How are things on the homebrew front for DS?

Apoc said:
Passkey works only with the first ds firmwares, and passkey 2 works with all, but it needs to be programmed.

Is there any info on the net on which firmware Passkey works with? What do you mean by programming PassKey2? How do I find out which firmware my DS runs with?

hupfinsgack said:
Is there any info on the net on which firmware Passkey works with? What do you mean by programming PassKey2? How do I find out which firmware my DS runs with?

Power on your ds with a ds game plugged, go into pictochat, room A. Write some text and send it. Now eject the game and the ds will show you two color screen. The color will be different according to the firmware version. Just tell me the colour and I will tell you what do you need.

Apoc said:
Power on your ds with a ds game plugged, go into pictochat, room A. Write some text and send it. Now eject the game and the ds will show you two color screen. The color will be different according to the firmware version. Just tell me the colour and I will tell you what do you need.

light yellow

yup i had the same..

i already ordered 1 supercard and a paskey 2 . hope to sell the passkey of to somebody else after flashing my DS...

apoc thanx again bro for the info

Ok, I would like to get in on the homebrew action too (in particular I want run moonshell from my GBAMP). I also have the new firmware and need Passkey2 but I have been holding out buying it because I can't figure out exactly what is involved. From what I have read it seems like you need to put a special, corrupt save file specific to a game onto the game cartridge and then have the game plugged into the Passkey2 and the key in the DS game slot to be able to run DS executables from the GBA slot or flash the DS. Is this right? If so, how do I get the save onto the DS cart? Since I have a GBAMP already, is the Passkey2 the only bit of hardware I need? Anyway, anything anyone could do to clear up the confusion a bit would help. What I turned up from looking around online wasn't all that clear.

Goragoth said:
Ok, I would like to get in on the homebrew action too (in particular I want run moonshell from my GBAMP). I also have the new firmware and need Passkey2 but I have been holding out buying it because I can't figure out exactly what is involved. From what I have read it seems like you need to put a special, corrupt save file specific to a game onto the game cartridge and then have the game plugged into the Passkey2 and the key in the DS game slot to be able to run DS executables from the GBA slot or flash the DS. Is this right? If so, how do I get the save onto the DS cart? Since I have a GBAMP already, is the Passkey2 the only bit of hardware I need? Anyway, anything anyone could do to clear up the confusion a bit would help. What I turned up from looking around online wasn't all that clear.

I don't have a passkey 2, so i can't tell you how to use it. You can find some info here.

Goragoth said:

if the GBAMP is a flashdevice working on your DS , yes you only need the passkey2 to run executables/roms from your gba slot.
you flash your DS with the program FLASHME and after that you wont need anymore the passkey2

hey69 said:
if the GBAMP is a flashdevice working on your DS , yes you only need the passkey2 to run executables/roms from your gba slot.
you flash your DS with the program FLASHME and after that you wont need anymore the passkey2

He also need to update the gbamp firmware to make it "ds-aware".

so i received my supercard and my superpass2 . (now i have to find a printercable so i can upgrade this.... who keeps those old cables ... :p )

apoc a litle question , i downloaded some freeware demo's with .GBA extension to test the gba functuality. but when I insert my supercard, it doesnt do anything, no matter what file i put inside the compactflash.
(i patche it with the delivered super card software) do i have to create a directory or something like that? the gba mode button is greyed out on the DS main screen.
and the Cf_160.bin i'v put also on the card. its like my supercard is defect

snif :(

hey69 said:
so i received my supercard and my superpass2 . (now i have to find a printercable so i can upgrade this.... who keeps those old cables ... :p )

apoc a litle question , i downloaded some freeware demo's with .GBA extension to test the gba functuality. but when I insert my supercard, it doesnt do anything, no matter what file i put inside the compactflash.
(i patche it with the delivered super card software) do i have to create a directory or something like that? the gba mode button is greyed out on the DS main screen.
and the Cf_160.bin i'v put also on the card. its like my supercard is defect

snif :(

Do DS games work?

AHA i found the problem. i 'v put the supercard upside down in the DS whuahauha :)

well that works now ok at least. this evening a friend will give me his cable so i can patch the passme2 with a game i already have. so i can atleast patch the DS and start using DS software

hey69 said:
AHA i found the problem. i 'v put the supercard upside down in the DS whuahauha

well that works now ok at least. this evening a friend will give me his cable so i can patch the passme2 with a game i already have. so i can atleast patch the DS and start using DS software

:D :D :D :D

I'm glad it works.

now i cant get the programmer to work :( ... damn

the supepass software still gives error message. that i'm not connected, or the usb cable is ont set or the switch is down, but i did all that. even tryd on another pc...

edit: i took the cli command and played around with it in Dos under xp... it just doesnt see the programmer..
dang, superpass2 :/

Last edited by a moderator:
hey69 said:
now i cant get the programmer to work :( ... damn

the supepass software still gives error message. that i'm not connected, or the usb cable is ont set or the switch is down, but i did all that. even tryd on another pc...

edit: i took the cli command and played around with it in Dos under xp... it just doesnt see the programmer..
dang, superpass2 :/

I can't help you with it, I have a superpass1, and it doesn't need to be programmed.

finally everythins is working. i paid somebody to flash my DS . Didnt wanted to buy again a super pass2 with the risk of receving another broken card...

wow everything works so cool . thanx apoc again for the nice explanation and all.
btw,: litle drawback is the baterylife is now much worse.
Do they already sell heavy duty baterys for DS?

Back