Stream DivX and XVid to x360

It's not actually streaming DivX. It is encoding it to WMV format on the fly, and sending it out on one of your PC's ports, X360 can pick up that feed...not the most elegant solution...but hey, it works!
http://www.mperfect.net/mceDivX360/

Once you get it installed the playback process goes like this:

1. Goto More Programs > MCEDivX_360
2. Press Build List
3. Browse your Video Shares and add fiels to playlist
4. Press Stream List
5. Back out > My Videos > MediaEncoder.asx

Voila! The ASX file will pick up the WMV stream from Media Encoder on port 8080 of the MCE machine, and you have a nice 2000-4000kbps(up to you) WMV video stream.

The author also mentioned he wil be able to make a much more streamlined app with the new Vista SDK :D

I read this on the teamxbox site and thought it was great, but now what I need is for someone to find a way to get MCE/XP through VPC on my Mac to talk to the 360.

I just wish Microsoft would allow videos to be streamed from a regular XP install. Not only MCE.

scooby_dooby said:
Don't we all. Somehow, stupidity prevailed...
Because intelligence has the ability to magically create development resources? If at the end of the Xbox 360 life we still don't have Divx streaming natively supported, I will agree with you.

Sis said:
Because intelligence has the ability to magically create development resources? If at the end of the Xbox 360 life we still don't have Divx streaming natively supported, I will agree with you.

There is absolutely nothing in windows media centre that enables streaming that is not already in windows XP, and windows 2000 for that matter. A small group of independant coders created XBMC 3 years ago, streams from all these operating systems using simple folder shares.

This has nothing to do with development resources. It was a deliberate attempt to ush windows MCE and Vista sales, basically the console gets less functionality because of another division in the company got their panties in a bunch.

I call that stupidity. IMO, it's stupid to not offer the best product you can, to deliberately withhold functionality on a product to spur sales in another completely unrelated division of the company simply results in a less appealing product.

It's not as if it would have had an impact on MCE or Vista sales anyways, it was a stupid executive decision.

p.s. I think you mis-interpreted my post, disabling streaming video from XP is is stupid, not having DivX and other codecs supported I can understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
p.s. I think you mis-interpreted my post, disabling streaming video from XP is is stupid, not having DivX and other codecs supported I can understand.
I did misunderstand--my apologies....

A developer on the xbox.com forums that worked on the dashboard said that they would have liked to implement video streaming over Windows Media Connect, but didn't have the time. Perhaps it will come in the future. It would have been nice if they could have just allowed simple network shares though...

Either way, I don't think 360 is going to be suitable as a device to handle all of your video playing for codec reasons alone (which is understandable). There's no doubt that I'm going the HTPC route.

PG2G said:
A developer on the xbox.com forums that worked on the dashboard said that they would have liked to implement video streaming over Windows Media Connect, but didn't have the time. Perhaps it will come in the future. It would have been nice if they could have just allowed simple network shares though...

Either way, I don't think 360 is going to be suitable as a device to handle all of your video playing for codec reasons alone (which is understandable). There's no doubt that I'm going the HTPC route.

The author of this little list app said that with windows Vista SDK he sould be able to actually create a "my DivX" tab within the media center menu, making the whole process much more streamlined, hopefully!

So you're actually just watching it on your PC, through your 360? What's the point of that? Why not just use tv-out? And who would use MCE on a non-htpc?

There have been many rumors and hints (some from MS I believe) that media connect will be upgraded to allow streaming to the 360. As for codecs, that's another ball of wax. :)

weaksauce said:
So you're actually just watching it on your PC, through your 360? What's the point of that? Why not just use tv-out? And who would use MCE on a non-htpc?

no i doesn't playback on the pc at all. it's encoded as a background process and is completely transparent to the user on the PC.

I have TV out but this is better cause:
1. I don't have to get up
2. 4mbps HD video stream w/ component input and optical sound
3. control playback with the remote/controller
4. I don't have to get up

You'll need a PC fast enough to encode divx -> wmv in real time, correct? That sounds like it could be an issue...

how come i hear from friends that streaming movies DO work from their xp media edition pc's? is there something i dont get?

hey69 said:
how come i hear from friends that streaming movies DO work from their xp media edition pc's? is there something i dont get?

well the world would love to hear how they've done it! because nobody knows of a way to stream DivX other than this method right here.

scooby_dooby said:
no i doesn't playback on the pc at all. it's encoded as a background process and is completely transparent to the user on the PC.

I have TV out but this is better cause:
1. I don't have to get up
2. 4mbps HD video stream w/ component input and optical sound
3. control playback with the remote/controller
4. I don't have to get up

:)

Ok but you still need to have the PC on, or HTPC with MCE (why would you else want it?) that should already be connected to the TV (because it's htpc, which also can use a remote, not to speak of the MS rev-like remote).
If you have ATI (don't know about nvidia or other) you can use VGA-SCART. You can actually buy those.

weaksauce said:
:)

Ok but you still need to have the PC on, or HTPC with MCE (why would you else want it?) that should already be connected to the TV (because it's htpc, which also can use a remote, not to speak of the MS rev-like remote).
If you have ATI (don't know about nvidia or other) you can use VGA-SCART. You can actually buy those.
Or....I could run a $10 network cable to the 360 and retain digital quality! Seems simple enough...

My HTPC is connected to my tv sure, but it's through a shitty RCA video connection. Component cables are far too expensive to be buying in 30 or 40 ft lengths, network cables are the way to go.

scooby_dooby said:
well the world would love to hear how they've done it! because nobody knows of a way to stream DivX other than this method right here.

i will ask him right away :)

edit: ignore it... i think he pulled my leg or both :(

Back