Where Is Malice?

Goldni

Regular
I have been so looking forward to this game. Argonaut has pulled a 'Rare' with this one. My Xbox seriously needs a new game..especially one that's not mostly killing and blowing up everything. It seems that when the PS2 version was announced that that bogged down the development of Malice. Are we seeing the PS2 Syndrom again? You know how PS2 development holds back most multiplatform games. Takes forever etc. Not to stir up anything I do own 3 game machines (XB, GCN and GBA). But after seeing how platformers/puzzle/action/adventure games do on XB and PS2 if I were Sierra I'd have to throw Malice out on GCN as well.

I think most of the PS2' problem is the shelves are soooo crowded with games. And f it's not a big anticipated release ie Madden, GTAVC, FF, etc it seems to get lost on the store shelves by the cacual masses.

The XBadventure games' problem is the audience. One reason Rare was bought..which is an uphill battle in that department. I think with GCN the shelves still have room on them because there are'nt as many games. And what's there are several other choice games with similar audience appeal. I'l go ahead and predict Malice's sales for XB and PS2 to be way lower than what they ought to be. Same goes for Psyconauts etc. All though I'll buy them it seems I'm the only XB owner who wants games like these. Kind of like sales of Sports on GCN.

See what I mean? This has been posted for over 24 hours and not one single post about Malice. However, if was a topic about a Halo-like XB shooter we'd be on page 3 of 48 post right now. Nice work Argonaut..enjoy the fruits of your labor. I guess I really should let your game actually come out before I make a statement like that but I stand by my original statement that action/adventure platformers on Xbox sell like a Sega Sports game on Cube.

See what I mean? This has been posted for over 24 hours and not one single post about Malice.
I think it's more of a case of noone actually caring about that game (it looks like poo if you ask me) that it being ported over to the PS2 :LOL:

Mutliplatform crap if you ask me. It has SOME potential, but the Argonaut guys REALLY bug me. They've been taking forever.

Personally, I'm mostly looking forward to Rayman 3, which is sure to rock, and Psychonauts. Kameo isn't a platformer, but it looks good as well.

Btw, BLiNX sold close to 150k world-wide, which is a pretty good start to game that got some bad reviews.

The best system for platformers is obviously PS2 right now: J&D, R&C, ICO, Maximo. Sony beat Nintendo at their own game IMO.

Have to disagree with you Johnny. While I loved ICO and Maximo, they both bombed huge. And J & D was mediocre as far as a game and sales. Yes J & D finally made it to around a million units in US (after Sony rammed the damn commercial down everyone's throats for a whole entire year) but given the user base of PS2 that's not great. It's too early to tell about R & C. It may sell ok. A good game but not near what Sunshine is imo.

Goldni, why do you even care about sales if all you want is to play good platform game?

J&D is probably close to 2 million worldwide now. How can that be considered bad is beyond me, but some people keep insisting...

If you are looking for a good platformers on the Xbox, you will be much better off looking for Psychonauts, Tork and Rayman 3

Johnny, have you played and finished Ico? It's not really a platform game. It's more of an adventure/puzzle game in the vein of 'Out of this World'. And don't forget Klonoa 2. It's a truly excellent platform game.

I agree with Johnny even though Ico isn't really a platformer. Btw, dont forget Klonoa 2 or Sly Cooper. Two of the best out there.

"but given the user base of PS2 that's not great"

:rolleyes: any million seller in just one region could be considered 'great' regardless of userbase, espescially for an unproven franchise making it's debut such as J&D. It must be said though that the $20 price tag contributed alot to get it to platinum...

Goldni said:
Have to disagree with you Johnny. While I loved ICO and Maximo, they both bombed huge. And J & D was mediocre as far as a game and sales. Yes J & D finally made it to around a million units in US (after Sony rammed the damn commercial down everyone's throats for a whole entire year) but given the user base of PS2 that's not great. It's too early to tell about R & C. It may sell ok. A good game but not near what Sunshine is imo.

I agree with you there, ICO was amazing

According to one of the developers on the Vivendi Universal forums the PS2 version uses bump mapping.

The best system for platformers is obviously PS2 right now: J&D, R&C, ICO, Maximo. Sony beat Nintendo at their own game IMO.

You seem to forget that Sony had over a year and a half head start on GC with PS2. Even with that GC still holds up very well with Platformers. SMS, SFA and Z:WW easily match what Sony have. Sony may have more decent platformers, but quantity isn't everything and Nintendo still have the highest quality platformers.

You seem to forget that Sony had over a year and a half head start on GC with PS2. Even with that GC still holds up very well with Platformers. SMS, SFA and Z:WW easily match what Sony have. Sony may have more decent platformers, but quantity isn't everything and Nintendo still have the highest quality platformers.

