I'm getting antsy with X360

blakjedi

Veteran
Theres nothing wrong per se... but as much as I enjoy the console, and what I have seen it do and know its only a matter of time... I am still put off by the fact that devs (even on delayed titles) are not wowing me. I know patience is a virtue but outside of Gears (which I have always thought looked PHENOMENAL) and Fight Night 3, I cannot think of a single game that I think looks awesome.

I think visually PGR3 was pretty good but natural environments (levels with trees etc) were fairly weak to me.

I think Kameo had beautiful hi res textures and awesome technique but I could still see the upgrade.

I think Condemned was completely next gen in terms of environments and lighting - NPC animations and texturing were pretty good.

Quake 4 - just sucks.

CoD2 was very high res but represented the best of "this gen" graphics.

NBA 2K6 had great graphics.

Madden had pretty good graphics.

DoA4 is very nice in terms of environment but the characters (minus the girl with the mask) ranged from appalling to OK. The water got me hooked though. Awesome water.

Colony wars - has fantastic graphics and gameplay

Anyway I say all this to ask what is holding the 360 back at this point? Is it familiarity with the H/W? is it programming skill? Is it that the best teams arent on the H/W..? I mean I'm at loss for why we have not seen stunning stuff yet.

OK my impatience rant is off now.

I surprised to see you say this blak. Now add to the fact that Splinter Cell: Double Agent has been pushed back to September, this hurts the spring (great looking Xbox 360 games) games being released.

I think the issue here is what people having been saying about the 360 launch titles in general, you just aren't seeing the same jump in graphics that we did going from PS1 to PS2 or PS1 to Dreamcast even.

Your frustration is the exact reason why I haven't even though about getting a 360 at this point in time. I don't think any of the games is worth dropping 400+ beans on a console and 60+ on 3rd party titles. Just my opinion.

You guys are right. I admit thats its not a big deal relatively... The only new games I've gotten from 360 since November are DoA4 and the FN3 demo. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people that will necessarily play through a game [over and over] just to get achievements (except Geometry Wars :p ). I just feel like this drought is going to be a very long one... at least a well done RPG could have had my interest until March or so cause I try to go on every quest...

Again just me being impatient is all and wanting to be wowed every month! LOL

EDIT: I didn't care as much with the almost year long drought for the PSP but it was never my main console for gaming...

Last edited by a moderator:
Synergy34 said:
I think the issue here is what people having been saying about the 360 launch titles in general, you just aren't seeing the same jump in graphics that we did going from PS1 to PS2 or PS1 to Dreamcast even.

Your frustration is the exact reason why I haven't even though about getting a 360 at this point in time. I don't think any of the games is worth dropping 400+ beans on a console and 60+ on 3rd party titles. Just my opinion.

the ps2 launch titles, did not look that much better than the late gen ps1 titles.
Now we're having the same issues.. some games do have that quality jump, not awasome or incredible..but some titles have a difference.. and other titles are just higher res

mckmas8808 said:
I surprised to see you say this blak. Now add to the fact that Splinter Cell: Double Agent has been pushed back to September, this hurts the spring (great looking Xbox 360 games) games being released.

OUCH! That really does hurt. Here's what we have comin in the next few months according to gamersreports:

Fight Night Round 3 February, 14 2006
Full Auto February, 14 2006
College Hoops 2K6 February, 21 2006
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter March, 07 2006
Blazing Angels: Squadrons Of WWII March, 07 2006
The Outfit March, 13 2006
Burnout Revenge March, 14 2006
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat March, 14 2006
Far Cry Predator March, 14 2006
Over G March, 14 2006
Timeshift March, 21 2006
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion March, 24 2006
Rumble Roses XX March, 28 2006
Moto GP 2006 March, 2006
Saints Row April, 03 2006
Topspin 2 April, 03 2006
Major League Baseball 2K6 April, 10 2006
Tomb Raider Legend April, 11 2006

There's a few good ones, but man I'm really looking forward to see what will be dropping this fall.

Pretty good list.

FN3 and BF3 top that list for me, follwoed by GrAW and Elder Scrolls.

