SQL server?? solid state HDD??

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
right, here some doubts i just need to get rid of...

we just got a new SQL server at work and it is just 10000000x faster than the old one we used to have... now, why is that exactly?!

also......... i heard here and there about solid state HDD's..... but whats the fuss all about?

thanx... :LOL:

People are making solid state HDDs from flash memory.

These have limited write cycles (~100k or maybe ~1M) and are generally slower to write to than rotating media. They're also much more expensive, bit per bit.

Supposedly there's a push to enable MEMs (nanotechnology) as a very dense "solid state" storage media that won't suffer from the problems that flash has. Of course, its probably years off...

so what would be the advantage in developing a technology which is not better than the existing technology and is also more expensive? :?

SSDs have very low latency. For many applications, such as real-time applications, latency is much important than raw bandwidth.

london-boy said:
so what would be the advantage in developing a technology which is not better than the existing technology and is also more expensive? :?

Different applications. Flash based HDDs are great for portable devices that don't need to write much in real time. (like mp3 players!) Or for embedded devices that don't need too many write cycles. (Like air plane black boxes).

They don't do well as a scratch disk for windows.

I would assume that Flash based (and solid state in general), storage is much more reliable than mechanical storage. Above all, that is probably a key advantage in database servers.

Mechanical storage is relatively cheap....but then you have to factor in RAID and and other redundancy techniques with the mecahnical devices which as basically just assumed to break-down at some point.

So in short, I would say that Solid Sate storage is more about reliability, than performance....

london-boy said:
THANKS...

so what about SQL servers? :oops:
What is your question, exactly? Why are the new "SQL servers" faster?

Just to clear up some confusion: SQL Server is a database application from Microsoft. You purchase a regular computer and then install the SQL Server application onto it. Just like any application you can speed up its processes by upgrading the hardware in the computer.

The servers are faster because your IT department probably added more RAM or faster CPUs or something along those lines.

Back