How are things on the homebrew front for DS?

hey69 said:
finally everythins is working. i paid somebody to flash my DS . Didnt wanted to buy again a super pass2 with the risk of receving another broken card...

wow everything works so cool . thanx apoc again for the nice explanation and all.
btw,: litle drawback is the baterylife is now much worse.
Do they already sell heavy duty baterys for DS?

If you use flashme the battery life is around 8 hours. If you use passme (1 or 2) the battery will last only 3-4 hours.

hey69 said:
finally everythins is working. i paid somebody to flash my DS . Didnt wanted to buy again a super pass2 with the risk of receving another broken card...

wow everything works so cool . thanx apoc again for the nice explanation and all.
btw,: litle drawback is the baterylife is now much worse.
Do they already sell heavy duty baterys for DS?

Is battery life always worse or just when using the supercard?
As for batteries, there's this http://www.planetgamecube.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=11095

well me too, my DS is flashed with flashme .
bizarre... maybe my batery almost end of life

hey69 said:
well me too, my DS is flashed with flashme .
bizarre... maybe my batery almost end of life

Don't put a nds game in the nds slot while using supercard. If you do it you'll get 2 hours less of battery time.

hey69, how difficult is flashing with PassME2? I mean, what do I have to program? Any ideas?

if you have a newer model DS, you need super pass2 + the programmer.

you need to tell the super pass2 wich original game you have in your super pass2 thats why you program it. (never got this fare, couldnt get the programmer recognise my superpass2, thats why i paid somebody who did it for me (flashing the DS) for a small fee)

when thats done, you can execute the NDS menu and NDS applications form the menu

flashing the DS itself afterwards is very easy. you just short a litle spot underneath the baterycover with a small iron thingy (paperclip for example) and you just execute a nds exe. (firmwar file in this case)

google, there is alot of info about this.

hey69 said:
if you have a newer model DS, you need super pass2 + the programmer.

you need to tell the super pass2 wich original game you have in your super pass2 thats why you program it. (never got this fare, couldnt get the programmer recognise my superpass2, thats why i paid somebody who did it for me (flashing the DS) for a small fee)

when thats done, you can execute the NDS menu and NDS applications form the menu

flashing the DS itself afterwards is very easy. you just short a litle spot underneath the baterycover with a small iron thingy (paperclip for example) and you just execute a nds exe. (firmwar file in this case)

google, there is alot of info about this.

Thnx a lot. Insta rep.

Iron Tiger said:
M3 Adapter to get you started. I got mine from Divineo, and they're now selling ones with a Passkey2 (which is required for running DS code through the GBA cart slot on a new firmware DS, a la Hot Rod Red). I don't have time to get links for all this stuff, but so far I've used Moonshell (MP3, OGG, etc. player), NDS2key (wireless keyboard emulator w/ wi-fi network sniffer), and DSLair (Dragon's Lair FMV port in development). There's a lot of other really cool stuff out there like NDS2Win, which is a wireless virtual mouse (more like a tablet or touchpad), that even displays screencaps of your PC desktop, SNESDS (SNES emulator), NESDS (NES emulator), SCUMMDS (Lucasarts adventure game engine emulator), Texas Instruments graphing calculator emulators, drawing apps, games, and much more out there.

Homebrew on the DS is awesome, and getting better. I just hope it won't get killed by the DS-Lite. I had to flash a new firmware to my DS to be able to DS stuff through my GBA slot without a Passkey, and they could easily remove the user flashability of the DS with a hardware revision, or at least make it much more difficult.

The firmware needs to be upgraded to save the WiFi settings, though I suppose they could lock most of it. (though don't you need to short circuit the system to flash the firmware anyway?)

BTW, links to any of those things? Last I looked, I could only find GBA homebrew really. Well, I saw the graphic calc and drawing apps and crap, but none of them really worked well, though they did work. You can also download WiFi demos.

Is it just me, or is Nintendo missing a giant opportunity here? They ought to make their own NES/SNES emulator for the DS and wifi enable it, then sell ROMs from a secure download site that users can buy for a nominal (not ludicrous) fee, download wirelessly to their DS on the go - preferably able to store a bunch of in on-cartridge flash memory - and play wherever they happen to be.

It'd be perfect for everybody.