Spring/Summertime is not the time for RPGS! ;)

The thing I notice about that list is the lack of Japanese support is really apparent.
Which is too bad because Japanese developers tend to bring the most unique games.

seismologist said:
The thing I notice about that list is the lack of Japanese support is really apparent.
Which is too bad because Japanese developers tend to bring the most unique games.

Dead Rising
Lost Planet
Chromehounds
Armored Core
Blu Dragon
N3

Are the most exciting japanese titles I see coming for sping/summer, though I'm sure we'll get one or 2 surprises at E3.

im getting antsy as well... i prob wont get one until summer or winter now... gears of wars looks good enough to almost buy the system tho

scooby_dooby said:
Dead Rising
Lost Planet
Chromehounds
Armored Core
Blu Dragon
N3

Are the most exciting japanese titles I see coming for sping/summer, though I'm sure we'll get one or 2 surprises at E3.

Yeah those look good. I would suggest selling your X360 for $800 like I did and wait until some of those games come out :)

Whats sometimes concerns me is that the devs that frequent and add to this board's discussion seem to be primarily focused on PS3 development - which is great in and of itself. However, they are so heavily NDA'ed we cant really get a good feel for the capabilities of the system other than the PS3 is more than adequate for their teams artist vision of their game.

Conversely, maybe one, maybe two folks are invested in x360 development (that I recall) and we dont really have any idea what they're working on or even the hint that "The stuff that my company is working will change your mind about the capabilities of the x360" or something along that line. There's very little developer defense of either the capabilities/possibilities or a mind-blowing "whats in the works" for x360.

There are tons of potential reasons for this mind you... its just that it makes the system I have in my hands seem like its in a drought.

I dont know why my frustration is coming out today... maybe a little geometry wars or marble blast ultra will get me back in gear!

valioso said:
the ps2 launch titles, did not look that much better than the late gen ps1 titles.
Now we're having the same issues.. some games do have that quality jump, not awasome or incredible..but some titles have a difference.. and other titles are just higher res

this is about what was out at launch and the PS2 Madden looked way better than the PSone version. This isn't even debatable IMO

PSone Madden 01
madden2001_b2.jpg

PS2 Madden 01
madden_screen007.jpg

It's just the same cycle that occurs with every console release. The PS2 had it and the Xbox had it. Actually, the PS2 didn't have anything that really pushed the hardware really(or much of anything) until the summer after it's release.

CoD2 was very high res but represented the best of "this gen" graphics. - As for this I totally disagree with (or you just may need a new tv). Playing this on a 60" SXRD really shows how good this game looks.

As for DOA4, graphics are good but just not my type of game.

Fight Night looks fantastic.

I'm looking forward to Elder Scrolls 4, GRAW, and Gears of War.

seismologist said:
Yeah those look good. I would suggest selling your X360 for $800 like I did and wait until some of those games come out :)

Fight night comes out in 2 weeks! I think not!

Oblivion, The outfit, Battlefield 2, Ghost Recon 4 or 5 weeks after that, still have PD0 to finish & more DOA4 endings to unlock, so I'm all good ;)

blakjedi said:
Whats sometimes concerns me is that the devs that frequent and add to this board's discussion seem to be primarily focused on PS3 development - which is great in and of itself. However, they are so heavily NDA'ed we cant really get a good feel for the capabilities of the system other than the PS3 is more than adequate for their teams artist vision of their game.

Conversely, maybe one, maybe two folks are invested in x360 development (that I recall) and we dont really have any idea what they're working on or even the hint that "The stuff that my company is working will change your mind about the capabilities of the x360" or something along that line. There's very little developer defense of either the capabilities/possibilities or a mind-blowing "whats in the works" for x360.

There are tons of potential reasons for this mind you... its just that it makes the system I have in my hands seem like its in a drought.

I dont know why my frustration is coming out today... maybe a little geometry wars or marble blast ultra will get me back in gear!

I also think that the Xbox 360 has been treated unfairly. If games like Gears of War, Mass Effect, Splinter Cell: DA, Too Human, etc. (you know what I mean with these games) were shown more people would have a better feeling about what it could do.

We just don't see enough of those games in preview mode.

Back