I'm getting antsy with X360

the main reason is everyone (except maybe ballmer :smile: ) predicts the ps3 to be the biggest console this generation, thus companies are sticking there A-grade teams on developing for the ps3 (its where the bigger profits are), there are a few exceptions but in the main the highest priority is the ps3.
its similar to pc games vs mac/linux games though not quite as extreme

zed said:
the main reason is everyone (except maybe ballmer :smile: ) predicts the ps3 to be the biggest console this generation, thus companies are sticking there A-grade teams on developing for the ps3 (its where the bigger profits are), there are a few exceptions but in the main the highest priority is the ps3.

FUD. Is this Tommy Tellerico or what?

This whole a-grade team stuff is nonsense, maybe a few japanese developers are doing this, but there's no reason for western developers to not put their best teams on x360 at this point in time.

Sony is just better at creating hype, show very juicy trailers and keep all bad screens under lockdown, only release the good stuff, so they create a much better image for their console.

Once real games start coming out then they won't have the luxury of that, and we'll get to see both the good and the bad on PS3, instead of just the good that sony decides to leak.

Like Mckmass said, there's GOW, MAss Effect, Too Human, all awesome, there's just so much crap floating around these wicked games hardly get noticed.

scooby_dooby said:
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter March, 07 2006

The Outfit March, 13 2006

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat March, 14 2006
holy cow! :oops:

3 top notch, fun, online shooters.

Xbox Live is gonna be rockin' after this.

I hope Call of Duty still has online gamers after these are released.

these 3 games alone could keep most people busy (online) for a year, easy.

maximum said:
CoD2 was very high res but represented the best of "this gen" graphics. - As for this I totally disagree with (or you just may need a new tv). Playing this on a 60" SXRD really shows how good this game looks.
I'm pretty sure he means the lack of anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing keep the game from looking "next gen" opposed to games like Condemned which has both in spades.

Hey I play my games on a 106" DLP projector from 12 feet away at 720P. I can see everything! :cool:

Mass effect and Too human have great storylines etc which are right up my alley in terms of sci fi interest and human conflict. But I dont find the graphics to be particularly engaging.

Maybe what i really want is something that looks "beyond PC."

Just have patience, the games are coming sooner or later.

valioso said:
the ps2 launch titles, did not look that much better than the late gen ps1 titles.
Now we're having the same issues.. some games do have that quality jump, not awasome or incredible..but some titles have a difference.. and other titles are just higher res
Most PS2 titles represented an enormous leap. When you were playing PS2 launch titles you didn't think "wow this doesn't look much better...".

It doesn't really matter though because come March X360 will have some great looking games, and thats only a 4-month wait.

seismologist said:
There's always the PS2 version. Sure there may not be fancy blood gushing effects but I'm sure that it plays the same.
And it looks fantastic for a PS2 title. The PS2/Xbox version are so much improved graphically with FNR3 that I think EA shot themselves a little bit because the "wow factor" is taken down a couple notches with the X360 version.

maximum said:
CoD2 was very high res but represented the best of "this gen" graphics. -

maybe "this gen" compared to high end PC, but far and away better than compared to "MY" this gen (which was Xbox1)

I agree that it is a placeholder for what is to come around the corner next gen. (X360 and PS3)

I think the improvement in PC graphics is as much to blame as anything. Prior to PS2, PCs were pretty rough in the 3D department and PS2 was very capable, so PS2 wasn't just better than PS1, but better than most things seen before (dunno about DC. Never made enough noise for me to notice it. Everyone knew about PCs and PS2 was loud and showcased itself). Nowadays PC developments have pushed the envelope such that they're much further ahead than the PS2 level tech in a way PC tech at PS2's launch wasn't. We're used to seeing screenshots of top-end $1000 systems showing normal mapped per-pixel lit high-res graphics. Even if most computers can't handle that level of performance, we're attuned to it now. I'm sure if you'd never seen any improvement between XB and now, you'd look at XB360 with fresh eyes and think it looks amazing.

Has anyone got screengrabs of PC games around 2000 for comparison with PS2 games from that period, just to see I'm not remembering wrong?!

Shifty Geezer said:
I think the improvement in PC graphics is as much to blame as anything. Prior to PS2, PCs were pretty rough in the 3D department and PS2 was very capable, so PS2 wasn't just better than PS1, but better than most things seen before (dunno about DC. Never made enough noise for me to notice it. Everyone knew about PCs and PS2 was loud and showcased itself). Nowadays PC developments have pushed the envelope such that they're much further ahead than the PS2 level tech in a way PC tech at PS2's launch wasn't. We're used to seeing screenshots of top-end $1000 systems showing normal mapped per-pixel lit high-res graphics. Even if most computers can't handle that level of performance, we're attuned to it now. I'm sure if you'd never seen any improvement between XB and now, you'd look at XB360 with fresh eyes and think it looks amazing.

