Sony reports strong third quarter; Playstation posts 52% rise in profits, TV sales up

nelg said:
So the high end Sony and Samsung LCDs are equivalent?

I think the Sony's have image-processing that gives them an edge (or so reviewers have claimed) but they do use the same panels, yeah.

sony has been knowned to use sammy panels so yeah i'd say are maybe on par... with better features on the sony imo as of now.

for best home theatre perf i'd still go plasma all the way.

dukmahsik said:
sony has been knowned to use sammy panels so yeah i'd say are maybe on par... with better features on the sony imo as of now.

for best home theatre perf i'd still go plasma all the way.

Well they may have sourced from Samsung (among others) in the past, but their present top-of-the-line panels come from the joint venture begun with Samsung by Kutaragi. So as much Sony's panels as they are Samsung's, going under the company name S-LCD. Sony's in fact looking to invest further in the operation to bring on a 25% increase in panel capacity.

nelg said:
So the high end Sony and Samsung LCDs are equivalent?
The plant where the LCD screens come from is a joint venture 7th Gen LCD plant by both Sony and Samsung, and what happens to the panels after the leave it is something else. So I wouldn't consider the LCD displaying quality the same , since the have their chips and circuits.

they just need to bring their prices down on the LCDs, they are too high compared to the competition, but since sales are up they can keep them higher

Is (or are?) S-LCD supplying the PSP screens too? How are they with dead-pixels these days? Is the joint feature relatively dead-pixel free is that still an area as problematic as ever?

dukmahsik said:
they just need to bring their prices down on the LCDs, they are too high compared to the competition, but since sales are up they can keep them higher
I think Sony's pricings are pretty good and keeps them competive without having to lose to much profit, but with these upcoming new models for the year, people should see another price drop in TVs (CRT, RPTV, Flat panels). :)

Shifty Geezer said:
Is (or are?) S-LCD supplying the PSP screens too? How are they with dead-pixels these days? Is the joint feature relatively dead-pixel free is that still an area as problematic as ever?

They were sourcing them from Sharp originally I believe - not sure if they're getting them from their own fab now or not. I'm under the impression that S-LCD is focused soley on large panels for TV's, so the PSP screens may still be being sourced externally.

xbdestroya said:
Well they may have sourced from Samsung (among others) in the past, but their present top-of-the-line panels come from the joint venture begun with Samsung by Kutaragi. So as much Sony's panels as they are Samsung's, going under the company name S-LCD. Sony's in fact looking to invest further in the operation to bring on a 25% increase in panel capacity.

Sony pushed Samsung to accelerate their production schedule of better panels. In addition, they had refinements for backlight and image processing that showed Samsung a thing or two, according to a WSJ article.

wco81 said:
Sony pushed Samsung to accelerate their production schedule of better panels. In addition, they had refinements for backlight and image processing that showed Samsung a thing or two, according to a WSJ article.

Yes I remember, I think you were the one to bring that up recently, yeah?

But I'm not talking about the joint-venture or any of it's cross-development, I'm just wondering whether Samsung was one of the companies from which Sony sourced their panels prior to the S-LCD venture. But maybe that's exactly what you were addressing, and I'm just confused. :)

they're gonna have a busy-and not to mention damn risky-few years ahead of them, but if Sony gets it right, they may finally start to shine again.

The champ is back! Hope this spells the end of their slump, and hopefully start to focus on the future...

Avon_Implosion said:
they're gonna have a busy-and not to mention damn risky-few years ahead of them, but if Sony gets it right, they may finally start to shine again.
Well, just imagine if BD takes off! That'll be a nice start.

bRoNx said:
The champ is back! Hope this spells the end of their slump, and hopefully start to focus on the future...

Well, just imagine if BD takes off! That'll be a nice start.

Yeah, by busy few years, im referring mostly to the PS3, Cell, and Blu-ray. I suppose that one is already a sure-fire hit, despite the fact that it will smack them around a little bit for the first year or two.

The others...well, Cell seems to be getting alot more attention than EE ever could have wished for, and Blu Ray seems to have been pushing a little ahead of HD-DVD over the past few months...but im prone to be skeptical towards many things.

Back