Welp It's Official - SCEF president: PS3 launch details at E3

mckmas8808 said:
That's for EUROPE NOT JAPAN!!!

Please try and discuss things in a civil manner.

I for one believe they announce the release schedule for all territories at the same time. So this doesn't bode well for a Japan Spring launch. But we'll see. If they do plan on launching in the Spring, we should be hearing about a PS Festival pretty soon...

one said:
Don't worry even if it's buried, it's already set that Kutaragi is going to do a keynote speech at ISSCC 2006 on Feb 6 anyway :LOL:
wonder if we will get any new ps3 info out of that.....?

1.3 The future of computing for real-time entertainment 11:05

There are two elements in real-timeliness that a human being can intuitively sense. one is the continuity of motion that a human being can cognitively feel to be natural, and the other is response time between action and reastion. Corresponding, of the applications that have advaned the concpt of real-time computing is computer enterainment systems which originally started as computer games. Real-timeliness of computer entertainment system must be quick enough to match the speed of the response time of the player. Lack of both processing power and data-transfer rate in achieving this level of real-timeliness using general-purpose microprocessors have motivated the development of a new breed of more-powerful processors built on a new architecture.

in computer enterainment systems since th ehardware is normally fixed for several years, once its specifications are dtermined, there is an inclination to seek the most-advance technology within the future raodmap, typically that of three years ahead, and one generation ahead in semiconductor-fabrication processes for downsixing, as well as progessive integration of chips to reduce manufacturing costs, and to enable mass production. today, more than 40 million computer entertainment systems are shipped in a year, and are becoming a strong leading power in spearheading advancement in semiconductors technology and in creating demand.

In teh future of real-time computing, massive assembly of "parallel computing over the network" to execute vast amout of computation, and "Vision system"that recognixe the real world, in real-time, from vast number of sensors over the network, will lead the next era in real-time computing.

source- http://www.isscc.org/isscc/2006/ap/2006_AP_Final.pdf

So if they dont fully reveal PS3 until e3, is it even possible for a Spring launch?

I'm not entirely discounting the possibility, but one thing I've learned in years of following videogames is you ALWAYS bet the over on a delay. You pretty much never get the game sooner than you expect, or even on time.

What Sony has shown so far sure does not fit with a Spring launch. But I'm hoping for it, especially in the US.

Hardknock said:
I was refering to launch expectations. In every case PSP, DS and Xbox 360. We all got launch expectations for all major territories at the same time. Xbox 360 - simultaneous launch due in the Fall of 2005. DS - Launch in Japan and U.S. Fall of 2004, Europe Spring 2005. PSP - same timeframe as DS. Of course it's normal for pricing, specific date and other things to not be released until closer to each individual region's launch.
Are you just ignoring what people are telling you? PSP launch info was staggered, as has been every Sony console to date. PSP JP info was known in 2004. We didn't get PSP US launch into until last March IIRC. Yeah...around a month from the actual launch. All we knew before that was the period of year, not so much the details. The EU launch was announced until mid-Summer.

If you want to go on the past, there's no reason to expect Sony to announce launch details for the three territories right away. They well could do JP at the Feb show (which is still happening last I heard), US and/or EU launch details at E3. There's no precedent set for them announcing all at once, so you can let go of that notion. PEACE.

Titanio said:
Le sigh.

They have never done this.

Before stating things as fact, you might want to do a little research. This was during E3 2004, release schedule for all major territories was released at the same time. Found this with a quick google search:

http://www.ferrago.com/story/3562

The lucky blighters in Japan will be getting their paws on the PSP at the end of 2004, whilst North American and European gamers will have to wait until the Spring of 2005 for local launches. The following 99 firms have also pledged their support of the new device:

Le sigh.

MechanizedDeath said:
Are you just ignoring what people are telling you? PSP launch info was staggered, as has been every Sony console to date. PSP JP info was known in 2004. We didn't get PSP US launch into until last March IIRC. Yeah...around a month from the actual launch. All we knew before that was the period of year, not so much the details. The EU launch was announced until mid-Summer.

If you want to go on the past, there's no reason to expect Sony to announce launch details for the three territories right away. They well could do JP at the Feb show (which is still happening last I heard), US and/or EU launch details at E3. There's no precedent set for them announcing all at once, so you can let go of that notion. PEACE.

Le Sigh. Check my above post.