Guden Oden said:
Is it just me, or is Nintendo missing a giant opportunity here? They ought to make their own NES/SNES emulator for the DS and wifi enable it, then sell ROMs from a secure download site that users can buy for a nominal (not ludicrous) fee, download wirelessly to their DS on the go - preferably able to store a bunch of in on-cartridge flash memory - and play wherever they happen to be.

It'd be perfect for everybody.

i agree wholeheartedly. if people will pay $.99 to hear the crap they play on the radio, i'm sure they'd pay as much as $2.99 to play their favorite SNES titles on the DS. And good gorillabiscuits, how many good SNES titles there are.

They've already announced this feature for teh Rev, but small and secksy as that thing is, it isn't portable, thus making it a lot less useful. One might argue, perhaps Nintendo doesn't want to limit sales of new DS titles by regurgitating the entire NES/SNES catalogs, but then again, wouldn't the backwards comp feature for Rev (which adds N64 and GC games as well) cannibalize sales for that machine? ;)

Guden Oden said:
They've already announced this feature for teh Rev, but small and secksy as that thing is, it isn't portable, thus making it a lot less useful. One might argue, perhaps Nintendo doesn't want to limit sales of new DS titles by regurgitating the entire NES/SNES catalogs, but then again, wouldn't the backwards comp feature for Rev (which adds N64 and GC games as well) cannibalize sales for that machine? ;)

Well, there were rumours about Nintendo offering its NES/SNES backlog for DS via the virtual console of Rev. Supposedly, the DS can communicate with the Rev. So you might be lucky.

Hm, that's an interesting rumor... Didn't hear that particular one! Still, it's still a long time until Rev is released - comparatively speaking anyway. Nintendo could have had emulation up and running ages ago on the DS. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2D bits of DS isn't too far away from the SNES on a hardware level, so emulation might actually be fairly trivial, I'm not sure. Hardest part to emu would likely be the sound DSP chips, though I guess a 33MHz ARM might be able to do it... Then there's the superFX thingy as well. Not sure how well that would run, maybe Nintendo would have to source-port FX games to use the 3D hardware of the DS instead of rasterizing in software through the FX. The DS doesn't have THAT much CPU muscle after all.

Guden Oden said:
Hm, that's an interesting rumor... Didn't hear that particular one! Still, it's still a long time until Rev is released - comparatively speaking anyway. Nintendo could have had emulation up and running ages ago on the DS. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2D bits of DS isn't too far away from the SNES on a hardware level, so emulation might actually be fairly trivial, I'm not sure. Hardest part to emu would likely be the sound DSP chips, though I guess a 33MHz ARM might be able to do it... Then there's the superFX thingy as well. Not sure how well that would run, maybe Nintendo would have to source-port FX games to use the 3D hardware of the DS instead of rasterizing in software through the FX. The DS doesn't have THAT much CPU muscle after all.

The DS has a fair amount of muscle. The GBA, with a homebrew emulator (so they had much less knowledge of the hardware than nintendo) was able to nearly perfectly emulate the snes minus sound and the special graphics chips. The DS has two cpus, its double clocked Arm7 should be able to handle the basic snes capabilities including sound, and the Arm9 could probably handle the special graphics chips.

Ah, right. I forgot the ARM7 was clocked twice as fast in the DS. Heh, yeah, I guess with that in mind it ought to work okay. Since the DS has at least the hardware sprite pushing power of the SNES as well as all the playfields and video modes, it doesn't have to emulate that stuff in software. I guess all that really remains is screen rez then... What is the DS's LCD rez? Almost all SNES games ran at 256*240, so this might possibly be a slight issue...

Also, what about homebrew on the DS Lite? People ought to have researched that by now, has Nintendo screwed around with the innards to ruin such possibilities?

Guden Oden said:
Also, what about homebrew on the DS Lite? People ought to have researched that by now, has Nintendo screwed around with the innards to ruin such possibilities?

Principally, it should be possible, because the DSLite has the same firmware as latest DS, so PassKey2 should probably work just fine. But they're very rare at the moment...

hupfinsgack said:
Principally, it should be possible, because the DSLite has the same firmware as latest DS, so PassKey2 should probably work just fine. But they're very rare at the moment...

Bah, I liked the old school way of flashing the firmware using a wifi connection.

Back