Guerilla Marketing

Shifty Geezer said:
Hell, 50% of everyone who posts in the Console Games forum must by Sony plants the way they rave about SotC! And I have my suspicions about some of the so called devs too. Faf advertises SotC in his sig using a subliminal system.

I can assure you that any hyping of Shadow of the Colossus is genuine, you only need to view some movie clips from the game to see why everyone is raving about it. The movies at gametrailers.com are full of spoilers though. SotC is a game that you cannot afford to miss. Buy it now and thank us later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they actually like Shadow of the Collossus? It's got a 92 at gamerankings.
I haven't played it yet but ICO was brilliant (if you play it to the end).

If you want to spot viral marketers look for crappier generic looking games being hyped like "The Outfit".

There you go shifty, you have just exposed, some Sony plants :smile:
You jokingly mentioned SotC and boom, the defense mechanisms kick-in. I say we start a merry band and search out and find more of these, so-called, giantologist. It isn't the giantologist I worry about, its all of the HS plants we have around here, they...are...everywhere, there are even some jokers on this board pretending to be making the game!

I jest.

I agree with Shifty, there is no way to measure the metrics using this method, but by the same token, there is no way to measure your effectiveness throughg traditional advertising either.

It seem that using plants would actually be more effective because it would come from someone who is "respected" and with whom you have a dialog as opposed to some pretty picture in a mag, or a three-month old review.

To me, I think the problem for the posters would be consistency, you would have to build a rep that went beyond just guerilla, which means you would actually have to mention and possibly praise competing products so that it isn't so apparent that you work for them (guerilla).

Well the problem with it just seems to be the level of posts they want achieved before 'the bomb' is dropped. I mean c'mon, that's a lot of time! 50 different accounts five posts per hour? Damn! I hope that job pays well...

Anyway at Bleon and Seismologist: Guys Shifty is kidding. ;)

NucNavST3 said:
To me, I think the problem for the posters would be consistency, you would have to build a rep that went beyond just guerilla, which means you would actually have to mention and possibly praise competing products so that it isn't so apparent that you work for them (guerilla).

I agree with that stement as well. This reminds me of people that on occasion mention games for the xbox 360 (a console they obviously don't like or are interested in). making comments like "it looks ok" on one game, but by always throwing in "This proves to me that killzone 2 graphics are possible" or "you see how killzone 2 graphics could be done in realtime?" for the games that you'd have to be on crack for saying they don't look good (like gears of war). It's like the people that do this over and over again (in far too many topics) are just trying to drive that "message" home to people that killzone 2 video graphics are possible in realtime (even though they aren't imo).

I dunno, i always wondered about people like that.

Qroach said:
I agree with that stement as well. This reminds me of people that on occasion mention games for the xbox 360 (a console they obviously don't like or are interested in). making comments like "it looks ok" on one game, but by always throwing in "This proves to me that killzone 2 graphics are possible" or "you see how killzone 2 graphics could be done in realtime?" for the games that you'd have to be on crack for saying they don't look good (like gears of war). It's like the people that do this over and over again (in far too many topics) are just trying to drive that "message" home to people that killzone 2 video graphics are possible in realtime (even though they aren't imo).

I dunno, i always wondered about people like that.

Or even worse, the one s, that start a thread with the little 360 icon and just happen to choose the worst looking games in existence, for instance...maybe some Namco games...thats alright, it happens on sports forums as well. It generally only takes about three posts in a Cubs/White Sox forum before the requisite "you guys suck" gets spewed about. At least in here it takes about 7 or 8 posts in a 360/ATI thread before Cell and RSX seemingly dominate the thread and about 10-12 posts in a Cell/RSX thread before the RSX vs Xenos debate runs amock.

I can generally tell where a topic is going to go by looking at the poster, e.g. if one posts something about the 360 I know going in it won't be anything good about the system or MSFT, whereas, its the exact opposite if one posts about Sony or the PSn. That in no way means that I actually disagree with one, but I know going in, what to expect.