Also you must have missed this part of my post:

Of course it's normal for pricing, specific date and other things to not be released until closer to each individual region's launch.

:rolleyes:

Hardknock said:
Before stating things as fact, you might want to do a little research. This was during E3 2004, release schedule for all major territories was released at the same time. Found this with a quick google search:

http://www.ferrago.com/story/3562

Le sigh.
It's so great that Europeans got their PSP in Spring...wait a minute..
The PSP launch date wasn't announced until about a month before it's Japanese launch. For the US, I don't remember when the date was announced. While I doubt they are launching in the Spring anywhere, all you quote does is state what Sony planned. Technically, Sony announced a launch for Spring 2006 at E3, with the territory to be revealed.

Got to hand it to them- Sony's got MS completely blind in the dark, as to what they are going to do for all of 2006. MS will be scrambling to make that first X360 price cut and waging the full strength ad campaign- unsure if the hit should be sooner or later... :p

randycat99 said:
MS will be scrambling to make that first X360 price cut and waging the full strength ad campaign- unsure if the hit should be sooner or later... :p
Assuming MS needs a price cut when the PS3 releases.... :p

Maybe, maybe not, but I do recall some have posted here with the notion that this would be MS's "finishing move" as part of the strategy for launching early. That was what I was making reference to.

Maybe for Holiday 2006 they will drop the price of the Core SKU, but I doubt they'll do anything but price match the PS3 with the main SKU.

As for finishing moves, I don't see that anyone has them.

randycat99 said:
Maybe, maybe not, but I do recall some have posted here with the notion that this would be MS's "finishing move" as part of the strategy for launching early. That was what I was making reference to.
I understand your point: Sony's secrecy makes planning very difficult for MS and puts them in a reactive state. I was only sending the Razz back your way, based on my own hypothetical :smile: .

Honestly, I am starting to believe that Sony is taking a page out of Microsoft's book. Back in the early 2000's, Apple came out with OS X and Microsoft announced Long Horn for 2004. I was eagerly awaiting the release of Long Horn, so much so, that I ignored OS X because I knew that Long Horn would crush it. I'm a patient enough man to wait 2 years.

When 2004 came around there was no long horn. But it was announced again for 2006 but this time it would come out for sure right? so I can wait 2 years.

Sony might try doing the same thing to microsoft. say they are releasing in 6 months so consumers will wait. And then say that they will release it in another 6 months. That way they can cram more tech into PS3 or keep the same tech and Make it cheaper. Basically they can create an edge of 360 thats not just marketing.

This is probably not the proper thread for conspiracy theories though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inane_Dork said:
Maybe for Holiday 2006 they will drop the price of the Core SKU, but I doubt they'll do anything but price match the PS3 with the main SKU.

you expect the ps3 to be cheaper?

Personally I don't expect a price drop, just a bundle.

Belmontvedere said:
I'll go out on a limb and say, for summer 2006:
X360 premium $399
X360 core $250
PS3 (no HD) $399
Revolution $199

You forgot to include detail: "X360 premium (missing 100 GFlops, no BR) $399". :p

MS can do a lot of good right now. Right now they sell all they can, everyday building the install base while PS3 is nowhere in sight.

I also think PS3 will have manufactoring issues. Similar to X360 but worse because of untested technologies, mainly Blu Ray and Cell.

So even WHEN they launch, I think they will have like up to a year where they just have a trickle. So it's not so much when they launch, but that 360 is ramping production higher all the time. While PS3 will have to go through that curve.

Then a lot depends on if PS3 games have a large graphical edge..or dont. If they dont obviously it's much harder for Sony. MS will also then drop the price very aggressively. Combined with second gen software.

Daryl said:
MS can do a lot of good right now. Right now they sell all they can, everyday building the install base while PS3 is nowhere in sight.

I also think PS3 will have manufactoring issues. Similar to X360 but worse because of untested technologies, mainly Blu Ray and Cell.

Cell isn't untested - developers have been using it for ages as well as all the in-house lab tests. They have a design for a chip, a well understood fabrication process and simply have to start the manufacturing lines going. If you want untested look at the eDRAM block stuck onto Xenos, that was a 'this might work ' idea MS had (you have to run 2 fabrication runs for it).

Blu Ray isn't untested - the principles of optical drives are well known. The issues that held Blu Ray up was developing a disk coating that could be applied in a uniform manner that didn't hurt the optical effects. TDK and Panasonic have done this and disks are already on the streets.

Back