chose locations with massive bridges and large sky scrapers, will look better.

Art is a huge part of graphics, as important as technology. And when your world assets are boring and bland (as most racetracks are), it is a handicap.

Acert93 said:
Like I mentioned in the Forza thread, realistic sim racers are at a disadvantage because the real world destinations are bland and have little sense of scale. And if you focus on accuracy/sim you cannot really over-emphasize the surroundings. This is why a game like PGR3, which chose locations with massive bridges and large sky scrapers, will look better.

Art is a huge part of graphics, as important as technology. And when your world assets are boring and bland (as most racetracks are), it is a handicap.

But that's your opinion.. Fans of realistic racing in realistic environments(what you call boring) don't agree with you.

Back