Next-Gen Article: "Comment: Sony's Real War Begins"

overclocked said:
Spring ends abou six moths from now so they got plenty of time according to what they said. Lets see whats happens in the feb-event. I think many will be suprised.

Will people still be speculating about the "upcoming Feb event" in March?

If it weren't for Blu Ray I dont think Sony would be in any hurry to launch PS3.
Xbox 1 is dead, the 360 isn't in stores. Gamecube is well, dead :p

PS2 is pretty much the only game in town right now.

February is like uh, a week away. An event that is supposed to like publically usher in the PS3 would very likely be publicized by now.

Unless people are calling the "Destination Playstation" or "Devstation" the Feb event....I just don't see it happening at this point.

Joe DeFuria said:
February is like uh, a week away. An event that is supposed to like publically usher in the PS3 would very likely be publicized by now.

Unless people are calling the "Destination Playstation" or "Devstation" the Feb event....I just don't see it happening at this point.

Hey, there's no disputing those points - and IMO Destination and Devstation certainly don't count. Yet, Sony execs have gone on record, basically saying 'February.'

Now if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen. I know the point you were trying to make, but that said I mean it's just a little too much to be baiting with 'will people still be wondering in March?' :p

I think there's too much discussion these days on when PS3 will release and why it can or can't release on certain dates. I mean most of us have logical points on either side of the issue, and though I grant that those saying "Spring no-way" have more going for them in terms of reasonable doubt, I don't know why people get so worked up - and that certainly applies to the 'pro-Sony' crowd as well.

We've all gone on record - IMO there's nothing left to do but see who's right and the losers prepare for a quick round of 'I told you so's'... and from there, off to speculating on the next piece of console triviality. :)

That was at the Akihabara Entertainment Festival, which is (IIRC) an annual festival mostly dedicated to film. That is, the festival was a widely known and publicized event, and Sony's presence was merely a part of it.

Unless there is some other "festival" or trade show / event already scheduled for Feb that will draw people that will be interested in PS3, then Sony will have to put on its own event....it would have been publicized by now, just as DevStation and Destination have been...

xbdestroya said:
Now if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen. I know the point you were trying to make, but that said I mean it's just a little too much to be baiting with 'will people still be wondering in March?' :p

Admitedly, this Feb event is getting to be a pet peeve of mine. ;) Mostly, because I see it time and time again being taken for granted that it's going to happen, and I have seen zero evidence that one actually exists. I have previously (not in this thread) asked for evidence of such an event...and got basically no response.

If we're lucky, the "Destination" event will result in more concrete leaks of expected availability at least in the U.S., and the "Devstation" event will result in some leaks of that, as well as possibly RSX.

Other than that, I'm not expecting a whole helluva lot out of February on the PS3 front.

Joe DeFuria said:
Admitedly, this Feb event is getting to be a pet peeve of mine. ;) Mostly, because I see it time and time again being taken for granted that it's going to happen, and I have seen zero evidence that one actually exists. I have previously (not in this thread) asked for evidence of such an event...and got basically no response.

If we're lucky, the "Destination" event will result in more concrete leaks of expected availability at least in the U.S., and the "Devstation" event will result in some leaks of that, as well as possibly RSX.

Other than that, I'm not expecting a whole helluva lot out of February on the PS3 front.

Well, whether or not Sony decides to have an official event...it's been said time and time again that the information embargo WILL end in February...so devs will be unveiling their games. That's really the only important part of all of this commotion anyway. The games will speak for the system on all fronts...even if Sony doesn't.

seismologist said:

No, why?

That was back in September...in partial response to a previous "promise" being broken (no playable games at Tokyo Game Show). This is suppossed to lend credibility to a major unveiling in the next few weeks how?

In addition, Saeki reveals in rather non-specific fashion that a February 2006 Japanese event intended to showcase playable PS3 games has been re-arranged, but that a "secret" alternative is being readied that may surprise players..

So literally, there might be some Feb event...or alternatively there are some other plans...I would place my bet on the "alternative" (whatever that is) at this point.

PS2 launched with little in the way of compelling software, so I wouldn't put it past Sony to launch PS3 even if the games aren't ready. And even if they launch in Spring their probably won't be any really interesting games until Summer. :cry:

seismologist said:
A surprise early launch could be devastating to Microsoft if they're still having supply problems. Once the PS3 is on shelves it'll be like "360 who?"

Wouldn't that depend on PS3 availability and price. Those that will buy the intital PS3 shipments are the hardcore that would have bought the system, whether there are xbox360s in every shop for $100 or not...

Joe DeFuria said:
Will people still be speculating about the "upcoming Feb event" in March?

I think by then they'll be speculating about the upcoming March event. And looking forward to the April event. And dreaming about E3.

Back