Viewsonic VX724 or VP171b

Altcon

Regular
Well I've narowed it down to these two LCD's, I haven't gone out to see them yet but I'm planning to this week.
Any insight on day to day usage, gaming or whatever you can think of would be great.
It seems pretty hard to get objective (if such a thing really exists) opinions on LCD's.
I have about a month before I buy one.
as always, any input apreciated (OT too)...

I can't comment on the VX724 but I have the VP171b and love it. Good quality, good contrast (at least in comparison to some other competitors), good color reproduction and no noticable image bluring except on text when scrolling fast (I have the slightly older model with a 16ms response time), all imo of course. I do have a couple complaints, there is noticable backlight bleeding when watching movies or on black backgrounds and the contrast is a little off unless you look directly at the front of the screen, but other then that I'm happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, from looking around the web a bit more I think the VP171b wil be great, it seems response time has been upgraded to 8ms and most reviews favour it (in the 17" category).

I haven't managed to find anyone who actually owns a VX724, now considering they are a bit pricier then other LCD's I would have thought some enthusiasts would own them - since they clearly dominate Samsung's latest offerings in speed and quality.

Thanks for your input!

My recommendation would be a larger size...a 20 inch instead of going for faster refresh rates. I have played doom 3 on a 20 incher from Dell and there was no ghosting or anything...beautiful really.

suryad said:
My recommendation would be a larger size...a 20 inch instead of going for faster refresh rates. I have played doom 3 on a 20 incher from Dell and there was no ghosting or anything...beautiful really.
The problem with that is budget. I'd rather have a quality 17" then a medium - low quality 19-20" one. As far as I can tell, there are no High Quality 19-20" panels going for the rate of one of these 17" LCD's.
Obviously going for a bigger display is better, but if I went the same level of qualty the price goes up by around 50%, not feasible for me right now.... :(

You'd also need a more powerful graphics card to run at the native resolution. 17" is fine, in fact I wouldn't want to go bigger then 20" (although I would like a good widescreen 20").

ANova said:
You'd also need a more powerful graphics card to run at the native resolution. 17" is fine, in fact I wouldn't want to go bigger then 20" (although I would like a good widescreen 20").
What?@?@?@?
Why would I need a more powerfull GPU?
As it is right now, I play most games at 1280*960 with AA+AF at high settings just fine (excluding Fear of course). You think the bump to 1024*1280 will kill my system?
oh oh....I really can't take a GPU upgrade right now.....

JCLW said:
Out of the two I'd say the VP171.

What's your budget?
My budget is around 550$ (the Viewsonic's are about 540$), but I'm in Israel, so that's all you get for 550$.
19-20" LCD's are about 700-900$ here, for the quality ones, and about 400-500$ for the cheap ones.
Here is a good indication: http://zap.co.il/models.asp?Sog=C-Monitor&DB4157=4159&DB4147=4148&DB55019=138765&DB4368=51959
of price range (watch out, it's in Hebrew), with one dollar eqauling 4.66NIS right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Altcon said:
What?@?@?@?
Why would I need a more powerfull GPU?
As it is right now, I play most games at 1280*960 with AA+AF at high settings just fine (excluding Fear of course). You think the bump to 1024*1280 will kill my system?
oh oh....I really can't take a GPU upgrade right now.....
No I'm referring to getting a larger LCD. The native resolution on a 20" is 1600x1200 or 1680x1050 wide. If you're running 1280x960 now then you'll only be increasing to 1280x1024 on a 17" LCD.

ANova said:
No I'm referring to getting a larger LCD. The native resolution on a 20" is 1600x1200 or 1680x1050 wide. If you're running 1280x960 now then you'll only be increasing to 1280x1024 on a 17" LCD.
ah ok, phew...
I know a smal performance hit will probably occur on the games I play (moving up to 1280*1024), but I figured my system could still handle it gracefully. I also read the interpolation on the Viewsonic LCD's is pretty good up untill 800*600.
That's settled then VP171b here I come (as soon as I get my mobo back from RMA).

After looking around a bit more and listenning to everyone's suggestions, I've ordered a VX924 19" LCD and a Leadtek 7800GT (to be able to game at 1280*1024).
So thanks to all who replied!!!

Back