LCD - good enough for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can and I did.
LCDs are across the board are better than CRTs.
Live with it.
The namecalling and the stupidty of your responses just show how much you know.

radeonic2 said:
Your assumption is untrue on both counts.
You cannot simply state that lcds are better than crts.
What you can do, is say you prefer lcds brightness and sharpness, but you can't just say lcds across the board is a better technology because it isn't.
It has some good things, but it has some negatives and for me the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

Well having higher res ya.. but simply having an lcd compared to crt isn't gonna turn you from a shitty gamer into a good one.
Besides.. gaming is where lcds show their major weakness.. pixel response time.
of course you can always argue you get used to it.. getting used to something bad, but I'd rather not get used to display anomalies.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I can and I did.
LCDs are across the board are better than CRTs.
Live with it.
The namecalling and the stupidty of your responses just show how much you know.
I am infinitely more video savy than you:rolleyes:
So let me get this straight.
For any test I can throw at an lcd and a crt, an lcd will always come on top?
Please :rolleyes:
That's really showing how much you know :rolleyes:

Fodder said:
Like blurring? Sorry, 'Natural AA'.
Oh give it a rest. :D
Or like the screen door effect:p
I'll give it a rest when he stops being stupid.
He's working in absolutes.. he's sith:oops: ;)

Your usage of those smilies and namecalling and the like just show a passionate bias over cheap technology that simply doesn't work.

radeonic2 said:
I am infinitely more video savy than you:rolleyes:
So let me get this straight.
For any test I can throw at an lcd and a crt, an lcd will always come on top?
Please :rolleyes:
That's really showing how much you know :rolleyes:

K.I.L.E.R said:
Your usage of those smilies and namecalling and the like just show a passionate bias over cheap technology that simply doesn't work.
Nothing wrong with liberal use of smiles :rolleyes:
Maybe you should tell dave that the limit of 5 smiles is too much :???:
I attacked specific problems with lcd technology whereas you just want to say crts are old junk that I like because I can't afford lcds.
What you fail to mention is that your mother got you your lcd, so it would seem you can't afford on either, and I could have gotten an lcd as well, but I felt my money was better spent on a cpu/mobo/gpu upgrade.
Neat how I can signicantly upgrade my computer with the money it takes to get what's considered to be a good lcd :D
So who do you think is more serious about the lcd/crt debate, someone who just generalizes (you) or someone who goes into specifics and admits that there are benefits to both technologys?

radeonic2 said:
So who do you think is more serious about the lcd/crt debate ...
I rest my case. No one is forcing you to use an LCD. All this angst will wipe ten years off your life!

Your opinion is wrong and my opinion is right.
You have the right to remain wrong.

http://www.geocities.com/p9019/lcd/lcd_controllers.html
http://resource.renesas.com/lib/eng/edge/11/products.html
http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/ren/ren132.html
http://www.commsdesign.com/new_products/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=18400740
http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/ren/ren190.html
http://www.sharpsma.com/lcd/lcdguide/Integration/TFT_LCD_interface.php

radeonic2 said:
Nothing wrong with liberal use of smiles :rolleyes:
Maybe you should tell dave that the limit of 5 smiles is too much :???:
I attacked specific problems with lcd technology whereas you just want to say crts are old junk that I like because I can't afford lcds.
What you fail to mention is that your mother got you your lcd, so it would seem you can't afford on either, and I could have gotten an lcd as well, but I felt my money was better spent on a cpu/mobo/gpu upgrade.
Neat how I can signicantly upgrade my computer with the money it takes to get what's considered to be a good lcd :D
So who do you think is more serious about the lcd/crt debate, someone who just generalizes (you) or someone who goes into specifics and admits that there are benefits to both technologys?

EDIT:

He is trying to force me to use a CRT and I want to use my LCD.
I don't want to use a CRT.

Fodder said:
I rest my case. No one is forcing you to use an LCD. All this angst will wipe ten years off your life!

Fodder said:
I don't think angst is the word you're looking for :rolleyes:
If you think I'm stressed, you are very wrong.
Stress does take life away, but I'm not stressed at all.
Killer, what do those links have to do with the price of rice in china?
And an opinion by defination cannot be wrong.
http://m-w.com/dictionary/opinion
1 a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter b : APPROVAL, ESTEEM
2 a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge b : a generally held view
3 a : a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert b : the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based
What you mean to say is that you disagree with my opinion.
edit- I'm not trying to force you to do anything :rolleyes:
If by forcing you to buy a crt you mean pointing out the shortcomings of lcds, then you are correct, but I wouldn't be directly forcing you to buy an lcd.

Last edited by a moderator:
radeonic2 said:
I don't think angst is the word you're looking for :rolleyes:
Angst is exactly the word I'm looking for, and you should consider laying off the rolleyes as it just makes you look like a smarmy git. ;)

Fodder said:
Angst is exactly the word I'm looking for, and you should consider laying off the rolleyes as it just makes you look like a smarmy git. ;)
Please explain your usage of angst when it comes to me talking down lcd tech?
For me, angst is like those depressed w saying how they hate their parents and how life sucks.

A smarmy git you say?
Well ya.. that's what I'm going for :D
wait... I mean :rolleyes:

Angst; a feeling of anxiety, apprehension, or insecurity. You seem awfully worked up over something as inconsequential as Kruno's internet forum ramblings. Why does it matter what he thinks?

