Why does Gilette shaving cream suck so bad?

I use the aloe gel from gillete, and it doesn't burn but it does tingle. I shave in the shower though as well, so it is a pretty painless experience, still shaving is annoying, but my wife doesn't like full beards, says she hates it when I have a moustache, ah well.

The Gilette mach 3 razors are a lot better than the cheap disposable razors. The Gilette shaving gel does not burn my skin but I think it all depends on the end users skin type.

;)

What's so cruel about testing shaving gel on animals? It's not like it's some sort of acid or something poisonous/dangerous (except in Guden's case, of course ;)).

_xxx_ said:
What's so cruel about testing shaving gel on animals? It's not like it's some sort of acid or something poisonous/dangerous (except in Guden's case, of course ;)).

well the problem is that before the final product, animal tests test whatever potion on animals to see the results...

london-boy said:
well the problem is that before the final product, animal tests test whatever potion on animals to see the results...

Oh, it's about that. I have no idea what those tests look like... :oops:

Edge makes a shaving gel called ultra sensitive or something like that. It has no added things for color or fragrance that pretty much every other shaving gel/cream has.

Yeah, the fragrance in shaving cream can be pretty annoying (as well as allergenic). It's like EVERYTHING that touches the skin has to be scented these days...

I guess I just have to go check out a Lush store and see if they have something suited for use as a shaving soap... At least their scents come from natural plants n stuff as opposed to a stainless steel vat in some smoke-and-grime-infested factory... *Gets images in head from Axis Chemicals in Burton's first Batman movie*

Guden Oden said:
At least their scents come from natural plants n stuff...

Surely, you're not supporting deforestation and destruction of vegetaive life and local ecosystems for the sake of a comfortable shave? (Not to mention that whatever "natural" ingredients they use, are surely processed in the same "stainless steel vat in some smoke and grime filled factory" that you seem to have problems with)

On a related note....I just use a panasonic wet/dry electric shaver, with no skin treatment at all...

Joe DeFuria said:
Surely, you're not supporting deforestation and destruction of vegetaive life and local ecosystems for the sake of a comfortable shave?
No, I'm sure the practices of making these products are no more eco-nasty than traditional agriculture, and hopefully a fair sight better actually...

(Not to mention that whatever "natural" ingredients they use, are surely processed in the same "stainless steel vat in some smoke and grime filled factory" that you seem to have problems with)
Maybe you should check them out yourself. You probably don't have any Lush stores in the US, but their stuff certainly isn't made in the way you seem to think. :D

Joe DeFuria said:
Surely, you're not supporting deforestation and destruction of vegetaive life and local ecosystems for the sake of a comfortable shave? (Not to mention that whatever "natural" ingredients they use, are surely processed in the same "stainless steel vat in some smoke and grime filled factory" that you seem to have problems with)
Heck yeah! I need my shave close, who needs trees anyways?

On a related note....I just use a panasonic wet/dry electric shaver, with no skin treatment at all...
I can't do electrics. I love 'em when I first get them, but if I only use the electric it irritates the hell out of my skin. :(

I like having one for emergencies and when I'm running late, but otherwise gimme a blade & cream anyday. :)

QUESTION: Do people here shave down ("with the grain") or up ("against the grain")? I shave up like the QueerEye people find heretical, but I never can get it close enough shaving with the way my facial hairs lie.

london-boy said:

I heard they spread shaving cream on the test rabbits balls and if they run around to much they assume it stings.

digitalwanderer said:
QUESTION: Do people here shave down ("with the grain") or up ("against the grain")?
Depends. I tend to shave with the grain on my cheeks, "sideways" around the jaw, upper lip and chin, and against it down the throat. I hate not feeling completely smooth, shaving it with the grain all over just won't do it, and to hell with those queers if they don't like it! :devilish:

QUESTION: Do people here shave down ("with the grain") or up ("against the grain")?
I always go against the grain (although, near my neck, "against the grain" actually means down, but elsewhere, it's up). There's no way you can get a close shave if you don't. Best you can do is something that's smooth going in one direction. I do find that if I've let it grow very long, a normal blade won't cut very well going against the grain, though. So in those cases, I'll do 2 passes.

A lot of people seem to think it creates major irritation, but I really don't get that -- maybe if there's really stiff short hairs, but if you get that, that probably just means that your facial hair is growing slower than the frequency of your shave warrants. Strangely enough, I don't even get much irritation at all from aftershaves -- not even the ones that are mostly alcohol. I can't even begin to imagine shaving foam/gel that burns.

I can't do electrics. I love 'em when I first get them, but if I only use the electric it irritates the hell out of my skin. I like having one for emergencies and when I'm running late, but otherwise gimme a blade & cream anyday.
I'm with you there, they just don't cut well, so you have to run that constantly vibrating toy over the same area over and over (put toilet humor here). They do say that your skin takes about a month of shaving to get acclimated to a new razor, but I never have the patience to test that. The main thing I do use electrics for is the trimmer attachment.

I shave sideways. Shaving down does nothing at all for me really, and shaving up simply makes it very stubby feeling. Shaving sideways though produces an awesome smooth shave.

MuFu said:
I shave in a spiral pattern, from the chin outwards.
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

I got the damndest mental image of this one!

Waaaait just one minute. Let's return to first principles, gentlemen. Why is a Swede shaving in the winter in the first place? Your Viking ancestors would be sooo embarrassed! :rolleyes:

:p

Real men shave with the same razor for 3 straight years....

:)

*I grow blonde facial hair, so I dont have to shave every day, only twice a week or so. 31 years old as well. Ive had the same razor for almost 3 straight years. Haven't replaced it, only shave in the shower with soap and water. Gillete Mach 3.

I think that shaving cream makers are in cahoots with the razor makers to dull blades on purpose.

Back