360 individual console specific framerate fluctuations

I know in my home computer if my video card isn't getting enough power it will stutter badly in graphic intensive games. People who have problems might want to check their power supply.

Guden Oden said:
That's not true. I got the full game today; bought it 2nd hand off a guy in the Games store who wanted to get rid of it because it was too scary for him to play! :) Which means I'll prolly hate it too. :p I jumped several times during the short demo version.

Anyway, the framerate judders at the EXACT spot as in the demo. After the cop feels the cigarette smoke, just stand in the doorway into the room with the windows - don't go inside - and point the flashlight towards the leftmost side of the windows. The FPS clearly dips right there, depending on exactly where one is standing, it might be one dip or two distinctly separate ones close to each other as you pan back and forth.

Rendering performance seems to be more or less identical to me between retail version and the demo. I've not noticed any major differences anyway - the game usually runs at 30fps and sometimes even lower, like in this particular case.

Well I tried following your intructions exactly, and I witnessed no framerate drops or dips. I tried panning back and forth really fast and got nothing. I could take a video clip, but I don't think it's that serious. Just to be sure, is this the area you're talking about?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/hardknock/Picture1952.jpg

If so, maybe there is some credence to 360's differing in performance, or maybe the frame drop is so minor I'm not susceptible to it... I don't know.

does NFS MW choock on the FPS counter with you guden ?
the demo i downloaded has a very inconsistend framerate.. very choppy even sometimes..
some other friends claim that their game runs great. offcourse this can be perception and ones opinion.

does remind me of my cousin last week who was playing FABLE on pc , it barely run 10-15FPS .when i asked why he didnt turn down some gfx options to fasten it up , he looked at me like , why the heck should i do that.? it runs great he said... hahahha...

Guden Oden said:
That's not true. I got the full game today;

Woot, weird coincidence, I got it today too :)

I sent Kameo to a dude in a finnish gaming forum and he sent me Condemned.

I'll try to replicate the framerate issue once I get home, though it'll be late :(

hey69 said:
does NFS MW choock on the FPS counter with you guden ?
the demo i downloaded has a very inconsistend framerate.. very choppy even sometimes..
some other friends claim that their game runs great. offcourse this can be perception and ones opinion.

does remind me of my cousin last week who was playing FABLE on pc , it barely run 10-15FPS .when i asked why he didnt turn down some gfx options to fasten it up , he looked at me like , why the heck should i do that.? it runs great he said... hahahha...

Yes the NFS demo stutters for me aswell.

Hardknock said:
Well I tried following your intructions exactly, and I witnessed no framerate drops or dips. I tried panning back and forth really fast and got nothing. I could take a video clip, but I don't think it's that serious. Just to be sure, is this the area you're talking about?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/hardknock/Picture1952.jpg

If so, maybe there is some credence to 360's differing in performance, or maybe the frame drop is so minor I'm not susceptible to it... I don't know.
I woudln't call it minor by any means, but it makes sense that some people still wouldn't be susceptible to it. Condemned does run good for the most part and is a quality game in my opinion, but a few spots struggle like the one you took a picutre of above.

Same goes with the other games as well, persception varries. For instance I see people touting the CoD2 developers claims of being locked at 60fps even though it most certianly drops much lower on many occasions.

Last edited by a moderator:
A great example of this perception would be on PC games. FEAR was a good example, many people complained about the 'poor frame rate', their expectations where that it would run at 60fps+. Where as other expect below 20fps to be bad and anything else decent. It's all about perception.

Low quality memory chips. At boot time the 360 runs a few tests to see how fast they can run reliably and will let them run at that speed. Some go faster than others.

Shifty Geezer said:
Have you any evidence to support that?

This is kinda funny, most console games have dips in frame rate in certain area's its normally due to several things.

Poor optimization normally being the biggest one.

I don't know what the big deal is, you can't expect 1st generation games especially when they have been rushed to be perfect.

Maybe it has something to do with the heat of the chip, maybe if you try looking at this scene when the 360 is pretty much cold, GPU's will have trouble rendering scenes as they become hotter.

I have a theory LOL.

Im sure you are all aware of the way the unified shader array works.

ATI: But yeah on the shaders we have 48 of what we call the adaptive shader array. So in the past you’ve had to say well here’s where I’m going to use my pixel shaders, and here’s how I’m going to use my vertex shaders, but in this particular case the hardware actually figures it all out for you and determines what the most efficient way to do that is.

Could it be that there are small inconsistancies with the way the hardware determines how to do this.

It would explain why some people experience it and some don't.

Of course. *shrug*
Never thought of bookmarking that. The kind of things you pick up when visiting sites for something else.
In any case, if performance differs, and hardware doesn't, it has to be the quality of this hardware wouldn't you agree?

I don't get why there is any speculation of it being anything more than a matter of perception at all. Has anyone seen two 360s that run games differently?

I could just be imagining things, but I thought there was a discussion on framerate perception... must have been another thread.:oops:

mrdarko said:
could this be the cause of this problem?

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/13864415.htm

if the odd stick of slower memory slipped through, could the people that bought these(360's) be having frame rate issues?

Read all
For ex "That's why Microsoft chose not to ship any systems with the slow chips in them."

I think this is just in the eye of the beholder, iknow the spot in condemned we are talking about as others from NA also so its not a PAL thing either.

I guess that some people dont now what a slowdown is or notice it.

I'm not buying that either. I'd rather expect a console to crash or boot with a red RoL if there are memory issues...

It's probably just like overclocked said - a personal thing. Or maybe resolution / HD - SD differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
overclocked said:
Read all
For ex "That's why Microsoft chose not to ship any systems with the slow chips in them."
they would say that!:devilish:

overclocked said:
I think this is just in the eye of the beholder, iknow the spot in condemned we are talking about as others from NA also so its not a PAL thing either.

I guess that some people dont now what a slowdown is or notice it.

from what i have read about call of duty 2,opinions range from "runs smooth as silk" to "runs like crap!"
i don't think that can be put down to 2 peoples perception.

i just hope that when i pick-up a 360 in three weeks,most of the problems are sorted.

Back