Fodder said:
Angst; a feeling of anxiety, apprehension, or insecurity. You seem awfully worked up over something as inconsequential as Kruno's internet forum ramblings. Why does it matter what he thinks?
I do not feel any anxiety :???:

I think you're mistaking angst with frustration with someone who has no place in a discussion about lcds and crts.
Everyone on the internet is a Psychologist :rolleyes:

Everyone on the Internet is a know it all, genius and can never be wrong. ;)

radeonic2 said:
I do not feel any anxiety :???:

I think you're mistaking angst with frustration with someone who has no place in a discussion about lcds and crts.
Everyone on the internet is a Psychologist :rolleyes:

randycat99 said:
Ironically, the same can be said of you when it comes to geometry distortion, sharpness, and "X-ray" emissions. :rolleyes: Double standards are not good for either side.
Actually the differences of distortion and sharpness on an LCD and a CRT are quite noticable and an LCD emits no radiation aside from your typical amount that any electronic device emits; as opposed to a CRT which is a freaking electron ray gun pointed at your face.

radeonic said:
How have I overstated the black level issues?
I have just said they're no where near crts and that's true.
Prove me wrong about lcds being no where near crts in contrast and I shall admit it.
That same sharpess you lcd fans like is the same sharpness that makes fsaa less effective ironically
Pixels not being absolute in crts I see as an advantage as it provides natural anti aliasing
And x-ray emissions is overhyped bullshit from lcd ******s.

I seem to recall our last argument over this, I brought up at least 10 reasons the LCD is better than the CRT and thus why it has been all but fazed out. You brought up oh, maybe three and decided to not repond anymore. So, would you like to take another stab at weighting the benefits between the two? You seem to be all about image quality, which is strange since the LCD has far better actual image quality. You are arguing over a couple minor issues; image blurring that doesn't really exist anymore, imperfect colors that really aren't noticable and likewise contrast that can only be seen on a black image. I don't get it. Are you really that big of a perfectionist whore? But even that doesn't make sense since the CRT suffers from blurring and geometry issues. There must be a real reason you are so hung up on the old CRT.

One other very nice thing about LCD monitors that I personally like is the fact you can get widescreen LCDs very easily now. Of course this has little relation to the LCD technology vs CRT technology debate, but it's just another nice factor.

radeonic2 said:
The only displays I would concieve of replacing my crt with would be an led backlit lcd or a SED display, and when they get under 300 usd.
And the led backlit lcds would still have the issue of forcing me to pick it's native res or suffer IQ issues.
That applies to SED as well. However I do not see how the ability to control every subpixel precisely and separately is a disadvantage. If anything, some scalers suck (and some LCDs, like some CRTs, have just too few pixels per area).

radeonic2 said:
Well either way lcds results in fsaa being less effective.. gamma correction.
You can't blame the monitor for the user being too lazy to adjust the color settings properly to suit that monitor.

I prefer LCD, the reason? I couldn't imagine having a 26" CRT on my desk. If you are not a pro FPS gamer or image/graphics professional, then LCD is just as good as CRT. I think it all comes down to size, weight, and price.

Guys lets not flame the subject.
Some prefer CRTs , some prefer LCDs.
Bottom line is that CRTS are overall better in games while LCDs need less space.
Everyone can choose what he likes.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Everyone on the Internet is a know it all, genius and can never be wrong. ;)
You're the one who thinks lcds are perfect:rolleyes:
HellasVagabond said:
Guys lets not flame the subject.
Some prefer CRTs , some prefer LCDs.
Bottom line is that CRTS are overall better in games while LCDs need less space.
Everyone can choose what he likes.
Not that simple.
ANova said:
Actually the differences of distortion and sharpness on an LCD and a CRT are quite noticable and an LCD emits no radiation aside from your typical amount that any electronic device emits; as opposed to a CRT which is a freaking electron ray gun pointed at your face.
If crts emit so much radiation how come in my many years of pc use nothing has happened to me?
Give it up :rolleyes:

I seem to recall our last argument over this, I brought up at least 10 reasons the LCD is better than the CRT and thus why it has been all but fazed out. You brought up oh, maybe three and decided to not repond anymore. So, would you like to take another stab at weighting the benefits between the two? You seem to be all about image quality, which is strange since the LCD has far better actual image quality. You are arguing over a couple minor issues; image blurring that doesn't really exist anymore, imperfect colors that really aren't noticable and likewise contrast that can only be seen on a black image. I don't get it. Are you really that big of a perfectionist whore? But even that doesn't make sense since the CRT suffers from blurring and geometry issues. There must be a real reason you are so hung up on the old CRT.
The problem with listing 10 or so reasons is that you give them all equal weight, I do not agree with that, it is a major flaw that is unexcuseable.
Image ghosting is an issue unless you like 6 bit colors or simply have gotten used to them.
Imperfect colors is easily noticed by me and same with the black level.
Anytime you watch a movie or a tv show(or play doom/quake hehe) I can easily tell the lack of blacks.
Perhaps I should fly to where you are and you can play various multimedia and games and I can tell you what's wrong with the image :D
Because I assure you that unless the souce material it's self is lacking in contrast, I can easily tell.
Crt doesn't suffer from blurring.
What are you talking about?
You mean because it's not quite as sharp it's "blurring"?
The word you're looking for is less sharp and I could care less since the sharpess you like I don't because while it may have slightly more detail it results in a jaggy image.
I'll take my slight geometry problems and bulk over the lack of resolution selection, the lack of deep blacks and t,he same sharpess you like(aliasing++)
Videophiles prefer crts btw.
While I may not have a 10K TV, I prefer the softness and blacks of the crt.
So you can see right there that while you prefer the pixel perfect lcds, I like the slight softness crts provide .
Xmas said:
That applies to SED as well. However I do not see how the ability to control every subpixel precisely and separately is a disadvantage. If anything, some scalers suck (and some LCDs, like some CRTs, have just too few pixels per area).

You can't blame the monitor for the user being too lazy to adjust the color settings properly to suit that monitor.

See above about subpixels.
Well actually I can because lcds themselves have imperfect gamma curves.
Crts are far better in this respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back