How's XP 64bit matured?

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
Driver wise?
I'm thinking of dualbooting xp 32bit and xp 64 bit.
And how many games have a 64bit exe that actually increases performance?

I have no idea. I'm recall there was a couple of articles that looked into it. The biggest benefit you will get at the moment is quicker loading times. The least likely thing you will get is a performance gain.. as some games probably need some code tweaking to get it performing better. Most games probably haven't really had extensive testing on the 64-bit OS.

Driverwise.. I think it's on par for the most part (perhaps a little less). It will take potentially a year (maybe less) before the driver is better programmed for the 64-bit environment. Certainly.. I would wait until its first service pack to see how much has changed.

So far I've been there twice, and come back.

Games were OK.
Most benchmarks worked.
Office 2003 worked.
AutoCAD worked.
Norton does NOT work.
Acrobat Pro does NOT work correctly.
My LaserJet 1320N does NOT work correctly.

I don't really care about Norton but I need to be able to print to PDFs, and while the LaserJet works using the basic PCL6 driver I can't use any of the goodies (like duplexing).

well I installed it today (dual boot) and it works fine and boots super fast, but I couldn't get my printer to share properly.
I got some beta drivers for it but my mom's computer said it couldn't connect to mine because of security.
I have it shared and have unknown accounts authorise as guest (with account turned on) but no dice.
I tried using simple file sharing but it still didn't work.
However it didn't ask me if I really wanted to share it like how it normally does with simple file sharing.

WOW64 is still a pain sometimes (Windows on Windows 64, the 32bit emulation layer)
Running Guild Wars on WinXP64 is definetly slower than running it on regular WinXP...

MS still hasn't released drivers for its own line of keyboards and mices, what a shame !

Other than that, it runs fine.

it would be interesting to compare XP32 and XP64 with windows 2003 32bits.
most performance gains may come from NT 5.2 kernel and not 64bit-ness..

It seems to all come down to drivers and, frankly, I don't think a lot of companies are going to bother putting too much effort into writing 64 bit versions until Vista.

Diplo said:
It seems to all come down to drivers and, frankly, I don't think a lot of companies are going to bother putting too much effort into writing 64 bit versions until Vista.

I disagree to some extent. Some of the more important products (stuff that is selling now) will get theirs done first (like NVidia and ATI).. but there will be potentially quite a bit of unsupported products for XP64 just because of either laziness (Creative comes to mind a lot) or the time/cost to do such a thing. I'm pretty sure they are actively developing for Vista though. (You still have to provide Vista compatible drivers even if the OS is beta. You don't want to be last company to support Vista.)

Personally.. I'd wait until hardware has drivers available for Vista before using it (then again, I would wait until its first service pack because you are almost guarenteed a Vista driver is available by the time a service pack is released).. I can already imagine that the drivers that would accompany Vista for the X-Fi series will be a POS (mainly MS generally provides drivers with basic acceleration most of the time) and Creative has been known to be rather slow in developing drivers for older products.

Deathlike2 said:
I disagree to some extent. Some of the more important products (stuff that is selling now) will get theirs done first (like NVidia and ATI).. but there will be potentially quite a bit of unsupported products for XP64 just because of either laziness (Creative comes to mind a lot) or the time/cost to do such a thing. I'm pretty sure they are actively developing for Vista though. (You still have to provide Vista compatible drivers even if the OS is beta. You don't want to be last company to support Vista.)

Personally.. I'd wait until hardware has drivers available for Vista before using it (then again, I would wait until its first service pack because you are almost guarenteed a Vista driver is available by the time a service pack is released).. I can already imagine that the drivers that would accompany Vista for the X-Fi series will be a POS (mainly MS generally provides drivers with basic acceleration most of the time) and Creative has been known to be rather slow in developing drivers for older products.

actually having used X64 for quite awhile, Creative has been one of the few that have been actively and constantly developing drivers for this OS, so im a bit confused as to why you picked them. They have X64 drivers for every mainstream and/or popular product except the divi cam line i believe. In comparison to other companies, creative has been fantastic, places like cannon or logitech on the other hand have been pathetic.

http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/...0,VARSET=ws:http://us.creative.com/,case=7824

many places havnt been nearly this thorough in support

SugarCoat said:
actually having used X64 for quite awhile, Creative has been one of the few that have been actively and constantly developing drivers for this OS, so im a bit confused as to why you picked them. They have X64 drivers for every mainstream and/or popular product except the divi cam line i believe. In comparison to other companies, creative has been fantastic, places like cannon or logitech on the other hand have been pathetic.

Well, I've been rather pissed off of their lack of "digital output" support their current drivers have for SB Live! Value OEM versions.. I understand that you should ideally use the drivers as provided by the OEM, but for crying out loud, it wouldn't have killed them to have it implemented.

I've never really liked Creative's driver practices although they may have the best hardware. I may have to get at least an Audigy 2 or better to finally get the proper support I deserve.

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=8931

Creative Tech Support said:
Boston Acoustic Digital Speakers or Prebuilt System With a Digital Live! Card

Some name brand systems shipped with a special Live! Value card that was made to work with digital speakers. If you system shipped with a Live! Value and you have digital speakers you will need to use drivers provided by your system manufacturer. If you use the drivers on the Creative website your card will no longer work with your digital speakers.