Then there are others like xbd (an unfortunate name choice, that was very well explained) that I think have a very fair and balanced attitude, even WITH a console preference. I don't mean to leave out many of the other very well-balanced individuals in here, those are the first two posters that came to mind.

NucNavST3 said:
Then there are others like xbd (an unfortunate name choice, that was very well explained) that I think have a very fair and balanced attitude, even WITH a console preference. I don't mean to leave out many of the other very well-balanced individuals in here, those are the first two posters that came to mind.

You've read my name explanation NucNav?? Wow man, I'm touched. :cry: :) Yeah I agree, it's an unfortunate name. Though I do favor PS, I'm thinking maybe of getting my name across all the forums I post in changed to 'OliveBranch' or something. I agree with you that it's certainly obvious when a thread is going to start out with a duplicitus post feigning 360 interest but goes quickly into wondering, "when are things going to get good?"

I say let the fans of a given console post news concerning that console, so at least the threads will have a constructive tone set to lead discussion. I see a lot of 360 threads started by what I would say are obvious Microsoft dislikers for the express purpose of bringing to light negative information. It happens on the other side of the fence as well sometimes of course. But I feel all news will eventually get posted anyway, so no need for 'thread combat.' One of the reasons I just avoid the games sub-forum completely, just seems everyone's trying to outmanouver everyone all the time with 'evidence' there.

xbdestroya said:
BTW, how much do these peope get paid??? Because that is a *big* time commitment just to lead up to some single product-oriented post. Seems insane.

I have 2 friends who set up a Men's Spa franchise and skin care product line last year. They were approached by a so called "Word of Mouth" or buzz generation company. For a one-day event (in a trade-show), they'd release life "bots" to the show floor for USD95,000. The online equivalent would probably cost similar (why charge cheaper when the market is still "young"), the posts/effect last longer, so my guess is they should pay like a normal marketing executive.

I would think most of these people probably "live" online already.

MrWibble said:
I wonder how effective this kind of stuff actually is, and how much of it is companies once again only half understanding this interweb thingy.

I won't bite.

Over-the-top posts get called out easily. What should work would be subtle and mild messages dropped here and there in different posts. But then again, your own marketing guy should be able to do that easily.

The worst down-side is when you're discovered for such a contract, then the whole thing may come back to bite your behind, especially when the proofs/posts are there for everyone to see. You can get "exposed" by site owners, disgruntled employees, or the very mole(s) you hire.

Might as well transfer the resources to your selected customers instead of artificial tricks like this.

EDIT: The better ways to do this would be hosted forum threads like the Guerilla developer forum interview; or real-life contributions like what the Ninja Theory folks did. I saw the hi-quality trailers in E3, read the knowledgeable developers' posts here, and _studied_ the Ninja Theory diary and man, my eyes were welled with tears by the time I'm done. I am in a series of startups for eons, so I can totally relate to their experiences.

I have already made up my mind to buy a copy of HS heck even if PS3 doesn't come out.

Here's the comic for the story...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/01/25

And the review they mentioned...

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/editorial/reviews/reviews.asp?pf_id=256461&intDeptTab=22

1/22/2006
AN EA GAMES MASTERPIECE!
Black is probably the most stunning EA game ever. The visuals are so stunning for the Xbox. Although I love playing online, Black should definitely be focused on an intense single player experience. Black is exactly what I've been looking for. Black #1 shooter of the year for Xbox.

Qroach said:
here's a perfect example of what i was talking about.
Any particular reason you choose to focus exclusively on PS3 posters? It's not as if we've not had plenty of nooblets appearing here gushing with overenthusiasm about the other nexgen platforms.

I guess it's just another example of your continuing infatuation with everything microsoft - something staunchly denied of course, but still obvious to everyone. You still believe as firmly in that bullshit Abrash report he wrote at the time of xbox launch where he described how 6.2GB/s was enough to fully max out the system? :LOL:

Any particular reason you choose to focus exclusively on PS3 posters? It's not as if we've not had plenty of nooblets appearing here gushing with overenthusiasm about the other nexgen platforms.

