GeForce FX not so hot anymore ?

Bjorn

Veteran
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/workstation/page7.asp

This is a Quadro FX though but still. They were able to run it at 468/937 with just a "standard" cooler (well, not the by now famous dustbuster at least).

What is interesting
I’m getting solid performance with a GPU that never runs past 63C and enters into the “high fan speed mode.â€￾ This brings up the question of the headroom available to the NV30 GPU itself, and how much the GPU is being held back by memory bandwidth. There’s also the question about how an NV30 based card is going to perform in the future, when 3D applications start becoming shader limited rather than memory bandwidth limited. Why is it that I have a Quadro FX 2000 in a quiet system running incredibly stable without an FX Flow? Maybe I was lucky and got a golden sample or are we seeking some of the advantages of Quadro FX having longer development times? Time will tell.

Edit: better now ? :)

Bjorn said:
This is a Quadro FX though but still. They were able to run it at 468/937 with just a "standard" cooler (well, not the by now famous dustbuster at least).

I think that you give your own answer, its "only" running at 468 not 500, and 937 and not 1000. Its the "extreme" (over)clocking that requires "extreme" cooling.

IMHO of course.

K-

Kristof said:
Bjorn said:

I think that you give your own answer, its "only" running at 468 not 500, and 937 and not 1000. Its the "extreme" (over)clocking that requires "extreme" cooling.

IMHO of course.

K-

I know that it's not running at 500. This was more of a reference to this thread (maybe i should have put it there also :)):

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4109&start=20

Take this comment from WaltC f.e:

don't think that low-K would have helped them go from ~300MHz to 500MHz with normal cooling. It would have helped some, but not that much. 500MHz, obviously, became the new target after the 9700P shipped and nVidia had evaluated it. Enter Dustbuster, 12-layer pcb, etc. to handle the over voltage, etc. Early tests with the 400MHz card indicate there is even a tendency to over heat and clock throttle at 400MHz, in some cases. My estimate for the chip normally cooled and aspirated is ~300MHz (the "normal usage" clockspeed of the 5800 Ultra.)

Typedef Enum said:
Unfortunately, it doesn't help...Unless, of course, it will also solve the poor AA methods...the lack of bandwidth...

I agree with you. At least with regards to the "gamers" market. Don't know about the bandwidth but a 4X FSAA that imo is closer to their main competitors 2X FSAA then 4XFSAA isn't exactly anything to brag about.

But it seems to be a good card for the professional market which also seems to be what Nvidia is focusing on at the moment (take a look at their homepage and you'll see Quadro all over the place).

Bjorn said:
Typedef Enum said:
Unfortunately, it doesn't help...Unless, of course, it will also solve the poor AA methods...the lack of bandwidth...

I agree with you. At least with regards to the "gamers" market. Don't know about the bandwidth but a 4X FSAA that imo is closer to their main competitors 2X FSAA then 4XFSAA isn't exactly anything to brag about.

But it seems to be a good card for the professional market which also seems to be what Nvidia is focusing on at the moment (take a look at their homepage and you'll see Quadro all over the place).

nVidia better hope they can get the Quadro out to workstation class users. From initial benchmarks, it looks to be a real boon to that market, clearly better than anything else out today.

it would be quite sad if shipping yields at 450mhz would have been good enough for standard cooling and a 10 layer pcb.

I think a product like that wouldn't have met such a dismal reception. obviously it wouldn't be grand, but considering how much flak the fxflow got...it would have been a much better alternative

???

Sound good if it works as advertised.

But if the cooling is to weak isn´t there a chance of throttling too occur as soon it gets a heavy workload easier than the flowfx cooler?

Re: ???

RAnta said:
Sound good if it works as advertised.

But if the cooling is to weak isn´t there a chance of throttling too occur as soon it gets a heavy workload easier than the flowfx cooler?

Maybe, but they seemed to have no problems at firingsquad:

After 1 hour of complex DirectX8 shading, temperatures reached only 61-63 C with ambient temperature of 52C

Back