Release Date: 2006-03-02
Price: 16800 Yen
Feature: 4 adjustable levels of brightness (ala PSP), thus the name "Lite"
Old Size: 149 x 85 x 29 = 275g
New Size: 133 x 74 x 22 = 218g

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/060126.html

Nintendo DS Lite Unveiled January 26, 2006

by: Eric Topf

BREAKING: A smaller, more compact DS will soon be released in Japan.

Nintendo of Japan today on its official website unveiled a new version of their Nintendo DS handheld which has been met with remarkable success in Japan and around the world. The new Nintendo DS Lite, being dubbed as a "lighter and brigher" DS by Nintendo, is all but certain to continue the success of the original with its small, compact design when it is released on March 2, 2006.

The new DS Lite measures in at 133.0 x 73.9 x 21.5mm (as opposed to the originals size of 148.7 x 84.7 x 28.9mm) and will weigh in at about 218g (the original weighed 275g). The unit is currently set to retail in at about 16800 yen (around $145 USD). Also featured will be 4 adjustable levels of brightness which perhaps will function similarly to the Sony PSP's settings.

Advanced Media will keep you updated on this breaking story should any further details on the unit come forth, and of course we will make sure to keep you informed as to whether this will be coming overseas.

source: Nintendo of Japan

http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3230

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it does. I wish tho they'd gone and done the full replaceable shell thingy like with GBA micro, but this has an even stronger resemblance to the good ol' Game & Watch Dual Screen games. Damn, I loved those when I was a kid... :)

:oops:

Pressed on the issue of a possible redesign for the high-flying handheld, which recently broke through the one-million-UK-sales barrier, Yarnton said, "That's been rumoured, I don't know for how long, but we haven't got any plans at the moment. Nothing I know of."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=14271
That was like yesterday. And today there's a new DS. Either executive officials in companies don't know anything, or the whole world's full of liars!

tema said:
Looks good but early Nintendo handheld adoptors are screwed. as always. :rolleyes:

How in the world are we screwed!? We've had the system for over a year now! I'm happy we're getting a new design. And Nintendo is still going to sell the regular DS, just at a cheaper price. Win win for everybody.

Hardknock said:
How in the world are we screwed!? We've had the system for over a year now!

I just got mine, this looks way cooler, but also smaller = bad for big hands, so all in all i'm happy, would have liked better screens though :)

It looks great (although I can't seem to get that perfect photoshop shadowing at home :(), I just wish they had've waited longer until they could make it *much* smaller than the DS.

Nicked said:
It looks great (although I can't seem to get that perfect photoshop shadowing at home :(), I just wish they had've waited longer until they could make it *much* smaller than the DS.
How could it get any smaller? The bottom side of the DS is only the size of the screen+ the buttons. A GBA/SP design probably wouldn't work as it'd be less supportive of the touchscreen and ergonomic in one-hand control.

Shifty Geezer said:
How could it get any smaller? The bottom side of the DS is only the size of the screen+ the buttons. A GBA/SP design probably wouldn't work as it'd be less supportive of the touchscreen and ergonomic in one-hand control.
Smaller screen (like GB Micro). I don't know how this would affect ease-of-use for the touch-screen control, but neither the original nor this are ergonomically optimal anyway.

I mean, the difference between this and the pure white NDS isn't very great at all.

Make the screen much smaller and games like Meteos would be hell to play.

This looks good though. I wonder how the new D-Pad feels.

I agree. A smaller screen size is about the last thing I'd want in a portable console. As a general principle, I'd even prefer to sacrifice some battery to get a bigger screen.

tema said:
Looks good but early Nintendo handheld adoptors are screwed. as always. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

You should never buy anything, because there will be a better version of it coming out in the future. Hide all your money in your mattress and just wait until the instant before you die to buy anything, that way you won't ever be disappointed.

Heh, Nintendo did a pretty good job keeping a lid on this. Rumours were running wild but I'm pretty sure most people didn't expect a redesign to be announced until E3 at the earliest. I just got my DS a couple of weeks ago but I will be picking one these up, maybe import it since it will no doubt take months before arriving here (NZ). No problem though, my brothers and sisters have been fighting over time on my DS anyway, it won't go unused that's for sure.

As for the size, I find the current DS is already pretty much small enough (fits in my pockets fine) and with the new model looking a bit slimmer I don't really see a problem. They already have the micro if you need ultra portability and making the screen smaller isn't an option as it would make the touchscreen impossible to use in many games. If anything the a bigger screen would be nice but I'll settle for brighter (in anything but perfect (indoor) lighting conditions it very quickly becomes impossible to see anything on the current DS screen).

Anyway, great news. I had already given up hope after the announcement promised by Lik-Sang to happen on the 16th never happened.

I've just been reading up on it and it looks like it will have a glossy finish. I know this is all the rage these days but I really wish they had stayed with the matte finish like the current version. Sure glossy looks nice when you first buy the thing but it quickly start to look ugly with scratches and fingerprints/smudges all over it (I know from experience with my iPod).

Back