How am I targetting PS3 posters? As far as I know Rosman likes the the 360 from his posting history. Obviosuly you have a problem that its a PS3 game that I've seen many people do this with (and also the example I gave).

The point IS it's still an example of something that's been occuring in here for a very long time. it's this linking betweeen things that have no real connection that bothers me. It's typically driven by console preference, but not always. This is why so many topics go "off-topic" and have been closed.The only thing I noted in my example is that it's happened more often with PS3 fans as of late (mostly by low posting newbies at that). However it's very annoying to see anyone do it, regardless of their console preference. if you want to lump rosman in with PS3 posters that's your choice.

I guess it's just another example of your continuing infatuation with everything microsoft - something staunchly denied of course, but still obvious to everyone.

WTF are you talking about? since when do I have an infactuation with "everything" microsoft? I liked xbox, and think 360 is a decent system, so WHAT? I'm infactuatied with "everything" microsoft now? How about another wide sweeping generalization for the masses mister Guden? Simply put, I really don't need to explain myself to the likes of you, thanks.

You still believe as firmly in that bullshit Abrash report he wrote at the time of xbox launch where he described how 6.2GB/s was enough to fully max out the system?

I don't recall any article where abrash said you could fully max out the xbox with that amount of bandwidth. I also don't recall arguing about it. yeah he (abrash) extrpolated on what you could do before he had the final hardware to work with, so what's your point? Are you trying to prove something? Regardless of what was first posted by him, developers had access to many more articles writen by abrash on the xbox developer website that summed up what you could do with the hardware in a more realistic fasion.

I really don't see the point of you brining this up as It's no more trolling then what tema was doing. Thanks for your opinion but I don't need it.

Qroach said:
The only thing I noted in my example is that it's happened more often with PS3 fans as of late (mostly by low posting newbies at that).

Last year around and after E3, both Xbox and PS posters flooded this forum after Sony's and MS's PR war (Slideware + Killzone inspiration vs Major Nelson). That led to the temporary closure of this forum. PLEASE do not repeat last year's experience. I may not survive a second time. :(

New posters will continue to join this forum, and may ask "funny/fishy" questions. But let's not picture Guerill Marketing in forums bigger than it is. It is not-measurable so you can't produce good ROI for your marketing dollar. Also, I doubt Sony or MS needs to use it (because their problem most likely is not demand). I'd say they are one-off experiments by other entities that achieved little success.

Since this is more an industry site, I think it's mainly the media (looking for content ideas), savvy fans and the people under NDA here. I would be surprised if someone wants to start shenanigans here. The PS3 guys are just getting anxious as the launch draws closer.

patsu said:
Last year around and after E3, both Xbox and PS posters flooded this forum after Sony's and MS's PR war (Slideware + Killzone inspiration vs Major Nelson). That led to the temporary closure of this forum. PLEASE do not repeat last year's experience. I may not survive a second time. :(

Posters with low post counts will continue to join this forum, and may ask "funny/fishy" questions. But let's not picture Guerill Marketing in forums bigger than it is. It is not-measurable so you can't produce good ROI for your marketing dollar. Also, I doubt Sony or MS needs to use it (because their problem most likely is not demand). I'd say they are one-off experiments by other entities that achieved little success.

Since this is more an industry site, I think it's mainly the media (looking for content ideas), savvy fans and the people under NDA here. I would be surprised if someone wants to start shenanigans here. The PS3 guys are just getting anxious as the launch draws closer.

I totally agree with what you said. Also note that I',m not accusing anyone of being Guerilla marketer, but just that some of the posts i've seen people make in the past, made me wonder. I just think "some" newer users need to be watched to make sure they didn't join just for the sake of trolling or insighting a riot. this doesn't apply to all new users of course.

Back