Ragging on PS2's 'outdated' technology is ok then, but anything advantageous that comes with releasing it a year and a half earlier is not :?:

I don't know but a lot of the great platformers PS2 has came out around the time of GC's launch as well as into its lifespan as well. Nintendo having the "highest quality platforms" isn't a fact, but an opinion; one that I'm sure not everybody holds (I'm not big on platformers, so I have no comment).[/b]

Wether PS2 is older then GC and XBox doesn't change the fact that its outdated. But the fact that devs have had almost 2 years longer to produce PS2 games does have a massive baring on deciding wether Sony have beaten Nintendo at producing quality platformers for there respective next gen consoles.

I don't know but a lot of the great platformers PS2 has came out around the time of GC's launch as well as into its lifespan as well.

When GC launched PS2 was already 1 and a half years old.

Maybe we should compare the PS2 platformers at the same point in PS2's life as GC is at now?

Nintendo having the "highest quality platforms" isn't a fact, but an opinion

Yeah its opinion, but its hardly a far fetched opinion is it?

Basically my opinion is that PS2 has quite a few very good platformers, but it hardly demolishes GC's platformer lineup. Especially when you consider how long each console has been on the market.

Played through?.. you mean beaten the game? I haven't beaten a game since Max Payne (Fallout 2 before that, WWF No Mercy before that and F-Zero and GE before that) :) I very rarely beat games. I usually get sick of most games before the end.

I've played Maximo and R&C.. for about 1 hour each (maybe 1 and a half I wasn't watching the clock). I played them at a shop, I know the owner and he lets me play his games, usually PES2 for hours on end though :)

Teasy, Zelda is hardly a platform game.

Wether PS2 is older then GC and XBox doesn't change the fact that its outdated. But the fact that devs have had almost 2 years longer to produce PS2 games does have a massive baring on deciding wether Sony have beaten Nintendo at producing quality platformers for there respective next gen consoles.
You honestly make little sense here. What is 'outdated'? To me, GC and Xbox are also 'outdated' technology now that NV30 and ATI9700 are unrolled.

On the other hand, I can say "Whether GC is newer that PS2 or not, it doesn't change what Johnny said, and I see no point in your pointing of the time difference"

Johnny's post was very speciffic. He said 'right now' PS2 is the best choice for the platformers. That may, or may not change two years down the line but that in no way changes what he said, no matter what excuse you come up with for Nintendo.[/quote]

Teasy, Zelda is hardly a platform game.

Its as much of a platformer as ICO.

You honestly make little sense here. What is 'outdated'? To me, GC and Xbox are also 'outdated' technology now that NV30 and ATI9700 are unrolled.

It was the other bloke that brought up PS2 being outdated. I just said that when its released isn't going to change its status as far as being outdated is concerned. Wether it is or it isn't outdated when it was released has no baring on that.

On the other hand, I can say "Whether GC is newer that PS2 or not, it doesn't change what Johnny said, and I see no point in your pointing of the time difference"

So then I suppose I could announce myself the greatest chef in the world because I can make a better meal in 30 minutes then a top chef can make in 30 seconds.. wow I've got a new carear now.

Johnny's post was very speciffic. He said 'right now' PS2 is the best choice for the platformers. That may, or may not change two years down the line but that in no way changes what he said, no matter what excuse you come up with for Nintendo

I didn't say that its unfair to say that PS2 has the best platformers because its been on the market longer then GC. I said Sony have not (as Johhny said) beaten Nintendo at there own game by producing better platformers then them. Because Sony have produced those platformers over the course of 3 years while Nintendo have produced its platformers in only 1 and a half years, its hardly a fair comparison.

That's an entire post to me all based on something I didn't even say and a mis-understanding of something else I have said. Then you accuse me of saying anything to make Nintendo sound good.. saying things I haven't even said.

Sorry Teasy, but this is a case of 'having your cake and trying to eat it too'. Either you release a system early and benefit from a broader library of games or you release a system later to obtain more advanced technology. You can't have both. And an opinion is an opinion, you can't use it as a fact.

Sorry Teasy, but this is a case of 'having your cake and trying to eat it too'. Either you release a system early and benefit from a broader library of games or you release a system later to obtain more advanced technology.

I don't get it, you seem to be claiming I'm being hypocritical on the basis of something I didn't actually say. If I'd said:

"Its unfair to say that Sony have beaten Nintendo at producing platform games by producing better platform games on PS2 then Nintendo have on GC. Because PS2 has been out allot longer then GC"

Then said:

"Nintendo have beaten Sony by producing a better machine then PS2"

That would have been hypocritical and then you'd have had a point. However I have never claimed that Sony have failed, or been beaten by Nintendo because PS2 isn't as good as GC, so....

BTW, if I said "Nintendo have beaten Sony by producing a better console then them" (which I haven't of course, this is just theoretical). What would you say? You'd say that its not fair to say that because PS2 was made almost 2 years before GC. So how can you then say that its fair to say that Sony have beaten Nintendo at "there own game" (producing platformers) when they have had 3 years to that with PS2 vs the 1 and a half years Nintendo has had with GC.

Back