If you have a set of Boston Acoustic digital speakers that came with your system and they are not working with your sound card, make sure you have it connected to the digital out on the card. Also make sure that the digital out is enabled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well since my win32 xp is borked (minimizing programs locks it up occaisonly) I'm migrating over to xp 64.
everything works, including overclocking :devilish: at 2.3 ghz from 2 ghz stock, at 1.45 volts, however with the infamous voltage flucuatations with my msi neo4-f it's more like 1.4 volts.
using a 166 memory divider and a 4x HT mult with a 230 HTT.
would go higher but no need since I'm limited by having 512MB since my corsair 3200C2 is getting rmaed.
300 mhz without even trying isn't bad I thnk.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my quest for buying a new computer - temporarily halted by the arrival of R580 - I had been planning to use WinXP x64, the intended CPU being an Athlon X2. Now I'm starting to worry that Xp x64 will be a dead-end OS that noone will develop for when Vista arrives, always being ridden by irritating compatibility nags. Thoughts about that?

Another question, slightly OT: In terms of 32-bit XP, will I need XP Pro for a dual core setup, or will it work with XP Home also?

horvendile said:
In my quest for buying a new computer - temporarily halted by the arrival of R580 - I had been planning to use WinXP x64, the intended CPU being an Athlon X2. Now I'm starting to worry that Xp x64 will be a dead-end OS that noone will develop for when Vista arrives, always being ridden by irritating compatibility nags. Thoughts about that?

Another question, slightly OT: In terms of 32-bit XP, will I need XP Pro for a dual core setup, or will it work with XP Home also?
Well you can think of it as windows ME imo or win98 SE.
It's just a OS to go with the the x86-64 cpus.
It it a bit quicker overall for the OS and of course for 64 bit applications.

I have Xp x64 and it's somewhat a pain in the ass. The only GOOD antivirus software that works is Kaspersky 2006 and Nod32-64 and kaspersky is still in beta. So far I've had no problems with Nod32-64, but my trial just ran out. kaspersky 2006 on the other hand is a real system hog. I hope that this is resolved before it gets out of beta. No symantec programs work with x64 other than the buisness class antivirus. I had to get Beta drivers from some random forum for my HP printer, because HP doesnt have them anywhere on their site and hasn't announced when they'll get x64 drivers. It's also annoying that they made Outlook Express a 64bit application for some completely unkown reason. This means that it wont work with office 2003s (a 32bit app) spellchecker. So I had to port all my email over to thunderbird. Why in hell would they make outlook express a 64bit app? I also seem to have really WEIRD issues with Nero so that right now it's not working.

The funny thing about x64 though is that I believe nVidias nforce and forceware drivers are MUCH more bug free and stable than in regulare 32bit Xp, go figure!

The lack of serious x64 support from most major software companies, including microsoft (where is 64bit office, dickheads?) is just beyond frustrating.

Yo'ure going the wrong way around, all apps are MEANT to be 64bit on a 64bit OS !!!
So it's "why the hell isn't MS Office 64bit ?!"...

Running at non native "bitcount" makes the app go through the emulation layer which is not that fast (for games that is, you don't care too much about office suites and the like)

I get yout point but with closed source apps, you can't expect one decade of software to be recompiled (with fixing the ocasionnal stuff) and binaries distributed for free on the internet.

linux can go all 64bit.. and still there are exceptions, closed source is there too (Flash plugin)

And the WoW was/is quite good for running 16bit applications on 32bit windows ^^, WoW64 looks good for gaming too as we saw it on 32bit game benchmarks.

I agree nevertheless, it will be more consistent if all new stuff comes in x86-64.

Ingenu said:
Yo'ure going the wrong way around, all apps are MEANT to be 64bit on a 64bit OS !!!
So it's "why the hell isn't MS Office 64bit ?!"...

Running at non native "bitcount" makes the app go through the emulation layer which is not that fast (for games that is, you don't care too much about office suites and the like)

You're missing my point. Am I really worried that my OE is going to run infinitesimally slower because its running through WOW? No. Is OE an app that gains anything from recompiling it for 64bit operation? No, again. The point is that they made it 64bit even though it's not compatible with their older software, which they apparently had no intention of updating until Vista. And yes, I AM mad that they haven't made a 64bit Office yet. In fact, other than drivers, OE and IE, they've made nothing to support their own damn product! My "Program Files" directory has nothing installed in it at all in fact! It's ludicrous.

What would have been preferable is for them to have bundled 32bit OE with the OS and then allowed one to download the 64bit OE as it's needed; say, when 64bit Office came out, so the spellcheckers would be compatible. Or hey, maybe even include a spellchecker with OE, so it wouldn't be necessary for Office to be installed at all to spellcheck ones emails.

Either way, I'm running Thunderbird now.

In answer to the thread quesion, XP-x64 has not matured and unless you really need the extra memory addressing space avoid it like the plague. MHO.

Tahir2 said:
In answer to the thread quesion, XP-x64 has not matured and unless you really need the extra memory addressing space avoid it like the plague. MHO.
It's working fine more me;)
I don't use any odd devices (driver wise) so everything is set.
Works fine, and infact runs faster since the HDD I use it on is faster than my 32 bit xp.

Back