Has anyone got screengrabs of PC games around 2000 for comparison with PS2 games from that period, just to see I'm not remembering wrong?!

That's seriously the smartest thing that I've heard about this whole graphics leap debate since... since forever. I'm gonna have to steal it. Thanks.

seismologist said:
There's always the PS2 version. Sure there may not be fancy blood gushing effects but I'm sure that it plays the same.

After playing the demo in HD for 3 weeks, there's no way I could go back to the xbox or ps2 versions, I wouldn't make myself suffer over a few hundred bucks :p

seismologist said:

I find it really hard to play my ps2 since I got an xbox360, but I suppose if you have never seen them maybe you won't miss it. I'm sure pong looks great to someone who never saw a TV before.

Shifty Geezer said:
Excellent point. And yet, ironically, the PC gaming industry is now on the decline, mostly at the hands of the console industry.

NB: I did not say the PC games industry is dead/dying/done for, just that it is in decline, so please don't flame me about that. The phenomena is very well documented.

AlphaWolf said:
I find it really hard to play my ps2 since I got an xbox360, but I suppose if you have never seen them maybe you won't miss it. I'm sure pong looks great to someone who never saw a TV before.

I've played almost all of the 360 games at demo stations and I haven't seen anything that justifies a $400 console + $10 premium on games.

Maybe Call of Duty 2 just because it's so awesome, but I already have that game.

Shifty Geezer said:

Wasn't Half Life and Deus Ex released around this time? I'm thinkin a comparison between these and Timesplitters might be a good measure.

I agree about the comparison to PC. Offcourse people don't think that the xbox360 titles look next gen since most of us are so damn used seeing all those ultra high res PC screens that the xbox360 games would have to look more or less like prerendered CG for them to make an impression on "next gen". There is no doubt that most xbox360 games are next gen compaired to xbox and definitely to PS2.

Another thing is that we compaire them to the xbox which is a very powerfull console with a short "lifetime" so no wonder that the jump to next gen does not feel so extraordinary. That does not mean that the games on the xbox360 will not look better in the future, they sure will, and that is another difference with the original xbox. The architectures are very different, where the xbox was extremely easy to get good performance from while the xbox360 will need much more time and tweaking before we can see the full potential of the console.

And personaly I think that the generational jumps will become less and less amazing even though the hardware is increasing with the same computational power jumps, just because we are getting to the point where a few million polys here and there will not be making much of a difference...

I don't agree, COD2 looks unimpressive because it IS unimpressive.

I've brought friends over and showed them COD2, their comments "doesn't look much better than the old one" in reference to the old XBOX. And these guys haven't played a PC game in years, if ever.

COD2 simply is not a big jump over XBOX, and compared to FarCry or SC3, it's even worse in some cases (textures, character models, lighting)

It's a great game, but the fact is these games really aren't that big of a jump forward, only Kameo can you really look at and say 'wow that's impressive', and now FN3.

You can certainly see it coming though, the Blue Dragon clip all rendered in realtime was simply amazing and just a tase of things to come.

I don't thnk this generational leap will be any less than before, it will just take longer for developers to make that jump. Maybe because it costs so much more...

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
I don't agree, COD2 looks unimpressive because it IS unimpressive.

I've brought friends over and showed them COD2, their comments "doesn't look much better than the old one" in reference to the old XBOX. And these guys haven't played a PC game in years, if ever.

COD2 simply is not a big jump over XBOX, and compared to FarCry or SC3, it's even worse in some cases (textures, character models, lighting)

It's a great game, but the fact is these games really aren't that big of a jump forward, only Kameo can you really look at and say 'wow that's impressive', and now FN3.

You can certainly see it coming though, the Blue Dragon clip all rendered in realtime was simply amazing and just a tase of things to come.

I don't thnk this generational leap will be any less than before, it will just take longer for developers to make that jump. Maybe because it costs so much more...
If you're just talking about graphics and graphics alone, I could see why you have that POV. CoD2 did not blow me away in that department. But as an overall game experience, I thought it was absolutely fantastic. The sound is amazing, the effects are excellent (the smoke!), the framerate is a beautiful 60 fps; in short, everything about it made it totally immersive and one of the few games I ever play to completion and for all achievements. For comparison, I played King-Kong directly afterwards and almost vomited it was so bad. CoD2 was easily one of the best games I've played in a long while.

Back