Soul Calibur II on the 42" plasma

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Wow, just wow! Getting the s-video cable for the Gamecube eliminated the shimmers for me, I can play it now until I get a component cable.

It looks fricking beautiful, just beautiful. Better than any arcade fighter I've ever played, and so far me and my 8 year old son are tied at 3 wins each. :)

He's good, very good...but I've got the experience on him. He has an advantage since he knows the game better, but I'm learning and button-mashing seems to work pretty good along with all the combo tricks from Tekken to produce some truly amazing results.

I'm having a blast playing video games with my kids, even if my daughter is rooting for my son. :LOL:

kyleb said:
I'm sure it does look great, but a 360 and DoA4 already as you haven't seen nothing yet. ;)
Really? That much better?

Heck, are 360s re-stocked in the US yet? Mebbe we'll pick one up...

Yeah, it's about like the difference between SD and HD cable. As for finding a 360 to buy in the US, stock is flowing regularly at this point but it still takes a bit of work to track one down before someone else does.

I second that. Last gen is SO last gen once you see DoA 4 in 720p on the 360. Geometry Wars is pretty hot too :)

digitalwanderer said:
Wow, just wow! Getting the s-video cable for the Gamecube eliminated the shimmers for me, I can play it now until I get a component cable.

It looks fricking beautiful, just beautiful. Better than any arcade fighter I've ever played, and so far me and my 8 year old son are tied at 3 wins each. :)

He's good, very good...but I've got the experience on him. He has an advantage since he knows the game better, but I'm learning and button-mashing seems to work pretty good along with all the combo tricks from Tekken to produce some truly amazing results.

I'm having a blast playing video games with my kids, even if my daughter is rooting for my son. :LOL:

The key with Soul Calibur (and most other fighters) is not to learn the moves of the character you are using, but to learn the enemy character. That way you can tell when to block and when to hit.

Captain Chickenpants said:
The key with Soul Calibur (and most other fighters) is not to learn the moves of the character you are using, but to learn the enemy character. That way you can tell when to block and when to hit.
You can block in that game? :oops:

Well c'mon, what other strategy do you think I'd use and what strategy do you think my 8 year old son is using against me?

Mercilessly attacking is the best defense, leave them no openings for an offense... ;)

digitalwanderer said:
Well c'mon, what other strategy do you think I'd use and what strategy do you think my 8 year old son is using against me?

Mercilessly attacking is the best defense, leave them no openings for an offense... ;)

Till your very quick-learning 8 year old son learns the art of counter attacks and you'll die a very premature death...

london-boy said:
Till your very quick-learning 8 year old son learns the art of counter attacks and you'll die a very premature death...
As soon as he does, I'll modify my strategy accordingly. ;)

I have fun playing against him, he really is pretty good....and the more we play the better he gets.

Is it ok that I take pride in my son's gaming skills? :-|

Oddly enough his reading skills are already waaaay above his classmates, he's been jonesing to learn to read ever since he found out about the internet... :oops:

Both my kids are scarily literate. My daughter taught herself about "cut-n-paste" as a way to learn how to spell words into search engines. :LOL:

The xbox1 version of Soul Calibur 2 plays in 720p on the xbox1. The crappy thing is that it's in 4:3 format in this mode. Even though, it still looks 10x better than the standard resolution for this game.

digi, you need to see sc3 over a componet cable. last time i showed it to an xbox-owning friend he could not believe it was running on a ps2. oh, and learn to counter, otherwise some day at some store kiosk you'll face a seasond player, which will jeopardize your reputation infront of your kid : )

Heh, I spent an hour in single-player arcade mode when he was at school yesterday and figured out blocking & counter-attacking....then I TOASTED him with a pink clad girl while he played his fave character I could never beat him at before. :devilish:

Thanks for the tips guys, anymore?

BTW-SC2 is the latest for the Gamecube fighting game-wise, right? Are there any other for GC that are good?

Vary your your attacks between high and low. Use a throw every now and again.
Remember to move up and down.
Your three basic attacks are Kick, Horizontal Strike, Vertical strike. Use the Horizontal strike whilst moving up/down, or if they are moving up/down.

Block their attacks and counter when the opportunity presents itself (which is why you learn their characters rather than your own).
If your attack is blocked then either change your point of attack or go into a defensive position (block or move away).

CC

Vary your your attacks between high and low. Use a throw every now and again.
Remember to move up and down.
Your three basic attacks are Kick, Horizontal Strike, Vertical strike. Use the Horizontal strike whilst moving up/down, or if they are moving up/down.

Block their attacks and counter when the opportunity presents itself (which is why you learn their characters rather than your own).
If your attack is blocked then either change your point of attack or go into a defensive position (block or move away).

It is not especially comfortable, but I hold the controller so that I can press any of the buttons individually without moving a finger from another button. By having my thumb control the block button. Like so

Code:
1       3
    T
CC

chickenpants, you're sick : )

it makes me wanna use on you some unblockables just to see how you handle your controller ; ))

Back