Who is ahead in the development process?

That depends on the R600 and G80 cores (or should I say generation), and how Direct3D 10 is going to be used by game developers. So... nobody really knows.

If you could say what development, we might give an answer...

well.. at least ati will release the first 80nm VPU

mczak said:
obvious answer: intel! (seriously, as far as manufacturing technology goes)

Ahead or leading? surely the way Ati and nVidia ar working it.. last generation was on 110nm ati this gen is on 90nm, the 80nm refresh is comming... they're working awfully hard on it..

Zark said:
Who is ahead in the development process; ATI or nVidia?
What’s your opinion?
Phew, tough question.

I honestly don't know but the answer lies in which of the two will be the first to auto-detect and automagically render more hair on Eric Demers head when pictures of him appear on the Internet. You know how expensive it is to render a lot of realistic hair on 3D hardware. So, that's my guess.

Just to be sure, however... you weren't talking about things like human resource development, right?

Neliz, 80nm in the midrange or in the high end? A 256-bit RV560 would be an ideal candidate for the die shrink, methinks. Any reason to expect 80nm parts to clock higher than 90nm?

kemosabe said:
Neliz, 80nm in the midrange or in the high end? A 256-bit RV560 would be an ideal candidate for the die shrink, methinks. Any reason to expect 80nm parts to clock higher than 90nm?

midrange offcourse..

but I allready was let down.. I thought the 1700 (RV565 - 80nm) would appear in march.. it seems that it will now be later though...

I'll take my bet and say it's nV. Just because they had additional 6 months to play around with stuff while ATI was struggling to get R520 out the door.

_xxx_ said:
I'll take my bet and say it's nV. Just because they had additional 6 months to play around with stuff while ATI was struggling to get R520 out the door.

Did it? only the r520 got delayed remember... ati's product line allready features a range of 90nm products. nVidia only anounced one low end product which it didn't even get out to mass market yet.

neliz said:
Did it? only the r520 got delayed remember... ati's product line allready features a range of 90nm products. nVidia only anounced one low end product which it didn't even get out to mass market yet.

I'm talking about research, design, experimenting...all the stuff ATI couldn't do that extensively last year. But it's as always just an uneducated guess :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.. I can't imagine the whole R&D department working on a single problem. ATi has split development tracks so R580 was offcourse unaffected. but the design of next and next generation chips (R600, R6X0, R700) was IMO unaffected by the production problems, it may have stalled one or two weeks but once chi design is complete it's up to other people to work it out.

If you design chips over such a long period (say, R600's development started in 2002 (as R400)) what would the effect of some ground problems in r520 be on R600? hardly any influence right?

NV40 was a big bump.. but mostly because it's a switched development track.. and even then nV didn't have to much trouble to market that product in time..

As far as products availible today.......it's ATi. My reason for saying this is just look at the top end products from both companies. The 7800 series is nothing more than an extention of the same architecture first seen on the 6xxx series....and can possibly be traced back to the original ATi 9700.... pretty much brute force and very conventional. Now look at all of the "new" architecture in the X1xxxx series, it's anything but conventional...and Xenos goes even farther to the non conventional side.....

Granted this is a conclusion based on glittering generalities.......and has only basis in what we can see right now. No telling what either company has up it's sleeve.

Don't forget ATI's troubles with the chipset business, also the resources needed for Xenos support, SW etc.

On the other side I'm still expecting (hoping?) that nV will eventually develop a stand-alone sound chip and sell it as an add-on soundcard...

_xxx_ said:

Ati is using parallel teams it is unlikely that the problems with the R520 has taken any hands away from the R600, also the engineers are pretty specialized – problem solving on a finished chips and research for future products are not done by the same people.

_xxx_ said:
I'm talking about research, design, experimenting...all the stuff ATI couldn't do that extensively last year. But it's as always just an uneducated guess :)

I guess also being in bed with microsoft will give it's fruits! :)

Back