Could PS3 and X360 manage the Crytec 2 engine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pjbliverpool said:
Saying its easier to programme for than the PS2 doesn't mean its not still difficult. Cell is obviously a pain to develop for compared to an Athlon/P4, I expect any dev would agree.
I think most PC devs would agree with you, while most PS2 devs would argue differently. ;)

BTOA said:
I think most PC devs would agree with you, while most PS2 devs would argue differently. ;)

Exactly, the next generation is were your gonna start seeing Console Dev's Shine and make X86 programmers look dumb.

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
Exactly, the next generation is were your gonna start seeing Console Dev's Shine and make X86 programmers look dumb.

Why? PC dev's will just get big old Athlon or P4 chips that are much simpler to code for, and new kick-ass GPU's.

I don't see this generation being any different than the last. Console dev's wil contunie to do great things with dedicated hardware, and PC dev's will continue to get much more powerful HW and use it much less effectively.

There's just alot of hate for PC dev's cause they keep telling us that the consoles are not as amazing as they think...some poeple don't like to hear that.

scooby_dooby said:
There's just alot of hate for PC dev's cause they keep telling us that the consoles are not as amazing as they think...some poeple don't like to hear that.
I just found this funny and it reminds me of people arguing about car engine setup, V setup vs Inline setup. :LOL:

In the end, you have developers who are more accustomed or tailored to particular rigs. So since we are talking about console hardware, finalized and closed hardware, a console developer's opinion>pc developer for this type of setup, IMO. ;)

scooby_dooby said:
Why? PC dev's will just get big old Athlon or P4 chips that are much simpler to code for, and new kick-ass GPU's.

I don't see this generation being any different than the last. Console dev's wil contunie to do great things with dedicated hardware, and PC dev's will continue to get much more powerful HW and use it much less effectively.

I think there is some truth to his statement, but Console devs have been "showing PC devs up" for years now. I've seen console games be comparable to games running on hardware 3x better on PCs -- for the hardware console devs get a lot more out of it... of course this has a lot more to do with the fact that PC devs _can't_ really take advantage of a known platform like console Devs can. I've always been more impressed with console devs, but it doesn't mean a competent PC dev can't produce some fantastic things on a console -- they aren't inherently lazy, like some people would like us to believe -- assuming they get around the difficulties of an alien hardware platform (which I think is a far more consistant complaint from PC devs than console devs).

We'll see things come from PS3/X360(/Rev?) that will be "comparable" to what we see on PCs with 500+m transistor CPUs (Quad core?) and 500+m transistor GPUs (R600/G80/etc). This is what I think he means by showing PC devs up... but it has more to do with the benefits of a closed/static platform than it does with developer ability.

Bobbler said:
We'll see things come from PS3/X360(/Rev?) that will be "comparable" to what we see on PCs with 500+m transistor CPUs (Quad core?) and 500+m transistor GPUs (R600/G80/etc). This is what I think he means by showing PC devs up... but it has more to do with the benefits of a closed/static platform than it does with developer ability.

By that definition, they've been showing them up for many years already, so I don't see how things will change this generation.

Seems like a continuation of the same cycle to me...

scooby_dooby said:
By that definition, they've been showing them up for many years already, so I don't see how things will change this generation.

Seems like a continuation of the same cycle to me...

That's what I said in the first sentence!

Bobbler said:
That's what I said in the first sentence!
Ohh.back from the dead...

What I meant was, by YOUR definition yes they have been showing them up for years. But, that's not teh only way to look at it, if you look at it from a purely graphical comparison standpoint, PC dev's have been showing up console dev's for years(until now).

The original statement was that console dev's will make PC dev's look dumb. They won't because hardware will not stand still. If you look at it purely from an efficiency standpoint, then they might make them look dumb. But as far as visuals on screen, the PC's are gonna look fine in a year or two.

Either way, it's a continuation of the same cycle. PC will have better GFX in a few years, showing up the console devs in the regard, Consoles will continue to get amazing efficiency from the older hardware, showing up the PC devs in that regard.

scooby_dooby said:
PC will have better GFX in a few years, showing up the console hardware in the regard, Console developers will continue to get amazing efficiency from the older hardware, showing up the PC devs in that regard.
Fixed ;)

scooby_dooby said:
Ohh.back from the dead...

What I meant was, by YOUR definition yes they have been showing them up for years. But, that's not teh only way to look at it, if you look at it from a purely graphical comparison standpoint, PC dev's have been showing up console dev's for years(until now).

The original statement was that console dev's will make PC dev's look dumb. They won't because hardware will not stand still. If you look at it purely from an efficiency standpoint, then they might make them look dumb. But as far as visuals on screen, the PC's are gonna look fine in a year or two.

Either way, it's a continuation of the same cycle. PC will have better GFX in a few years, showing up the console devs in the regard, Consoles will continue to get amazing efficiency from the older hardware, showing up the PC devs in that regard.

Trying to remember what I meant from a 2 month old post... heh.

I think I was trying to point out that by his logic even, console dev's would have been showing them up for years now. Hence the quotes and my response to your response. =o

It's the same as ever, as you said, it's the same old cycle. I think we agree...

It will be slightly to significantly cut down, by the time it comes out on consoles, which may be two years.

Look at oblivion, it already looks slightly better on the highest end PC's, three months after X360 launch.

This is always the case with consoles. Was with PS2, Xbox, etc. Usually they can roughly run high end PC games perfectly at first, then slip very fast.

tema said:
PPU 128gflops. Cell 200gflops. Cell is here. Where is the PPU?

Can you provide the source for this.

Plus people shouldnt coment on JC coments if they dont understand them.

BTW did all of you saw the latest video from Crysis (the one how include the gameplay parts):?:

Xbot360 said:
It will be slightly to significantly cut down, by the time it comes out on consoles, which may be two years.

Look at oblivion, it already looks slightly better on the highest end PC's, three months after X360 launch.

This is always the case with consoles. Was with PS2, Xbox, etc. Usually they can roughly run high end PC games perfectly at first, then slip very fast.

Oblivion was in development for 4 years on the PC. The 360 version is a port. It was not developed to take advange of the 360.

chroniceyestrain said:
Oblivion was in development for 4 years on the PC. The 360 version is a port. It was not developed to take advange of the 360.

Is that true? I thought there was simultaneous development on both the PC and the 360, with the the 360 getting a good bit of "fine tuning" in regards to the platform.

I may be confusing this with another title.

DAVEW

scooby_dooby said:
No need to get upset, I was just following up on the previous comment. To me the 2nd shot looks drop dead amazing, while the 1st shot is just 'ok', i don't see how you can say there's no discrepency.

I never said they were CG, I'm just pointing out the cinematic-shots seem to be much more impressive than the in-game fighting shots.

I don't see much discrepency either...

jonnyp said:
Please, you're just making yourself look silly. That's actually a CG shot you think look like ass.

Anyone else getting slightly tired of this fella? Or is it just me?

He has been banned. That post was 5 days old, why reply to it now? Let it go.

Kids, please...

This is the Console Technology Forum. It was created to keep all the serious technical discussions in one place, so that the serious posters could come here and do their thing without worrying about kids coming in and ruining all the technical discussions.
There are 2 other Console Forums, the Console Talk and Console Games. Those two are the trash bins that were left there so that the kids could troll and be annoying in there, leaving this one forum free of them. That's my view anyway, it's what seems to have happened naturally...

Please, let's keep things as they should be (civil that is), or go back to the other forums, if you really have nothing else to do than to troll the boards and have silly discussions about one engine "destroying" another...

pjbliverpool said:
Uh huh... :rolleyes:
Why not? If Crytec runs on top-end PCs as it does, and consoles are equivalent, consoles can run Crytec, right? And given their closed-box nature, they'll be competitive for a while longer, so logically will be running games a couple years on from this tech. Okay, this is going into PC vs Console nonsense, but if you disagree with a point you could at least try adding some intelligent reasons why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back